Scratchy-old school ska/rocksteady - JA muzik

deejaymushonedeejaymushone 2 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Greetings crate diggersdjMush1 herea friend of mine told me a long while ago that there were some headson here looking for some rootsy/old school ska....its only taken me2 mos. to get back here w/ some info.........I have a band called The Scorchers, we play old school ska/rocksteady, skatalites/soul brothers style, and we have 3 female singers, it kind of soundslike the Gaylettes or the Supremes, but over old school ska (the drummer and I were orig. members of the Slackers).......our album, Stuntin', also features El Michels (of Truth & Soul) on sax and as recording engineer, he was one of the founding members as well......... you can check our muzik atwww.myspace.com/thescorcherswww.djmush1.com/scorchersits available for order direct from our website, and also on iTunes.....also, if you are feeling this type of vibe, check out my radio show here in NYC, Tunnel One (ska/foundation radio, 1950's - 1980's Jamaican Music)on WNYU, 89.1 fm NYC every Tue from 9pm to 10:30pm, or online at www.wnyu.org.....you can also listen to archived (past) shows as well now, going back ~6 mos. or so............if you are still feeling this and this is not information overload, you can check out the album i made w/ Sister Nancy......she only has 2 LP's, her debut, One Two, on Techniques (from 1981-1982), and ours, Sister Nancy Meets Fireproof (Special Potato)........the whole album kind of sounds like a live soundsystem tape from back in the day, but with more interesting horns..........the embers of this band went on to become The Scorchers...........(www.djmush1.com/fireproof)also, look out for brand new music from our brand new studio in Brooklyn, Al Paragus......the LP is tentatively titled "dee jay mush one presents Al Paragus Productions Vol I", and is more dancehall style, kind of starting where the Sister Nancy Meets Fireproof LP left off............completed tracks already include artists such as Jim Nastic (original Studio 1 dj, from the Soul Jazz DJ comps....), Lici (lead vocalist of the Scorchers, here in a lovers dancehall style), and Unforgiven (breaking concious reggae singjay, kind of between old school Buju and Capelton)...........also will feature tracks by Barry Heptone, Major Mackerel, Sister Charmaine, Junie Ranks, Johnny Osbourne, and more........OK, hopefully this was not information overload......for any more details, check the websites, or you can email [email]hotlinez1@hotmail.com[/email]......Scorchers NYC show dates are at www.myspace.com/thescorchersand don't forget Tunnel One radio every Tue @ 9:00pm.........one love,mush IPS our promotional budget here at Al Paragus is $0 so you won't see us in too many magazines, etc., its on the d/l, so keep your ear to the underground! - jdm

Comments

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Sounds
    More local real shit we don't get to hear enough about.
    I like how the "all new reggae bands suck" thread was a 3 pager. There's definitely some Ja influence in El Michels production techniques...

• hell ya...I was just thinking this the other day listeing to an El Michaels 45...those horn voicings are some Studio One shit for sure

• whoa! "bumper to bumper" is that good shit. To be honest, I am always scared of new ska bands(thinking of that stupid early 90s ska/punk crap)...but this is not what I expected...again, whoa!

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    whoa! "bumper to bumper" is that good shit. To be honest, I am always scared of new ska bands(thinking of that stupid early 90s ska/punk crap)...but this is not what I expected...again, whoa!

I completely second this sentiment......BUMPER TO BUMPER really is some total goodness. Damn...keep making records like that, especially as the production is top shelf.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Yo Mush !

it is yer "kangal" friend who use to work with malcolm

they love you in the Netherlands !

• This is some fiya.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Just purchased the album on iTunes, very nice sounds. Please keep us updated when you are playing or putting more music out.