Funk-a-me Street

Firebird75Firebird75 35 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Ok so I'm back here for a song ID. Get used to it.Listening to Funk Factory's "Rein va plus" (thanks Diamante D for the info!) made me think of this dope tune from Sesame St in the 70's, which accompanied an animation of the inside of a pinball machine, with the viewer's perspective following the ball through it. "Onetwothreefour, five, sixsev-eneightnineten, el-eventwe-lve....."Please tell me this is one one of the Sesame St albums....and which one it is!!!!! And actually, while on this point, how many of you out there are like me and was in love with the funk way back, as a little one? I distinctly remember being 5 in 1980 and realising that music had finally, completely changed from what I knew and loved, and not knowing about trends, being sad that music was now not as good as it used to be. I remember as a child in the 80s pining and wondering if music would ever go back to the way I liked it. I'd better send premonitions back to comfort my little self, hahahCheers

Comments

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Ok so I'm back here for a song ID. Get used to it.

Listening to Funk Factory's "Rein va plus" (thanks Diamante D for the info!) made me think of this dope tune from Sesame St in the 70's, which accompanied an animation of the inside of a pinball machine, with the viewer's perspective following the ball through it. "Onetwothreefour, five, sixsev-eneightnineten, el-eventwe-lve....."

Please tell me this is one one of the Sesame St albums....and which one it is!!!!!

And actually, while on this point, how many of you out there are like me and was in love with the funk way back, as a little one? I distinctly remember being 5 in 1980 and realising that music had finally, completely changed from what I knew and loved, and not knowing about trends, being sad that music was now not as good as it used to be. I remember as a child in the 80s pining and wondering if music would ever go back to the way I liked it. I'd better send premonitions back to comfort my little self, hahah

Cheers

the "number song" (by the pointer sisters) is indeed from sesame street, but, unfortunately is not on any sesame street vinyl. Fortunately, Ninja Tune re-rereleased this tune along with some C-is-for-Cookie disco on a 12" a little while back. For other funky sesame street, the pointer sisters do a good version of "Yes we can can" on 'the stars come out on sesame street'.

As for the other part of your comment, I too was 5 in 1980 (it's the big 3-0 year...!) and there being something that I really liked about funky music before I turned into a nerd really liking funky music. I used to listen to ABC alot as a youngster..

• Ok so I'm back here for a song ID. Get used to it.

Listening to Funk Factory's "Rein va plus" (thanks Diamante D for the info!) made me think of this dope tune from Sesame St in the 70's, which accompanied an animation of the inside of a pinball machine, with the viewer's perspective following the ball through it. "Onetwothreefour, five, sixsev-eneightnineten, el-eventwe-lve....."

Wasn't that pinball shit from the Electric Company?

Peace...
    FNM

• Actually, it was from the Electric Company...

That song really had me enthralled as a kid. It's actually the only thing I remember from the Electric Company... But I watched it all the time.

"A funky nostalgia fest.

Remix of The Pinball Song from The Electric Company.

Video features footage that accompanied it on the show and scenes from The Beatles' Yellow Submarine movie. "

http://www.milkandcookies.com/links/7850/
    pretty dope remix...

Peace...
    FNM

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Ok so I'm back here for a song ID. Get used to it.

Wasn't that pinball shit from the Electric Company?

Peace...
    FNM

yep

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Actually, it was from the Electric Company...

That song really had me enthralled as a kid. It's actually the only thing I remember from the Electric Company... But I watched it all the time.

if im wrong, joke's on me, but im almost positive that was from sesame street. that was the show that taught you to count to 12. electric company just taught you how to read.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

if im wrong, joke's on me, but im almost positive that was from sesame street. that was the show that taught you to count to 12. electric company just taught you how to read.

C is for Cookie was a counting song?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

C is for Cookie was a counting song?

...and they taught you the ABC's too. (among other things)

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I took a picture of the back of the ninja tune 12" release, definately sesame street. It features a composite of number 2-12 from the pinball number count. Wish it was a better pic, fuck a photobucket resize...

• I know for a fact that that shit was Electric Company...

Like I said, it's the only thing I remember from the show.

However, there seems to be alot of conflicting info on the net about it after a preliminary google.

I think it's because the same guy was the musical director for both shows... Joe Raposo.

Anyhow.

Electric Company... belee dat. I don't care what the record says, that shit was from the Electric Company.

Peace...
    FNM

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I just looked at the video clip you posted and it could be that it was on both shows. I say this because the song on the video sounds different than the one I have on record and also the images on the sleeve and the images in the video are completely different. and if the musical director was the same dude for both shows, then its likely to ahve been on both

• Shit is a mystery...

The Pinball Number Count is included on a "the music of Sesame Street" box set.

The link I posted says its from the electric company, while the front page of the link had a picture from sesame street.

I'm thinking it was put on a sesame street comp out of confusion, since the musical director did the music for both shows...

• I just looked at the video clip you posted and it could be that it was on both shows. I say this because the song on the video sounds different than the one I have on record and aso the images on the sleeve and the images in the video are completely different. does Electric Compan have anything to do with the Sesame Workshop?

Ok...

Here's another clip. http://publicaddress.typepad.com/hello/2004/12/counting.html

Now... this one is different too. On the site that said this was on a sesame street box set, it described this song as "kinda free form jazz". This sounds a little closer to that description...

And this sounds a little bit different from what I remember as a kid... The original was a little more hype maybe?

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Maybe it was on Electric Company too, but I know for certain it was on Sesame Street. I know because Electric Company was cancelled before I was even born. At most, I've maybe caught a snippet of the show once or twice in syndication, whereas I've heard the number song like thirty times minimum.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I don't know which show it was on, but I remember the original had both Eddie Van Halen and Vincent Price on it, but then they cut there parts out when it went into reruns.

• I don't know which show it was on, but I remember the original had both Eddie Van Halen and Vincent Price on it, but then they cut there parts out when it went into reruns.

That was Sammy Haggar and Vincent Price.