if anyone gives a shit: DC break up

the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
faux please hold back the tears...Destiny's Child announces breakup[/b]NEW YORK (AP) -- Staying together was not part of Destiny's Child's destiny -- the multiplatinum group is splitting up.In a statement released to MTV News, the trio of Beyonce, Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams announced plans to disband after their world tour ends in the fall."We have been working together as Destiny's Child since we were 9, and touring together since we were 14. After a lot of discussion and some deep soul-searching, we realized that our current tour has given us the opportunity to leave Destiny's Child on a high note, united in our friendship and filled with an overwhelming gratitude for our music, our fans, and each other," the statement said.The group was unavailable for comment Monday, but a representative said another statement would be released later in the day.The breakup of the girl group, which first debuted as a teenage R&B foursome in 1997, isn't much of a shocker. Many critics didn't expect the group to exist at all after the multiplatinum solo debut of Beyonce in 2003. Her album, "Dangerously In Love," won five Grammys and solidified her as a one-name superstar apart from the group.And the title of Destiny's Child's latest album -- "Destiny Fulfilled" -- appeared to signal the end was near.In an interview with The Associated Press in November, the women were noncommittal when asked about their future."I think as far as Destiny's Child, our main focus is for us to maintain our friendship. And if in three years, five years, 10 years, whenever we decide we wanna do another Destiny's Child record, then we will do it," Beyonce said. "But I think our main goal was to do this next record, and I think we just wanna eventually have kids that play together."Beyonce and Rowland have been members of the group since it was formed in their hometown of Houston. They scored instant success with their debut, thanks to the hit "No No No (Part I)." Back then, the founding members also included LeToya Luckett and LaTavia Roberson.But after the release of their second album, 1999's "The Writing's On The Wall," Luckett and Roberson were booted from the group. (The duo later sued the group and Beyonce's manager-father, Matthew Knowles, and reached a settlement.)Michelle Williams and Farrah Franklin replaced Roberson and Luckett the same year, but Franklin was later dropped, making the group a trio.Among the group's biggest hits have been "Bootylicious," "Survivor" and "Independent Women (Part I)." All of their albums have sold at least 1 million copies; their latest has sold more than 2 million.Besides Beyonce, Rowland and Williams have released solo albums -- with less fanfare.Despite the impending breakup, the women pledged to remain close friends."After all these wonderful years working together, we realized that now is the time to pursue our personal goals and solo efforts in earnest," the statement said. "No matter what happens, we will always love each other as friends and sisters and will always support each other as artists. We want to thank all of our fans for their incredible love and support and hope to see you all again as we continue fulfilling our destinies."

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    faux please hold back the tears...

They've got some good songs, though... stop haTTing.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Seriously, they have some of the best tunes while maintaining possibly the lowest standard for lyrics ever, even for top 40 radio. I mean, 'Soldier' was the perfect example. Great tune, but when you listened to anything but the chorus....whew, that was some seriously suspect writing right there.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I thought they broke up years ago. Last performance of theirs I remember was at a Superbowl.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    "leaving on a high note"?

that last album sucked.

anyways, michael jackson verdict in 1 hour, my media whore brethren.

that last album sucked.

serious?

Seriously, they have some of the best tunes while maintaining possibly the lowest standard for lyrics ever, even for top 40 radio. I mean, 'Soldier' was the perfect example. Great tune, but when you listened to anything but the chorus....whew, that was some seriously suspect writing right there.

I think you're just mad that your status isn't hood and that they therefore are not checking for you.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

that last album sucked.

serious?

its the buzz here at the office...waiting to see see the reinactment folks get into make-up for this

I think you're just mad that your status isn't hood and that they therefore are not checking for you.

yeah, but do you have to pull my card like that in front of urrrbody?

I maintain that I am as 'street' as Michelle will ever be. Can I get a witness?

Man, Michelle is probably the realest one in the group.

I know Matthew Knowles wouldn't even let Kelly and Beyonce talk to most of the dudes they describe in that song.

At least Michelle is like 37 years old and can make her own decisions.

I know Matthew Knowles wouldn't even let Kelly and Beyonce talk to most of the dudes they describe in that song.

At least Michelle is like 37 years old and can make her own decisions.

Ha Ha Ha! true. I have always thought she looks like their professional guidance counselor/chaperrone.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    bwahahaha

I love it how you hate on 99 percent of all music Faux Rillz, calling everything "garbage" and "sacless". Then when you do admit to actually liking something its like 12 year old girl music- Destiny's Child, Nelly, Ludacris. Comedy.

bwahahaha

I love it how you hate on 99 percent of all music Faux Rillz, calling everything "garbage" and "sacless". Then when you do admit to actually liking something its like 12 year old girl music- Destiny's Child, Nelly, Ludacris. Comedy.

I almost posted a serious response to this.

Then I remembered that you are beneath me.

whoa. faux, you like nelly?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    bwahahaha

I almost posted a serious response to this.

Then I remembered that you are beneath me.

*this is what it sounds like when Faux Rills cries*

Sure.

You don't like "Hot in Herre"?

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Yeah who cares!
    Theyy were always Beyonce and them Other chicks ..However Kelly Rowland has been lookin good I think she got some work done....
    Anyways now America can focus its attention soley on the hotness of beyonce... This is a big upgrade!

Sure.

I am diggin that Fat Joe/Nelly joint, "get it Poppin'" or whutever it's called.
    Reminds me of Trouble Funk's 'Let Get Small'

Sure.

nope. but i did kinda like that "shake a tailfeather" song. but i have to admit, i did kinda like that "shake a tailfeather" song. well, i liked the video...

Sure.

nope. but i did kinda like that "shake a tailfeather" song. but i have to admit, i did kinda like that "shake a tailfeather" song. well, i liked the video...

You liked it so much you had to say it twice?

Actually, not even I can defend that song.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Haha, yeah you are so above me with your knowledge of pop radio groups ya spoonfed puppet.

oops. im trying to type and watch the helicopter shots of the michael jackson motorcade at the same time. multitasking like a mofo.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

Yes! Michelle's much foxier than Beyonce. She's overrated.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Haha, yeah you are so above me with your knowledge of pop radio groups ya silver[/b]spoonfed puppet.

She's much foxier than Beyonce. She's overrated.

while I find Michelle to be pretty, hot[/b] is not a word that comes to mind. Now Ms Rowland, she is freakin' hot[/b], IMO.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

She's much foxier than Beyonce. She's overrated.

while I find Michelle to be pretty, hot[/b] is not a word that comes to mind. Now Ms Rowland, she is freakin' hot[/b], IMO.

Nah Michelle looks all alien forehead! but Rowland has done something and it's working she's looking good! I think she got a nose job ...

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I think she got a nose job ...

Not natural beauty

i wont lie. i honestly dont know what the other 2 destiny childs look like cuz im so focused on beyonce.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    i wont lie. i honestly dont know what the other 2 destiny childs look like cuz im so focused on beyonce.
    Dude she uses Booty hynoses to block the other two out I'm tellin you... last year I didn't even realize Prince was on stage with her at the Grammys

Dude she uses Booty hynoses to block the other two out I'm tellin you... last year I didn't even realize Prince was on stage with her at the Grammys

MUST BUY LATEST DESTINY'S CHILD ALBUM

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

MUST BUY LATEST DESTINY'S CHILD ALBUM

See normally you would be like oh damn two pretty girls on stage. Not here the Booty has eclipsed the other girl...You will do it's bidding....MUUHHAAAHHAAA!!!