Comments

• undrealundreal 29 Posts
    There is a torrent for this movie (for all you e-pirates out there). I thought the movie was pretty good, but the middle dragged a bit (even for 65 minute long movie). The ending, however, was pretty incredible and made it worthwhile.

And oh yeah, NO DIALOGUE...

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Did you catch Interstella:5555? That was RIDICULOUS! I mean, you have to love the music to get with it, but I was stoked to find it (even if it was a pirated DVD) a few years back. The colours, the gayness, the DISCONESS. Wow. Can??t believe they??re doing another one, gonna have to check that out.

- J

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Cosmophonic
    Braek Collector

Reged: 11/01/03

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    first clip is absolute facemeltery

• chasechase 767 Posts
    never been a big fan, is all there stuff just one loop?

• macacamacaca 278 Posts

congratulations on making the most ignorant post of the week!

one loop?
    wasnt 90% of hip hop from like 88-94 based around one sample,
    or 'loop' as you call it. sure, the bulk of their tracks are
    from the late 90s, and maybe they should have tried something new.
    but you clearly dont know anything about house, or techno music -
    which is fine, you probably dont want to...
    but how the fuck can you front on their costumes?

p.s im saying this not even being that big of a fan myself,
    but seriously?

the movie, and idea alone, are dope.

• chasechase 767 Posts

but you clearly dont know anything about house, or techno music -

clearly

but how the fuck can you front on their costumes?

I could never think of "fronting" on there costumes.

p.s.

I just said I wasn't a fan, and in no way said I didn't like them.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Sounds like it.

I'm about to put a mask on and make some money!

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    gee, i didnt know that icon was coming. original.
    anyone that has a difference of an ignorant opinion is a mad doggie?!! LOL
    but i said i wasnt a fan either, so as it turns out we CAN be friends!
    like seriously, the costume reference was pretty much a joke,
    but since it was taken otherwise...
    i guess you have nothing to say
    about the loop comment? cool.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I don't know if you're talking to me or Chase, but it did sound like you got a likkle heated over his comment.

I haven't seen the video and don't know enough about those dudes to form an opinion.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i gotta agree with the loop thing. cant really call them out on that if you don't call out virtually every rap song from the late 80s to 90s

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    i like that edwin birdsong loop though

• chasechase 767 Posts

oh dont worry, I laughed.

I didnt know this had become an organized debate

I was just asking a question about there music, no need to bust out your vast knowleadge of house/techno music or 80/90s hip hop on my ass. I have probably never heard a whole song by these robotic men.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    I was actually surprised to come across some Daft samples, as the songs don't really sound sampled, they sound like they are made up on synths mostly. And thats the point really isn't it?

I would have bought that they jagged a bassline or some vocals or something, but if you had told me that they were mostly straight loops without proof i wouldn't have believed you. Their production is unfuckwitable. I haven't heard anyone who comes close to their sound, and plenty try.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    i gotta agree with the loop thing. cant really call them out on that if you don't call out virtually every rap song from the late 80s to 90s

I think the whole thing about the loops with Daft Punk is that, for the most part, a lot of people think they are tweaking synths and creating a lot of their stuff from scratch. I mean I didn't know there was such a similarity between their songs and the songs they sample. Not that I think any less of them for doing it - hell I've looped up shit enough myself so I can't harp on them for it. But I AM surprised by it.

What it really does to me though is make me want to check out the songs they've sampled. Sounds like some pretty raw synth work on a lot of those. Ok, cept maybe the Manilow.

I guess my point about the whole thing is that of course it doesn't makes Daft Punk some sort of cop outs or cheats. But I didn't think that kind of house/techno usually used such obvious looping. I mean some of those just sound like some EQuing and extra drums added. In all honesty, this actually makes me MORE interested in Daft Punk production - and house sampling in general. Anyone know any other examples of this kind of thing in the house world?

OH. AND I want to listen to Homework now. And on a side note... I think it's funny that I'd rather find a torrent for it than track down the box that the CD is in and pull it out. Sign of the times.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    I would have bought that they jagged a bassline or some vocals or something, but if you had told me that they were mostly straight loops without proof i wouldn't have believed you. Their production is unfuckwitable. I haven't heard anyone who comes close to their sound, and plenty try.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts

oh dont worry, I laughed.

I didnt know this had become an organized debate

I was just asking a question about there music, no need to bust out your vast knowleadge of house/techno music or 80/90s hip hop on my ass. I have probably never heard a whole song by these robotic men.

Well, it's true that a lot of their songs are loop based, but it's not all just straight up loops of old disco records (both members used to run labels, Crydamoure and Roul??, that focused more on that type of house). Their last album wasn't great and the Discovery album is really a love it or hate it type album, but if you're interested in a good house record (probably not ) I would give their debut album Homework a listen or this excellent album that inspired Daft Punk to make their first records:

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    ...now back to the movie. DOESN'T THIS LOOK INCREDIBLE???

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    ...now back to the movie. DOESN'T THIS LOOK INCREDIBLE???

my friend played one of the robots in that movie! he got to go to france for a film festival and everything.

dudes, daft punk is so ill. I cant believe soulstrut is actually hating on them for using samples.

I mean SOULSTRUT of all places is hating on them for using samples!! this is still soulstrut right?

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    daft punk can rock a loop for 6 min.

and that movie looks insane. the ice cream cone flop cracks me up.

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    thank you!
    i thought i was in the twilight zone for a second.

• M1NYAM1NYA 18 Posts
    Diss Daft Punk , you diss yourself, and all of French House...

Crydamoure, Vulture, etc...

Rocking loops? For sure.. but also flipping samples super nice...

Karen Young.. Hot Shot etc.

Harder Better Faster STronger or whatever... crazy vocoder melodies.

man alive.. longtime lurker, amazed that Soulstrut has fallen off here...

NO wonder people are 'taking it to the breaks.com'...... where is the 'I stubbed my toenail' thread?

PPS... the movie is nuts... waaay too long, but Todd Rundgren intro and amazing visuals = awesome. Also, the anime DVD is great too

DUNK1

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

Harder Better Faster STronger or whatever... crazy vocoder melodies.
    hells yeah.
    you cannot front of this shit

• M1NYAM1NYA 18 Posts
    YouTube comes through again! Good stuff!

DUNK1

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Cosmophonic
    Braek Collector

Reged: 11/01/03

Hahaha! And all I did was heartily endorse Daft Punk.

Feel the flame, dude, feel the FLAME.

- J