SOULSTRUT EXCLUSIVE: SOULMAN presents G.U.N

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
The first release on the new WORLD OF BEATS[/b] label: Straight out of Pittsburgh, PA ("The Burgh") we bring you G.U.N- Greed's Ultimate Nemesis with their debut on World Of Beats "The Greedy Ultimate E.P." Sneak peak of The Greedy Ultimate E.P.- on soulstrut.com ONLY Songs:DownMy Date W/ PovertyFriendly FireCompletely NewClose ApproachPeopleThere's a lot of Soulstrut connections to this thing, too... some of you may recognize the beat on the first song, "Down", as the joint I did about a year ago for the first Soulstrut beat off where we all sampled from the great Leo Sayer's "Endless Flight" lp. I also have to give biiiiig thanks to my dudes TheeCasualMale for the dope logo work and Asprin for the dope design work on the LP and CD covers.Still waiting to get the finished product back from the plant (gotta get a decent test press first, mane!), but when it's good to go I'll give y'all all the details. I'm gonna try to hit off all soulstrut related deejays who are interested in vinyl and / or cds, and we will even try to give y'all customized versions or drops to throw into the mix if you can use such a thing. I will also try to hook up as many regular strutters who are interested as we possibly can without going broke (a small donation to cover expensives would be appreciated). For now, though, plaese check out the sneak peek and let me know how ya lovin' it, mane.Coming next on World Of Beats Recordings... WILLIE EVANS JR.[/b]

Comments

• legendlegend 124 Posts
    i'm feelin it, soulman. i sent u a pm as well

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts

Nobody's been this long awaited since jesus....

Especailly feeling tracks 3-6 -- is it just me or does each track get better?? Great beats, Im gonna buy this before its however many hundreds of dollars on ebay.
    Great work Mr. Soul.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Very dope as to be expected. thanks a lot phill.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    What a way to start off the week! It's HOT in Philly and the sampler is consistent with the weather. Looking forward to the Willie material.

Props, Phill - plaese to keep the goodness coming!

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    props from Amsterdam, I like this.

thx.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Phill -

Thanks for the preview - crisp flows and nice mix of ol' school (hopefully bein' old enough to have spoken w/ DJ TAT $ @ Sounds of Market [when he was workin' there] in around '85/'86 qualifies as havin' some insight into this) and newer sounds... Will definitely cop...

You still got that game on lock!

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    wow, sounds really good. I forsee a lot of interest in this. congratulations

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    4 & 6 are my favs of the bunch.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Yo.... thanks a lot for all early positive feedback, it's appreciated.

ONE IMPORTANT THING I FORGOT TO MENTION-[/b] I know there are some journalists / writers who are regular soulstrutters (and lurkers)... anybody interested in interviewing G.U.N and/or reviewing their record just contact me and it's as good as done. Doesn't matter if you're a big dude who's been published in all the hip hop mags or if you just write for your school paper, we will do our best to accomodate you (PASUE).

AND...[/b] G.U.N is available for live bookings, too. If you got a dolla, just holla- we tryin' to get exposure, mane!

LASTLY...[/b] G.U.N is also down for collaborations, cameo spots on dude's records, pretty much whatever. HUNGRY is what they is! If you're a producer with some ill beats you're gonna put out for dolo and you're feelin' that Greedy vibe and would like them to jump on your record, holla atcha boy and we'll see if it's possible to hook something up.

PM here on the strut or e-mail me at [email]Philasoul@aol.com[/email] if you need to contact me.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This is nice. I like the beats. Make sure you hit the soul strut don with some promoz.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    This is dope Phill[/b]. Good to see you putting stuff out. The wait is over. Here's to G.U.N. LPs fetching 5 bills in 2025. Your dudes got nice rhymes, strong cadence, and can articulate. Props. Who are they?

The beats are top nick, mate. As always. "People" is a fucker. Can we start sample-spotting yet?

• YES I've been waiting for that Sayer beat to resurface.
    Let me know when/how I can cop vinyl

Coming next on World Of Beats Recordings...

WILLIE EVANS JR.[/b]

oh shit

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I would really hate to be labeled as a hater, but Im not feelin it.

It doesnt suck, but I would not rush out and buy it. It just doesnt give me that "feelin"

sorry... just bein honest.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Phill,

This is sounding real lovely right now. I appreciate the chance to part of this project and will definitely do anything necessary to help get to heard. You're not playing around with this sh!t either .... Willie Evans up next... --facemelt-- is the ony reaction to that one. Make sure the pressing plant comes correct.

• Coming next on World Of Beats Recordings...

WILLIE EVANS JR.[/b]

Hold on to your wig when this drops....

• I'm on the fourth song now, the one with the horns was fucking cool. This one with the Gil Scott shit is perfect. Where can one coppeth the wax?

• Yeah Phill! Shit sounds real pro. Your boys done good.

Sample spotting? I'm hearing a little...
    's

Mike

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    me likes. that logo is dope too.

btw did you do all the beats ?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    me likes...that "people" joint is my favorite....and the Sayer beat is still (as Gwen would say) B-A-N-A-N-A-S.....

PEOPLE HOLD ON... FOR WILLIE EVANS JR...

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    Dope--I was especially feeling that "Completely New" track. The beat's ridiculous. I'd probably buy this.

This is dope Phill[/b]. Good to see you putting stuff out. The wait is over. Here's to G.U.N. LPs fetching 5 bills in 2025.

Well, I was actually gonna use that as a selling point... "Even if you'd rather listen to Gucci Mane than G.U.N, buy this record anyway. It's gonna be worth $500 one day!"

Your dudes got nice rhymes, strong cadence, and can articulate. Props. Who are they?

Soma Candelaria and Big Ghate aka Bungieman. Straight out of the Pittsburgh PA suburb of Guntown (that's really the original name of the place that they live!) I actually did a couple of records with my boy Soma back in the 90's. Small indy stuff that just didn't have the backing to be bigger than they were, but the one we did in '96, "You Ain't Ready (Remix)" (which used the Tammi Lynn "Light My Fire" sample a few months before Dilated Peoples used it) actually did pretty good for a minute here in Philly and New York too- even a little bit of daytime radio play on the big commercial stations. Plus any invitation to come down and spit on Bobbito & Stretch's show.

We lost contact for awhile, then came back together a couple of years ago and decided to just make the music that we want to make, hate it or love it.

The beats are top nick, mate. As always. "People" is a fucker. Can we start sample-spotting yet?

Thanks for the respect, my man. By all means, sample spot to your hearts content! Shouldn't be anything too hard to pick out- I wasn't even playing the raer game when I did these beats. Just went with what was feeling good at the moment.

I would really hate to be labeled as a hater, but Im not feelin it.

It doesnt suck, but I would not rush out and buy it. It just doesnt give me that "feelin"

sorry... just bein honest.

Thank you for the honesty, DocBeezy. I really do appreciate it, no BS. Believe me, I don't expect everybody, or even most people to like what we're doing. If everybody liked it I'd actually be worried, because there are certain people that this is just not geared to. But we're just doing it the way we like it done- as long as we get enough people who dig the style, we'll keep comin' with new ones.

me likes. that logo is dope too.

btw did you do all the beats ?

Yep, I did them all. But the next thing coming from G.U.N will be all 9th Wonder beats!

Thanks again to everybody giving back positive energy. Once we get wax and cds back and they are available I'll post the announcement and get errbody's addresses and will hook up as many folls as possible.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    this was dope, first track in the clip has phase-elimination problems tho (or whatever the correct english word is), if thats the final mix you should hire a new guy to handle the mixin!!

but i need this rackord anyways.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    I wasn't even playing the raer game when I did these beats. Just went with what was feeling good at the moment.

listen.

this was dope, first track in the clip has phase-elimination problems tho (or whatever the correct english word is), if thats the final mix you should hire a new guy to handle the mixin!!

Word? What's phase-elimination? I have no idea whatsoever. Glad you still want the rackord even though the phase has been eliminated, though!

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

Word? What's phase-elimination? I have no idea whatsoever. Glad you still want the rackord even though the phase has been eliminated, though!

its when frequencies cancel eachother out when you convert it to mono or when you're in the center of your speakers, or when you listen in headphones.. i think thats the problem, but even if its not, the stereo picture sure sounds real strange..

say you have a sinewave extremepanned to the left and an inverted sinewave in the other channel, when you're in the center of the speakers the sounds will cancel eachother out.

i can understand the pressing plant got probs with this... not hattin just beein honest! tracks were dope..

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    btw, what was the problem with the testpress? was it the sound or that the needle jumped the grooves? cus it was the 2nd it could be because the wide stereo picture. when pressing wax its good to keep low freqs and the lower midrange mono.

btw, what was the problem with the testpress? was it the sound or that the needle jumped the grooves? cus it was the 2nd it could be because the wide stereo picture. when pressing wax its good to keep low freqs and the lower midrange mono.

The overall sound of the test press wasn't as good as I thought it would be, but the 3rd song came out REAL distorted and crazy. The dudes who mastered it are the dudes who do the cleaning up and remastering for the Dusty Fingers comps, so trust that they did their part right.

Yo McDee, you want a job mixing my next project? Because seriously, I don't know jack about all the intricacies of sound recording! You seem to know your shizz. I'm from the old school, we used to dub tapes by putting two boom boxes next to each other, hit play on one, record on the other and that was it! Dogs barking in the background, phones ringing, etc. So I'm used to that extra grimy, gritty, terrible sound quality- I love it, actually. I'm lost when it comes to inverted sinewaves and all that. I think whatever the problem you heard is probably came from the process of ripping the MP3, or maybe something that happened when I did my little megamix. I dunno, 'cuz I don't hear it at all. But thanks for the tips, I'll most def look into it.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    I'm from the old school, we used to dub tapes by putting two boom boxes next to each other, hit play on one, record on the other and that was it!

a damn.