Texas Prison Rodeo Soul

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Every year between '73 - '81 the Texas Prison Rodeo in Huntsville put out an LP to sell at their annual rodeo. All the music was by the inmates. Mostly C&W but each LP had 2-3 soul/funk cuts. SOI was nice enough to download two of them for me and I was thinking about putting together a comp of all the Soul cuts. Please give these two a listen and rate them on a scale of 1-10. Remember these were recorded in prison without the luxury of a good studio. Want to hear what you think.Thanks.http://www.sendspace.com/file/zv3enoKim Holloway - If You Haven't Seen the Rain http://www.sendspace.com/file/qbcornJessie Hill - Just One More Time

Comments

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    The Kim Holloway is a nice track with great gospelish undertones. Jesse I'm not feeling as much. I'd say 8 on the first and 2 on the second.

Are you thinking of doing it legit or boot?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    If I do, it will be legit......don't need any ex-Prison Rodeo Clowns showing up at my house!!!

Thanks for the comments.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    Start with the warden. Break him and you've got access to the complete prison records.

• I personally thought the second track was better but like them both...put me down for a copy if you go ahead with this...

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    hi rich.

i'd rate them both around a 6.

i remember having one of those lp's while i was down there. i think i probably bought it from dave foreman. didn't remember liking the soul tunes on it though. actually come to think of it, i think that was from oklahoma, not texas.

are there any that you've heard that stand out?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The LP that those 2 tracks are from
    WAS from Oklahoma - also, does anyone
    know, is that THE Jessie Hill, of
    "Whip It On Me" etal fame??

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The LP that those 2 tracks are from
    WAS from Oklahoma - also, does anyone
    know, is that THE Jessie Hill, of
    "Whip It On Me" etal fame??

Shit....you are right....I forgot which one I had sent you......I have a couple of the Texas ones here right now.....I'll put the good cuts on CD and send them to you SOI....you can judge if they are hits or shitz.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    When i first read this post that Big dude from Stir Crazy came to mind. Grossburger.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I've picked up a few of these records over the years. The music when matched to their background stories makes for an interesting project. Has almost an outsider music / folklore aspect to it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I've picked up a few of these records over the years. The music when matched to their background stories makes for an interesting project. Has almost an outsider music / folklore aspect to it.

Sounds interesting.