"Real People/Outsider" Soul Funk lp's

hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
OK, just so I'm not thought of completely as the anti-funkee from James Brown post 2,867... I thought I'd try to make a meaningful and earnest contribution to all things rare and funk.My question is this: is it just me or is there relative lack of records that could be considered this (a term I personally kind of hate, but what are you gonna do)? Basically thee record I have in mind here is Larry T and the Family. I'm not really talking about funky records that just so happen to be self produced or private that basically sound like everything else, but rather more left-field sounding ones that have a sort of open, honest charm about them. Sorry if this is a bit esoteric, but I believe some of you will know what I mean.

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    alot of this sort of stuff is 45 only...

---

• Jeff Phelps

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Boscoe?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    timmy thomas?

• I don't think there's a relative lack of those kind of records, but I do think you don't see them where you're at and don't spend much time looking for them.

Hopefully people in this thread can get you started.

I have been digging the Guitar Red LP on Mod Art, which isn't a private issue thing but is definitely fucked up and homemade-sounding.

Jeff Phelps would definitely fall into this category.

• RICK MASON AND INNER FEELINGS

• Also that weird psychic soul/new age/disco/??? hand made set that the dude from Dawn And Sunset put out...was literally tied together with string if I remember correctly.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    -Marvin Whoremonger

-Birdman & Lil Wayne

-Seu Jorge

-Reynaldo

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    most of this sort of stuff is 45 only...

---

• most of this sort of stuff is 45 only...

---

Yeah there is a whole world of fucked up homemade soul 45s stretching well into the 80s.

Anyone got a fucked up private soul 45 from the 90s???

Outsider New Jack Swing.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I don't think there's a relative lack of those kind of records, but I do think you don't see them where you're at and don't spend much time looking for them.

Hopefully people in this thread can get you started.

OK, cool... this is sorta kinda what I suspected.

I've heard the Jeff Phelps record and mostly like it... guess I hadn't really thought of it in terms of soul or funk, but now that I think about it I guess it is.

Also that weird psychic soul/new age/disco/??? hand made set that the dude from Dawn And Sunset put out...was literally tied together with string if I remember correctly.

this thing?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Anyone got a fucked up private soul 45 from the 90s???

I have a few good local odd ones from 89 or so - the dawn of the 90s was the death of the r&b 45 I'd say.

---

---

Arghh... be damned ye and yer lil records!

• Also that weird psychic soul/new age/disco/??? hand made set that the dude from Dawn And Sunset put out...was literally tied together with string if I remember correctly.

this thing?

yep

• alot of this sort of stuff is 45 only...

---

The finest example might be Robert Starks and the Geniuses "Space Travelin'" on Big Star....The first understandable words on the record are "I got vampires on my eyes"...you know you are in for a treat after those words are uttered...

Also that weird psychic soul/new age/disco/??? hand made set that the dude from Dawn And Sunset put out...was literally tied together with string if I remember correctly.

this thing?

yep

Do you know if there are plans for this being reissued?

---

The finest example might be Robert Starks and the Geniuses "Space Travelin'" on Big Star....The first understandable words on the record are "I got vampires on my eyes"...you know you are in for a treat after those words are uttered...

must... stay... strong... resist... evil... 45's....

• - the Lord of Lightning

- Johnny Love & the Amethyst Garnets (no drummer, but the band keeps chugging on regardless)

- several Bo Dud productions (including Yocannon, the Muck Muck Man)

• - several Bo Dud productions (including Yocannon, the Muck Muck Man)

sun ra!

- several Bo Dud productions (including Yocannon, the Muck Muck Man)

sun ra!

this is the shit right here.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    - Johnny Love & the Amethyst Garnets (no drummer, but the band keeps chugging on regardless)

I know. If someone had set nasty drums to that, it would be a three or four digit piece instead of a dollar-binner.

How's about Jr. and His Soulettes?

I mean, there are thousands of self-produced soul/funk oddball 45s in existance. Look: I'll make up some names to get you started.

-The Bedford Street Shakedown (on Bedford St.)
    -Snakepit Simmons and the Funky Mess (on Poorhouse)
    -Franklin Johnson and the Fire-Burners (on FJFB)
    -Lori Jackkson and the Sweet Sweat Singers (on Sweet Sweat)
    -The Robinsonians (on Robinson)
    -The Thompson Choir Holy Ghost Singers of the Savior's Blessed Christian Redemption (gospel on Sacred Blood of the Comforting Biblical Name of Jesus Records)
    -Grizzlee Adams and his Funk-ee Mountaineers (white group on Klondike)
    -Gregory Gumbel and the Jherri Curls (modern/boogie on Gumbelsound)

• there are thousands of self-produced soul/funk oddball 45s in existance. Look: I'll make up some names to get you started.

-Snakepit Simmons and the Funky Mess (on Poorhouse)

Distributed by Canyon. I think this is a Swamp Dogg production. When I asked him about it, he said "it didn't sell a motherfuckin' thing!!!!!!"

-The Robinsonians (on Robinson)

Dude, I remember when copies of the Fabulous Mighty Sensational Robinsonians' album, I Believe The Good Lord Will Make A Way For Me Somehow On The Banks Of Jordan One Day, were going for cheap at Second Hand Tunes. But heads didn't wanna know - they were too busy rocking that live twofer by Lester Rollins and the Jazz Commissioners on Pacific World Sound records...

• Otis G. Johnson // David Schwann "Receive the Power"

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    OK, just so I'm not thought of completely as the anti-funkee from James Brown post 2,867... I thought I'd try to make a meaningful and earnest contribution to all things rare and funk.

My question is this: is it just me or is there relative lack of records that could be considered this (a term I personally kind of hate, but what are you gonna do)? Basically thee record I have in mind here is Larry T and the Family. I'm not really talking about funky records that just so happen to be self produced or private that basically sound like everything else, but rather more left-field sounding ones that have a sort of open, honest charm about them. Sorry if this is a bit esoteric, but I believe some of you will know what I mean.

Aposento Alto fits this description exactly. Didn't you say you didn't like it?

OK, just so I'm not thought of completely as the anti-funkee from James Brown post 2,867... I thought I'd try to make a meaningful and earnest contribution to all things rare and funk.

My question is this: is it just me or is there relative lack of records that could be considered this (a term I personally kind of hate, but what are you gonna do)? Basically thee record I have in mind here is Larry T and the Family. I'm not really talking about funky records that just so happen to be self produced or private that basically sound like everything else, but rather more left-field sounding ones that have a sort of open, honest charm about them. Sorry if this is a bit esoteric, but I believe some of you will know what I mean.

I'm not really into it. It just sounds like bad gospel Santana to me.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I'm not really into it. It just sounds like bad gospel Santana to me.

"left-field sounding ones that have a sort of open, honest charm about them".

True there is a strong Bay Area Latin Soul element that recalls Santana, TOP, Malo but it has an "open honest charm" from the grave yard cover to the personal lyrics. Off key singing, slightly out of tune horns and the fact that it is the only "gospel Santana" sounding record I know put it in left field.