Jackson 5 Appreciation Post

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
f'reals man Mikey may be the focus with his issues right now but back in the days these dudes were unfadable.

Of all the kiddee groups these dudes is still king, from the songs to the dance moves to the playing they did no wrong for the longest.
Hip-hop owes a debt of gratitude to these dudes too.

Death mix
OPP
10,000,000 other songs I can't remember.

and the final reason to appreciate them....THEY HAD THEIR OWN CARTOON

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    dudes definitely had some deep album cuts...maybe as much about the people around them as anything, but they came with some shit that went beyond kiddie-funk and teenie-bopper styles...all those records are loaded with good tracks - their first five albums were released over the course of less than 16 months!

My fav is "Third Album" but I definitely feel the version of "I'll Bet You" on ABC, and the "Goin' Back to Indiana" LP is rugged and rough...for a bunch of kids...

• favorite album-third album

favorite song -"reach in" on the third album

thats a cut!

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I wanna be where you are is another BOMB.

• Diamante_DDiamante_D 215 Posts
    Their version of Ain't no Sunshine is heavy too.

• SpinatraSpinatra 39 Posts
    anyone know if 'It's great to be here' is available on 45? Always looking for that one and not finding...

• ...Hum Along & Dance.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Can these dudes get a lil love tho?

Get someone that has no clue to listen to One Bad Apple... Alot will think it's Michael.

• Diamante_DDiamante_D 215 Posts

Get someone that has no clue to listen to One Bad Apple... Alot will think it's Michael.

Crazy Horses is the Osmond heater

• blaqsoulblaqsoul 61 Posts
    anyone know if 'It's great to be here' is available on 45? Always looking for that one and not finding...

I think you can stop lookin' pretty sure it was never a single. There's a slim chance that it may be on a non-US 45 as a b-side.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts

yeah me too
    i gave up looking ,if it does exist I think its a really rare promo????
    But i thought I saw a pic of it a few years ago on ebay ? and it had a regular blue motown label.
    maybe I hallucinated it

Never seen that or "Life of the Party". Do these exist on 45?

• blaqsoulblaqsoul 61 Posts
    "Life Of The Party" does exist. It came out in the UK as an A-Side.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Cool...thanks for letting me know...hope to find it someday.

• I always loved their version of 'I'll Bet You' (the Funkadelic tune)

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Hell yeah! I love the jackson 5!

Actually Jackie jackson has been letting us use sound city studios in burbank for free for the past few months! Hes real chill, he even put down some shakers on one beat. haha.

Hes got tons of crazy ass stories from way back in the day. He keeps talking about how he needs beats for the new jackson 5 album. And i keep thinking, as cool is dude is, a new jackson 5 album?

He insists its going down though. He's always on the phone with the other brothers, and seems absolutely sure he can drag michael down to burbank to record something! Personally, theres no way I can even see mike phoning in vocals. Jail or no jail.

Regardless though, the jackson 5 are dope. They must have sold a shitload of wax though cause even jackie is rediculously paid.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    i like this

breaks.

need more Jackson 5 in my life.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    dudes definitely had some deep album cuts...maybe as much about the people around them as anything, but they came with some shit that went beyond kiddie-funk and teenie-bopper styles

like the jazzy vocals on "looking through the windows"

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    i like this

breaks.

Homie:

Looking at the Jackson 5 for breaks is like going to a nice restaurant just to take a shit.

• i like this

breaks.

Homie:

Looking at the Jackson 5 for breaks is like going to a nice restaurant just to take a shit.

Made my day.

Like that old Funkadelic song: "you hit the nail on the head!"

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

Yo anyone in L.A. ever drop a deuce at that nice Archlight theatre across from Ameoba. Man onetime I ate some bad Chinese on Melrose and when me and my homes got to Ameoba I was hurtin. Going back a forwth from that spot to Ameoba for like 3 hours. My boy was like "where are you hiding at?" ... WORD!

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Can't a guy talk about his bodily functions with out killin a thread!

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Anyone elses copy of ABC paper thin? When I pick up mine holding just one side it bends. It's like two or three sheets of paper glued together.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

When the snares hit and they go into "Walk On By" it's That groove is just so nasty. I like all the early Jackson 5, even some of the later Jacksons disco stuff. They were way beyond kiddie or boyband even though they were huge teen idols.

J5 under-the-radar cut: part one of "I Am Love" from:

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
    Yeah, I dig It's Great To Be Here and all (especially that recent Kenny dope reimx/edit), but by FAR their ILLEST joint was ENJOY YOURSELF!!!!!!

Man, that song was so serious. That was THE song in my 3rd grade class boy.

One of the first 45's I bought to boot.

When I got my first pair of turntables years later, my 45 doubles of ENJOY YOURSELF taped to my pops old Kingston Trio lps became my first "practice records".

WE CAN TEAR THE HOUSE DOWN

WE CAN TEAR THE HOUSE DOWN

WE CAN TEAR - THE WHOLE HOUSE DOWN

WOOOOO!!!!

ENJOY YOURDELF

ENJOY YOURDELF

ENJOY YOURDELF WITH ME

ENJOY YOURDELF

ENJOY YOURDELF

ENJOY YOURDELF WITH ME

Evidence...

Enjoy Yourself...Get Down Get Down

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    ...Hum Along & Dance.

That's that heat. Did anyone get the extendend 11 min. rmx that was featured on the cd featuring the rare Boogie album paired w/ Joyful Jukebox Music. Apparently,Motown went to the vaults after Thriller, and compiled some tracks.The result being Boogie. Whatever. The cd only "new/unreleased" track was Hum Along and Dance(Extended). I cant tell if its a modern remix or the original unshaved studio track. I'm leaning more towards the former.
    Im a bonafide Jackson family collector, omitting Latoya, who I always see in the bins. I read there was a red vinyl promo-only pressing of one of the earlier J5 albums. Its officially listed in SoulSation J5 Cd book.

J5 under-the-radar cut: part one of "I Am Love"

Not quite unknown. "I Am Love" was a massive hit single for them back in the time, although you hardly ever hear it on oldies or dusties formats today. It's a fine ballad - AT FIRST. Then that funk jam kicks in at the end...great record.

Not quite unknown. "I Am Love" was a massive hit single for them back in the time, although you hardly ever hear it on oldies or dusties formats today. It's a fine ballad - AT FIRST. Then that funk jam kicks in at the end...great record.

Far from under the radar. Im sure it was a single as well.

It was (like I just said ). My own copy is on a 7".

Not only did it cross over to the pop stations, but I recall an episode of THE JEFFERSONS where George comes home after a day on the grind, singing "I AM LOOOOOVE..."

Here's a real under-the-radar J5 track: "Oh How Happy," which was buried on the THIRD ALBUM. The song was so good that Berry Gordy himself is singing during one of the choruses (if you hear some offkey bass voice, that was him).

It was (like I just said ). My own copy is on a 7".

Not only did it cross over to the pop stations, but I recall an episode of THE JEFFERSONS where George comes home after a day on the grind, singing "I AM LOOOOOVE..."

Here's a real under-the-radar J5 track: "Oh How Happy," which was buried on the THIRD ALBUM. The song was so good that Berry Gordy himself is singing during one of the choruses (if you hear some offkey bass voice, that was him).

Under the Radar: "You Made Me What I Am Today" SKYWRITER.

When the snares hit and they go into "Walk On By" it's That groove is just so nasty. I like all the early Jackson 5, even some of the later Jacksons disco stuff. They were way beyond kiddie or boyband even though they were huge teen idols.

Public Enemy used that for "BY THE TIME I GET TO ARIZONA" st8bangin'