Sharemari Number of Names

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
So in that eightball jacket thread someone posted a video clip to a local Detroit video show and the main track playing was "Sharemari" by some group called Number of Names. That shit is . Does anyone know a dope mix or some comps with more stuff like that? Sort of that "proto-detroit techno" sound? Perhaps some groups to check for?

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Thinking about trading in that kufi for a pacifier?

• track playing was "Sharevari"[/b] by some group called Number of Names.

There's a remix 12" that came out a few years back, too... Carl Craig and others I believe. Sharevari was the name of a Detroit club back in the day, correct me if I'm wrong?

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    there was a juan atkins mix cd that was solid. dont remember what it was called though.

definitly feelin sharevari[/b].

copped a digital copy of the 12" for microwaving pleasure.

• Thinking about trading in that kufi for a pacifier?

please. that just shows how removed you are by thinking detroit techno is STRICTLY all rave crap. Probally thinking "disco and house is for homos" as well.

• i've heard that sharevari was actually the name of a trendy fashion boutique in nyc back in the day.

such a classic tune. i got lucky and found the quality/rfc 12" pressing for 50 cents in nyc a few years back. that video clip is bonkers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhE-0IDpkiM

as far as similiar tunes, there's a whole waxpoetics article about this. but check out telex "moskow diskow" for starters.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    but check out telex "moskow diskow" for starters.

ha, you beat me to it. Marc Moulin on some Kraftwerk Steez...check it out!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Go cop the abridged Rephlex 12" repack of this. Spooky fronch electro-disco from '78. Pretty next-level for its time.

I wish I had the 6-track OG.

• Sharevari was the name of a Detroit club back in the day, correct me if I'm wrong?

i believe that the club was named capriccio (tantrum in italian)
    and was also the name of the first label it was pressed on.

i learned this information in finland/sweden.

• So in that eightball jacket thread someone posted a video clip

it was me, I love that track.

http://www.answers.com/topic/a-number-of-names

A Number of Names was the short-lived group responsible for one of the first techno releases that came from Detroit. Thanks to their lone release, the Italo disco inspired "Sharevari" b/w "Skitso," it could be said that A Number of Names, along with Juan Atkins' and Rick Davis' Cybotron, the outfit that released "Alleys of Your Mind" around the same time as "Sharevari" in 1981, were proto-techno as much as the Stooges and MC5 were proto-punk. Both techno and punk took roughly the same amount of time to become fully realized styles after the appearance of their forebears. Coincidentally, each of these forebears came from Detroit and the area surrounding it.

In 1981, high schoolers Paul Lesley and Sterling Jones decided to finalize their long-brewing plans to form a music group. Inspired by Capriccio, the posh and clique-ish party club that they belonged to (one of many at that time in Detroit), the duo recorded "Sharevari" during the summer of the group's year of formation with the help of several others. While Lesley contributed the lead vocals and bass synth and Jones wrote the lyrics, the song was arranged by Judson Powell and Robert Taylor. Taylor also provided the vocals on the chorus, which were mutated by synth effects. Roderick Simpson, who also received a songwriting credit, played the main melody. Sheila Wheaton and Ira Cash provided the backup vocals that followed the chorus in a quasi-call-and-response manner.

"Sharevari," as a song title, was a play on the name of another Detroit party club, Charivari. Additionally, the club Charivari took its name from a chain of upscale clothing shops, so Lesley and Jones opted to alter the spelling of their song in order to sidestep any possible legal issues. They took an unfinished version of the song into one of the Charivari parties, had it played by DJ Darryl Shannon, and -- judging from the crowd's reaction -- discovered that they had something big on their hands. Legendary radio jock the Electrifying Mojo was in attendance at the party and invited the unnamed group that was responsible for the song to WGPR to join him in the booth for one of his shows. The group obliged, and while they were in the studio with Mojo, they talked about not knowing what to call themselves. Mojo suggested A Number of Names. The moniker stuck.

After the final version of "Sharevari" was completed, the group had 12" singles pressed up (with "Skitso" as the B-side) and released it on their own label, dubbed Capriccio. Not ones to miss the opportunity for a good reference, the group assigned the catalog number 928 to the release, 928 being the model of Porsche driven by the protagonist in "Sharevari." Thanks to the support of the Electrifying Mojo and party DJs, the song became an instant classic and a source of inspiration that has lasted decades, not just for Detroit producers, but for many scattered across the globe as well.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Robert Taylor. Taylor also provided the vocals on the chorus, which were mutated by synth effects.

I just saw Robert the other day at a local record store - he's now a long distance truck driver - super nice guy.

btw: the orig Capricio press only has the instrumental on the flip - the new-wavey 'Skitso' was added to the Quality 12" press.

---

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    but check out telex "moskow diskow" for starters.

ha, you beat me to it. Marc Moulin on some Kraftwerk Steez...check it out!

carl craig's mix of this is murder.

im more partial to telex's kitch stuff: