Best of the West

erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Lately I've been listening to a lot of outer-spacey west coast g-funk synth-type stuff on the more recent side of things ('97-present). Particularly instrumental versions. Some examples are like Snoop's "Backup Ho", Xzibit's "Get Your Walk On Remix" and, of course, The Chronic 2001. Can anyone point me in the direction of some lesser known (though ideally still relatively easy to find) 12"s or LPs with this sound. The spacier or freakier the synths the better. Thanks!

Comments

• ANYTHING produced by DJ Quik

• Bloods & Crips

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    pretty well known but I enjoyed Kurupt - Space Boogie: Smoke Oddessey, pretty spacey hence the title its synth galore as well my friend

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    Anything produced by Battlecat or Fredwreck. Of course have to co sign Quik. Was just listening to that Snoop album where he did a lot of slaps. Shit was heavily slept on.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Kurupt - Callin Out Names

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Kurupt - Callin Out Names

aka Daze' anthem.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    paging Daze?

quik
    eastidaz
    kurupt
    dillinger & young gotti
    soopafly
    daz
    fred wreck productions
    battlecat productions
    big hutch
    mausberg
    suga free
    wc
    kokane
    mad cj mac
    konnected project
    goldie loc
    bad azz
    chico & coolwadda
    mitchy slick
    19th street comp
    c-bo
    various black market projects
    spice 1
    keek da sneak
    comrades
    allfrumthei
    various ea ski productions

shall i continue????

by the way... i suggest settling for the cd for most music in this genre

and Space Boogie sucked

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    oregano flow- digital underground

new day/its your attitude- south circle

space age pimpin- 8ball & MJG

oregano flow- digital underground

"swingin them nouns and verbs ...ya couldn't hear me with binoculuuuuurrs"

• oregano flow- digital underground

One of the Bay's greatest dollar records. 85 bpm of digital funk at its finest.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

bad azz

"personal business" is really really good. "how we get down" still gets frequent spins.

"how we get down" still gets frequent spins.

"how we get down" is my ....i'm ironing my clothes..gettin my two step on..with the phone pressed against my ear and shoulder... about to go out and have some muthafuckin fun anthem

bad azz

"personal business" is really really good. "how we get down" still gets frequent spins.

More Battlecat greatness right there hommies. Get that Bookie album if you can find it too. Battlecat has a couple "g'd up", "that's how we get down" calibur slaps on it. All that early Suave House was dope too. Not west coast but had a lot of the same musical elements with a southern feel of course.

• oregano flow- digital underground

One of the Bay's greatest dollar records. 85 bpm of digital funk at its finest.

I'll see your OF and raise you a "We Got More"...

• EscalanteEscalante 197 Posts
    Are you talking about Bookie from The Survivlast out of AZ?

Are you talking about Bookie from The Survivlast out of AZ?

yup yup

• EscalanteEscalante 197 Posts
    Yea...Mos Def dope shit.. He's a cool Mufuka too.Bumped into him at a studio once. I got a couple copies of his original ep on wax. He may be the one to do something for AZ. Little tired of seeing only NBK getting radio play outside AZ.

• fredwreck productions- yes, was just listening to some of the remixes he did for the BUMS

battlecat productions - Dude's got a new joint with encredible hulk/tash, digging it

konnected project - OH fuck yes

kokane - and Cold 187um = a good combination?

chico & coolwadda - These cats seem to be slept on, some decent grooves on that lp and it's only 50 cents!

19th street comp - LBC rap killer?

c-bo - LIquor STo'

keek da sneak - Yaddddttididid

also, check for shit on the Bungalo imprint...lotta decent LA area 12"s and cheap.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

fredwreck productions- yes, was just listening to some of the remixes he did for the BUMS

battlecat productions - Dude's got a new joint with encredible hulk/tash, digging it

konnected project - OH fuck yes

kokane - and Cold 187um = a good combination?

chico & coolwadda - These cats seem to be slept on, some decent grooves on that lp and it's only 50 cents!

19th street comp - LBC rap killer?

c-bo - LIquor STo'

keek da sneak - Yaddddttididid

also, check for shit on the Bungalo imprint...lotta decent LA area 12"s and cheap.

Quik is shittin' on Bungalo in his Scratch magazine interview, which, incidentally, is some super-scientifical madness, and I mean that as a compliment. Quik is so dope and so underappreciated.