Best Movie of the Year?

the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
iam going with this, although iam not sure if it qualifies as this year... runners up for me...

Comments

• I'm going with Departed, and yeah I think Sympathy for Lady V came out last year (that said, I don't think it's more than a 6/10). Not really a big movie year, as usual. I still gotta see the Lynch film.

• Could you say what those movies are? or will you be carrying on in the Soulstrut tradition of posting random pictures and assuming everyone will know what they are even if they haven't seen the movie?

• I'm going with Departed, and yeah I think Sympathy for Lady V came out last year (that said, I don't think it's more than a 6/10). Not really a big movie year, as usual. I still gotta see the Lynch film.

i dont think lady vegence came to american shores till this year thats why i counted in 2006

i have not seen departed yet, but i usually dont count decaprio movies too high, so i have my doubts

• Could you say what those movies are? or will you be carrying on in the Soulstrut tradition of posting random pictures and assuming everyone will know what they are even if they haven't seen the movie?

lady vengence
    pan's labyrinth
    hills have eyes

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    i find it weird when people are referring to a film by a legendary director as a "_star of the film_ movie"

i understand that sometimes people hate actors so much that it might ruin a movie, but this is a "scorcese movie" not a "leonardo movie" damnit :P

• im going with either borat or jackass2.

• i find it weird when people are referring to a film by a legendary director as a "_star of the film_ movie"

i understand that sometimes people hate actors so much that it might ruin a movie, but this is a "scorcese movie" not a "leonardo movie" damnit :P

i hate the dude that much

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    also my best of the year would be....

brick
    the departed
    the descent
    miami vice (no need to rip me apart, i understand nobody else likes this movie)
    running scared (DITTO)

my mind is coming up pretty blank to be honest. maybe that means it wasnt a very good year for movies? heh (didnt help that all of the indy comedies everyone loved didnt do shit for me this year --thank you for smoking, little miss sunshine--)

• the hills has eyes is good? i might have to rent that one now.

• the hills has eyes is good? i might have to rent that one now.

i likes it, few of my friends didn't most of them thought it was the best survival horror film since the 80s, myself included

• the descent

i forgot about this and didnt count it since i saw it in 2005, the mole people didnt scare me but the movie gave me claustrophobia like crazy, great movie

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    yeah technically brick came out in 2005 too (at like 4 small festivals) but i had to include both :P

• Hills Have Eyes definitely brought it on the Gore/Violence tip.

Brick is awesome.

I just saw Little Miss Susnshine on Xmas Eve.....nice little flick.

• As an avid movie fan and former 2-to-4-theatre visits-per-month person, I just realized that I only saw two new movies in 2006: X-MEN 3 & RUNNING SCARED, both of which were good but not great, and I didn't even see RS in the theatre. My second 2006 theatre visit was LE CERCLE ROUGE which was from 1970 and much better than the two above films.

MOVIES IN 2006:

• MOVIES IN 2006:

I pretty much agree. Here's a list of what I've seen from this year.

The Departed: Probably the best of the lot. Not Scorsese's best but still highly entertaining. If Scorsese's didn't win the Oscar for Taxi Driver, Raging Bull or Goodfellas I wouldn't want him to win for this. Fuck the Academy although given this years selection I think he's a shoein but I've thought that before.

Marie Antoinette: Nice attempt but Sofia was trying to much to be a Terrence Malick here. Still, visually it was great but I don't think Dunst was able to pull it off.

The Fountain: Interesting film but not as good as his past works. Requiem and Pi were both entertaining and intelligent. This lacked in the entertaining department.

V for Vendetta: Pop corn flick. Very entertaining but it didn't have that epic look I think it was trying to go for at times. Too often it felt like it was filmed in a studio.

Little Miss Sunshine: Overrated but the end is hilarious. I otherwise thought this film was trying to be too quirky and the pacing was all wrong. They should have cut out the mute brother all together.

Mission: Impossible III: Crap

Superman Returns: Crap. Why do people like Kevin Spacey so much?

Snakes on a Plane: Crap but at least it didn't pretend to be high art.

Inside Man: uninteresting. Spike did this one for the paycheck and it shows

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    couldnt disagree with you any more on inside man (spike puts basically ALL of his trademarks in this flick and it rises above a popcorn movie about robbing a bank)

BUT

"Little Miss Sunshine: Overrated but the end is hilarious. I otherwise thought this film was trying to be too quirky and the pacing was all wrong. They should have cut out the mute brother all together. "

i actually heard someone say they liked the movie up until the end and then it started sucking......i'm not sure what movie they were watching, the end was the only part that saved the movie

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    to continue the La Haine thread somewhat, I saw Sheitan last night with Vincent Cassel. at the Toronto Film Festival, Costa Gavras presented La Haine as one his favourite films and ended up bringing Kim Chapiron, the director for Sheitan, on stage with him for the Q&A. Chapiron is friends with Gavras' son and they both belong to the same art collective as Cassel and Kassovitz...yea, fascinating huh?

Sheitan could have been the best movie of the year for me, but there was no cohesiveness to it - just one scene after another with no real reason for the madness and violence. crazy people living in the French countyside just isn't compelling enough of a storyline. good cast, kinda sexy, nice attempt at some non-linear story-telling and some unique takes on yet another film about things going horribly wrong in rural France. Cassel was very good.

i agree that this year was kinda ho-hum, but The Hills Have Eyes, Day Night Day Night, Severance and The Proposition (2005) were all pretty good.

• well hello miss bassie...
    this comes out today on dvd in the US, looks like iam stopping at the video store tonight, thanks for that review

just watched sevrence last night, same ideas hostel but a lot better

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

well hello miss bassie...
    this comes out today on dvd in the US, looks like iam stopping at the video store tonight, thanks for that review

just watched sevrence last night, same ideas hostel but a lot better

well hello! i should have also mentioned that there are some good moments of tension and good female characters in Sheitan...let me know what you think of it.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    oh yeah thats another one, the proposition was def in my top 3-5

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    The Departed. I liked Lady Vengeance as well, but it was out before 2006.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Just saw Inside Man last night. I thought this was a very good movie and the best Spike Joint in a very long time. His mastery of the subtlies of NYC multiculti life as well as a fun non-conventional heist movie plot made for a great experience.

Personally, I thought THe Departed was a train wreck of a movie with some very good acting in it. The ending is just str8 retarded. Plus, Scorcese needs to stop playing Stones songs in his movies.

Shiggy, I only saw three other movies this year (newborns take it out of ya), Borat and Jackass 2 being two of them. Liked both a lot.

Lastly, saw the new Bond flick. Nice change of pace but overly long.

• Some Indian movies that made my list:

DOR -- beautifully shot in Rajasthan, India
    http://www.dorthefilm.com/

CORPORATE -- slick look at power and corruption in Indian business
    http://www.corporatethefilm.com/

RANG DE BASANTI -- biggest surprise hit of the year, a great flick
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rang_De_Basanti

• The Science of Sleep

Damn, how could I forget this! One of my favorite this year.

• anybody seen children of men yet? I've heard great things, waiting until I'm back in NYC to see it.

a potential buzzer beater for best of the year.

• what the hell are some of these movies you all are talking bout?

im tlakin bout real merican art films, dudes. jackass2 is obviously an homage to the lumiere bro's l'arroseur l'arrose, one of the quintessential films of the 19th century and i might add a forefather to the "cinema of spectacle" that is oft' mentioned in numerous film historical texts.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I liked Lady Vengeance as well, but it was out before 2006.

Yep, also, while decent, it suffered in my unfair comparison to Old Boy. Enjoyed it more on second viewing though.

As for films of this year, um, eh. I enjoyed A Bitterweet Life but suspect that it's another one that's taken a few years to get over to these shores.

Departed was a definite highlight of the year but whether it will go down as a great film rather than a really good one will have to be determined when I rewatch it at home. Yet to see Volver but I suspect this may be another case of critics overeager to praise a recognised great director before it's too late.

Apart from that, I think I've seen pretty much every major release and none of them made much of an impact (though i did quite enjoy A Scanner Darkly), even Pixar's contribution was weak. Cue, 'is film dead?' discussion.

• "Little Miss Sunshine: Overrated but the end is hilarious. I otherwise thought this film was trying to be too quirky and the pacing was all wrong. They should have cut out the mute brother all together. "

i actually heard someone say they liked the movie up until the end and then it started sucking......i'm not sure what movie they were watching, the end was the only part that saved the movie

You guys don't like movies.

seriously though, I would mention Borat and Jackass as well.

Worst Film:

Brick
    Babel

You want to talk about contrvied and forced.......

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    numerous film historical texts.

TEXTS?

Gee, Uncle - wouldn't that involve READING?

• numerous film historical texts.

TEXTS?

Gee, Uncle - wouldn't that involve READING?

uh, i mean, so i heard from other um people that read and stuffs.