video/audio req: "being a hip-hop DJ" news feature

mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
hopefully, some of you will know what I'm talking about and maybe one of you has the actual thing... I remember a few DJ's (turntablists at the time) sampled a news feature on the "art of being a hip-hop DJ" which included "mixing, scratching, and ..."included the phrase: "what does it take to be a hip-hop DJ"pretty sure a jump-up/jungle DJ (J-Boogie?) from Philly used it on one of his mixtapes. ...a bunch of others have used it too.anyways, if you have audio and/or video of the original souce, could you please post it or send it to me...I'd greatly appreciate it.thanks!

Comments

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I'm pretty sure you're talking about the "Hip Hop" episode of 20/20 that aired in the 80's. It had Phase 2, Michael Holman, Crazy Legs, etc. I used to have that video somewhere but I'm not too sure what I did with it.

Hope that helps

btw - *Happy Birthday, my man!*

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    I'm pretty sure you're talking about the "Hip Hop" episode of 20/20 that aired in the 80's. It had Phase 2, Michael Holman, Crazy Legs, etc. I used to have that video somewhere but I'm not too sure what I did with it.

Hope that helps
    you might be right but i'm not sure. from the tone of the samples it sounded like the focus was purely on the "art of being a hip-hop DJ[/b]"

but i dunno. it'd help if i had a clip but i'm pretty sure i don't have that drum & bass tape any more

btw - *Happy Birthday, my man!* thanks. plaese report to the celebration thread.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Hope that helps
    you might be right but i'm not sure. from the tone of the samples it sounded like the focus was purely on the "art of being a hip-hop
    DJ[/b]"

but i dunno. it'd help if i had a clip but i'm pretty sure i don't have that drum & bass tape any more

If I remember right, they go through all the 4ELEMENTS SON and that was just one part. I could be wrong tho, it's been a long time since I've seen it.

btw - *Happy Birthday, my man!*
    thanks. plaese report to the celebration thread.

will do

• pretty sure a jump-up/jungle DJ (J-Boogie?) from Philly used it on one of his mixtapes. ...a bunch of others have used it too.

This doesn't really help, but J-Smooth (from philly) used it on his tape "Soul" which was MY SHIT when I was 16-17. I loved that tape.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

pretty sure a jump-up/jungle DJ (J-Boogie?) from Philly used it on one of his mixtapes. ...a bunch of others have used it too.

This doesn't really help, but J-Smooth (from philly) used it on his tape "Soul" which was MY SHIT when I was 16-17. I loved that tape.
    thanks!! yeh, i knew it was J-something[/b].
    yes, that tape was in rotation for me around the same time.

now we just need a clip or the original source.