Destruction of the Planet (no joke related)

GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Good article but you gotta follow the link and see the comparison pics. The visuals are what does it.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4607053.stm-------------------------Changing Planet Revealed in AtlasUnited Nations' Environment Atlas Reveals Planet Wide DevastationBy Jeremy Lovell, ReutersLONDON (June 4) - The devastating impact of mankind on the planet is dramatically illustrated in pictures published Saturday showing explosive urban sprawl, major deforestation and the sucking dry of inland seas over less than three decades.Mexico City mushrooms from a modest urban center in 1973 to a massive blot on the landscape in 2000, while Beijing shows a similar surge between 1978 and 2000 in satellite pictures published by the United Nations in a new environmental atlas.Delhi sprawls explosively between 1977 and 1999, while from 1973 to 2000 the tiny desert town of Las Vegas turns into a monster conurbation of one million people -- placing massive strain on scarce water supplies."If there is one message from this atlas it is that we are all part of this. We can all make a difference," U.N. expert Kaveh Zahedi told reporters at the launch of the "One Planet Many People" atlas on the eve of World Environment Day.Page after page of the 300-page book illustrate in before-and-after pictures from space the disfigurement of the face of the planet wrought by human activities.U.N. Environment Program chief Klaus Toepfer has chosen efforts to make cities greener as this year's theme for World Environment Day Sunday on the basis that the world is becoming increasingly urbanised."Cities pull in huge amounts of resources including water, food, timber, metals and people. They export large amounts of wastes including household and industrial wastes, wastewater and the gases linked with global warming," he said in a statement."Thus their impacts stretch beyond their physical borders affecting countries, regions and the planet as a whole."So the battle for sustainable development, for delivering a more environmentally stable, just and healthier world, is going to be largely won and lost in our cities," Toepfer added.The destruction of swathes of mangroves in the Gulf of Fonseca off Honduras to make way for extensive shrimp farms shows up clearly in the pictures.The atlas makes the point that not only has it left the estuary bereft of the natural coastal defense provided by the mangroves, but the shrimp themselves have been linked to pollution and widespread damage to the area's ecosystem.And images of the wholesale destruction of vital rainforest around Iguazu Falls -- one of South America's most spectacular waterfalls -- on the borders between Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay evoke comparisons with a bulldozer on a rampage."These illustrate some of the changes we have made to our environment," Zahedi said. "This is a visual tool to capture people's imaginations showing what is really happening.""It serves as an early warning," he added.06/04/05 11:09 ETCopyright 2005 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Sadly, this is all old news and the last people interested in hearing it live in the city.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Sadly, this is all old news and the last people interested in hearing it live in the city.

Well I know but the pics are good illustration. Actually it seems like the suburbs and newly sprouted cities (Las Vegas, Atlanta, etc.) are what are really doing it - at least in the US. It's unfortunate there aren't more restrictions in place to reuse what is already here... like the 99/100 of Detroit that looks like total shit.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    I think China had the right idea by limiting families to just one child. There's just too damn many of us around.

• that would be weird though, if everyone was an only child.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I think China had the right idea by limiting families to just one child. There's just too damn many of us around.

Some say that over population is the number one problem in the world. And some also say, unfortunately, that this problem is being addressed even as we speak.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I am in no way picking on anything... Just one remark.

The Satellite images of 73 look just as good as the image of 2003. I didn't realize sat. tech was that great back then. Or am I missing something they did and they are in some way doing something just to make a point?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Some say that over population is the number one problem in the world. And some also say, unfortunately, that this problem is being addressed even as we speak.

I heard you could take everyone in the world and put them in Texas and it would be like living in NYC.

The world does need to take a good long look at conservation and put it into motion in a big way.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Killing all fans of NASCAR might also work.

• The world does need to take a good long look at conservation and put it into motion in a big way.

Simple ting :

The world does not need humans!

• I think China had the right idea by limiting families to just one child. There's just too damn many of us around.

Basically during WWII the governments of the world realized that the soldiers returning home from the war would create a population boom that would cripple the worlds resources. A number of steps were discussed. The proliferation of birth control and contriceptives was a way to lower the birth rate, but because medical science had become more advanced, people were living longer in general, so the
    ugly business of increasing the death rate was discussed. It was decided that it must be done without public knowledge to avoid scrutiny. Thus, the manufacture of many diseases, most notably AIDS, that would lower the population. A number of wars and genocides, such as the war in Vietnam and the slaughter in Cambodia,
    have happened because the established powers of the world were concerned with population levels in those areas. If you guys would like to research this on your own, look up the Iron Mountain report. The program under which AIDS was created is called MK NAOMI. Googling either phrase should get you some info.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Thanks you and in the words of the Infamous Mobb Deep, "Drop A Gem on 'Em". Also, there are two books that I read which cover this same topic (pop. control), The Unseen Hand and Behold A Pale Horse. A lot of y'all may have read or heard about the latter.

• who wrote the Unseen Hand?

Good question...I forgot. I think his first name is Ralph (like that would help you out). I know that it was released in 1985 and the author was a history professor at the University of Arizona. But I honestly don't remember the author, I haven't read or seen that book since 1999.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Basically during WWII the governments of the world realized that the soldiers returning home from the war would create a population boom that would cripple the worlds resources.

Correct. did you see that independent documentary on Sundance (earlier this year) on how the AIDS virus might have been "accidentally" created/discovered when the dude who created the alternate polio virus was competing against Salk in Africa? Shit got me shook, saying. They were doing all sorts of scary monkey blood virus incubation madness and testing it on the local population. These villages ended up being the first villages in Africa that scientists can track the AIDS outbreak to.....peep the book it was based on.

Iron Mountain is no joke. Those big big big scary dudes can't stand or think our world can maintain a peacetime economy. Sadly most of us are just cogs in their wheel (me included), saying.

• Truth. That shit about how the basis of the word economy is periodic wars makes so much sense. The other thing that has me super blown is the "mysterious" death of countless infectious disease experts over the last 5-10 years. Like hundreds of them. Most of the leaders of the world believe that the world is ideally suited for a sustained population hovering aroung 500 million people. That is a 95 percent decrease of current levels. They're probably going to pull a "Strangelove" so to speak, and go to one of the countless Iron Mountain type facilities underground in the U.S. and almost certainly elsewhere. Supposedly there is a whole self sustained network connected by high speed underground trains. Just leave everyone else out here to fend for ourselves. I need another bong hit now, goddamnit. Thanks assholes.

I don't want to get too much of the subject, but I think Jim Jones (the cult leader, not the Dipset rep) was a CIA agent who did the who Jonestown thing as part of the pop. control. Correct me if I'm wrong.

yup, I'm headed straight to this facility if the shit goes down
    probably the best protected and most interesting/scary one on the westside
    lizard people for dayz

• No you're right. It was more of a mind control exercise though. Like an experiment applying their researched techniques.

No you're right. It was more of a mind control exercise though. Like an experiment applying their researched techniques.
    it's very disturbing to know that there are people who are so fucked up that they do shit like this.

• Dulce New Mexico is similar to the DIA. Supposedly the sites are connected and operate in concurrence with one another. Like whole levels of genetically engineered atrocities. Basically everything they could do with science but act like morality prevents it. All it really prevents is them telling us.

it's very disturbing to know that there are people who are so fucked up that they do shit like this.

nothing new

"Yes, the death mantra???here it is, the three-line Skull and Bones initiation-ritual theme that has bound three Presidents (including the present one) to their secret society:

???THE HANGMAN EQUALS DEATH!
    THE DEVIL EQUALS DEATH!
    DEATH EQUALS DEATH!???

Most of the speculative lore about the Skull and Bones ritual has centered on its death fixation. Beyond the obvious skull-and-crossbones insignia, of course, the most persistent story is that initiates spend their senior year in the basement crypt of the Bones Tomb taking turns lying in a coffin and, in two long, intense, psycho-drama autobiographical sessions in said coffins, recount their personal and sexual history to the other 14 chosen ones. The better to bond for life with those they know best and prepare for their destiny as stewards of the ruling class."

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I don't want to get too much of the subject, but I think Jim Jones (the cult leader, not the Dipset rep) was a CIA agent who did the who Jonestown thing as part of the pop. control. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jeezus Fucking Christ.

You're wrong.

Consider yourself corrected.

These are the people who are destroying the world, not the CIA:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/01/national/class/01ALPHARETTA-FINAL.html

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

nothing new

"Yes, the death mantra???here it is, the three-line Skull and Bones initiation-ritual theme that has bound three Presidents (including the present one) to their secret society:

???THE HANGMAN EQUALS DEATH!
    THE DEVIL EQUALS DEATH!
    DEATH EQUALS DEATH!???

Most of the speculative lore about the Skull and Bones ritual has centered on its death fixation. Beyond the obvious skull-and-crossbones insignia, of course, the most persistent story is that initiates spend their senior year in the basement crypt of the Bones Tomb taking turns lying in a coffin and, in two long, intense, psycho-drama autobiographical sessions in said coffins, recount their personal and sexual history to the other 14 chosen ones. The better to bond for life with those they know best and prepare for their destiny as stewards of the ruling class."

You guys do know it's just a fucking fraternity, right?

Just a bunch of rich kids getting drunk, playing dress-up and jerking eachother off.

Nothing particularly sinister about it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Jeezus Fucking Christ.

You're wrong.

Consider yourself corrected.

Everyone is fuckin guilty. Fuck all this Big Brother Mythology. Im sick of this scapegoating stuff. IF THERE'S A HELL BELOW WERE ALL GONNA GO!!!!

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

I'd really like to see stricter building restrictions in place. Like I said before, there are so many cities that have houses just falling in, or lot after empty lot, there's no reason to spread out like that. And the problem of poor infrastructure and shitty schools would be solved simply by moving regular folks back in.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

The Malthusian theory of the population continuing to grow exponentially has been thrown into question, especially in the wake of the last 25 to 50 years - Spain, Greece, and Italy are all experiencing SEVERE population declines (to the point where many of the smaller villes in these countries will become ghost towns; Japan is the 'oldest' country in the world and will see its population fall from 127 million to 95 by 2050) and it's not due to a policy like China's w/ regards to 1 child. It's the promotion of the individual (as espoused w/ the advent of the age of Enlightenment from about 200 years or so ago) - where couples are still copulating (and likely w/ more partners than historically), but are no longer apt to have children (sex is no longer about procreation, but edifying the pleasure principle touched on by Freud) - you require 2.1 children to maintain homeostasis - anything lower than that will spell decline...

Developing countries tend to boast high birth rates, but even a country like China which is beginning to enjoy some modicum of financial prosperity will encounter a jump in the median age from about 35 to 45 w/in the next 10 years - this has proved so alarming that China's government has started to encourage couples to have 2 children...

Once you bestow some degree of financial wherewithal and comfort to any population, enabling a life of leisure, you will from all the evidence thus far induce a population decrease...

What Malthus didn't account for in his calculations was the id-satisfying and empowering sense of acquisition - which has eroded societal ties as well as the family unit (in the traditional sense) - wanna slow the population, give people the opportunity to become rabid consumers: it seems to have worked w/o any problems up to now...