delirious writers abound in 206

novocaine132novocaine132 337 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
...When Clipse finally released Hell Hath No Fury, the long-delayed, much anticipated follow-up to their 2002 debut, Lord Willin', this past November, I was stunned to see how many critics and bloggers around the country praised it, including Pitchfork, the tastemakers of all things indie rock (which undeniably translates to "white rocker music"). Although I liked Lord Willin' back when it came out, I really did not want to believe the hype surrounding Hell Hath No Fury. I didn't bother listening to it until a few weeks ago.During Clipse's four-year absence, the landscape of hip-hop and rap music changed dramatically. No longer was rap music primarily an East/West Coast thing. Lil' Jon placed ATL's crunk music in the spotlight, Paul Wall and Slim Thug helped Houston's fertile rap scene explode, and then E-40 put East Bay hyphy on the map. So, where did all this hype for Hell Hath No Fury come from, especially from a whole new breed of white critics?"Clipse are great writers, are doing some really unique shit, and have an appealing sound, but they're not really scary dudes," says music journalist, HoustonSoReal blogger, and promoter Matt Sonzala, who has been involved in the Houston rap scene as long as some of these fresh critics have been able to speak. "I just think a lot of these critics are on a lot of cocaine and identify with that."Also, a lot of the kids???the writer kids, the industry kids???when they were starting out, they were laying into the alternative rap tracks, stuff that Def Jux was doing. But the thing is, you don't get laid listening to that. A lot of these dudes turned their back on Aesop Rock and all that shit that got them into rap in the first place."Sonzala, who is white, has a point. People don't want to nod their heads and be conscious about the "message" anymore. They want to party. Mainstream rap music, for the most part, has become music tailor-made for clubs???where women will shake their asses, and men love it. "You want to party, be around girls, and get laid. I think it has really evolved," he says. And where there's a party, there are drugs, something Clipse know about all too well, that critics eat up with a spoon. "A lot of these kids snort a lot of coke. They're celebrating this shit..." - Travis Ritter, Seattle Weekly

Unplug my hyperbaric and stop the world, I want to get off.

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Wow.

This is great.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Faux_Rills catnip

• I wouldn't have punked this kid, but the stuff about listening to hip-hop just to get laid killed me.

can't afford cologne?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I wouldn't have punked this kid, but the stuff about listening to hip-hop just to get laid killed me.

Well, he is talking about hipster white kids ...

... you don't think the smedium set listens to hip hop
    sometimes just to be down with fine white girls?

• I don't know anything about Matt Sonzala, but doesn't he seem to be fucking with this guy?

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

oh, so since 02 rap music has moved into the way of dancing and partying? it always was! conscious rap went out in 89. not much has changed since 02 except that the newtunes aren't quite as hot right now. the writers in seattle are mostly under educated on the topic of hip hop. every few years the write a story on the seattle scene and act like its the first time they've done so and then praise a bunch of newbies who don't really deserve it do to their lack of talent and time in the game. i love rap.