96 Tears

parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Still my favorite song that comes on the oldies channel. You'd think it would be easier to find that record in the field since it was such a huge hit. I just wanted to start this thread since we already have 12, 24, and 48 on the front page. jyeah

Comments

• Years ago they switched the local country station over to an oldies format (via satellite) and for the entire weekend preceding the switch, played nothing but'96 Tears' over and over and over....

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    You'd think it would be easier to find that record in the field since it was such a huge hit.

It's because stores don't know where to file a band that's name starts with a ?.

DJ Ferrari

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i love this song and play it out. people do enjoy it and shake a thing or two at it.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Now I usually don't go to reunion shows but I had to check out question mark a few years back when they played. They still had it for sure, dude was dancing around like James Brown on stage. Great show, even though I was hands down the youngest person there.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Medium raer? I could wallpaper my house with how my I've seen in the field if I bought them (45 that is).
    T.N.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    well yeah, of course the 45 is common. I'm talking about a clean copy of the full length album.

Yeah, mildly raer I guess. I've had like 3 copies I think, have bought every one I've come across. Has a trash canny drum braek on there too, kinda dope shit I wanna use and some other stuff that'd be good for samplin'/

I need to get offa my azzzzz

Peace

T.N.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Yeah, the LP has always been hard to turn up for less than $25

One of many songs from the original garage rock era that I'm extremely grateful was a fad cuz you can actually them on the radio sometimes (see also: Barbarians, Blues Magoos, Baloon Farm, Music Explosion, Seeds, Count Five, etc)

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

God help you if you're looking for ? & the Mysterians' second album, ACTION.

Now that Abkco is reissuing the Cameo/Parkway material, maybe they'll put out the 96 TEARS and ACTION albums in their entirety and it will drive the vinyl values down.

Now that Abkco is reissuing the Cameo/Parkway material, maybe they'll put out the 96 TEARS and ACTION albums in their entirety and it will drive the vinyl values down.

Have the original recordings ever been issued on CD in the US??

Don't think I've ever even seen ACTION...

I think I've seen the reissue for Action. I also recall it sucking. Verification? Hateration on T.N. for blasphemy?

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts

I totally feel you. I scored "Action" about a 6 months ago. Never thought I would find that thing. I see the first album pretty often but never under $50.
    Oh...they did reissue both albums already.

I think I've seen the reissue for Action. I also recall it sucking. Verification? Hateration on T.N. for blasphemy?

Blasphemy!

It just didn't have the same feel as the first one if I recall correctly. It felt too "commercial." I don't remember well enough about it to stick to my guns on this one.

Paece!

T.N.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Action as an lp is pretty weak. IMO 2 good tracks, although I can't remember the names. I sold a mono copy for $50 or so. I've seen the stereo version twice in the last year.

I think I've seen the reissue for Action.

If you did see a CD reissue, it was a bootleg, likely. Abkco has had the rights to this stuff since the seventies, but for the longest time they just sat on the masters while they kept on pimping the Rolling Stones and Sam Cooke.

It was an LP reissue. I absolutely LOVE the first album, don't get me wrong. I just don't recall liking that second un.
    T.N.

You can find the single "Smokes" of Action pretty easily. I think that might be their best song. IMO. Their version of "Shout" is cool too.

^^^ Yeah, it was that mamma jamma on reissue. It didn't move me, but no one on soulstrut agrees with a lot of what I say anyway!

I totally feel you. I scored "Action" about a 6 months ago. Never thought I would find that thing. I see the first album pretty often but never under $50.

Oh...they did reissue both albums already.

One of the best come-ups I've ever had was when a guy attempted to sell some records to a used store; he was turned down cold. I saw him headed for the exit and could just make out the cover of the 96 TEARS album among a sea of Kenny Loggins and REO Speedwagon albums. I asked him how much he wanted for the ? album - he just paused, sighed and said "hey, you can HAVE it!"

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Rudy Martinez and I don't know how many original members put out a vinyl/CD release of re-recordings of their stuff a few years back, because A. Klein has refused to release/license it. He is such a douche.

I just finally copped the "96 Tears" LP a few weeks ago, I mentioned in a finds post how I had been looking for a cheap one since the late 80's. It was $8, although a little rough...luckily, the most beat tracks were the ones I have on 45!

I can imagine some bad stuff on "Action," because I do have a Cameo 45 from that time, and probably that album, that is pretty pussed out, "Love Me Baby (Cherry July)" - But "Girl (You Fascinate Me)" & "Smokes" are dope...and their 45's on other labels ("Oh La La" on Super K, the stuff on Capitol) are pretty on point.

My question is, who owns/has heard their "funk" 45 on LUV from 1972??

Sound clip???

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Don't think I've ever even seen ACTION...

Anyway, I've always loved that swirling organ on the bridge leading up to and including the chord change. But man, is that song overplayed. I wish I could go back in time and hear it anew.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    YES!!!!!! End to end burner as the kids say. Love this LP. I think it actually has a couple breaks if I remember right (trash canny as stated). A lot of garage stuff is lame but this is some killer shit. Got lucky and paid less than $10 about 5 years ago.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I have the 96 Tears & I Need Somebody 45s but those LPs never turn up.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Then there's the story that the song came from a poem ? (Rudy Martinez) wrote, and when a record label heard it, they wanted to call it "96 Tears". He didn't like it, but the Mysterians said how about "69 Tears", which was allegedly the subject of the song (about him looking up, she looking down, and he making her "cry"). They knew the title would have made the song unplayable, so "96 Tears" was chosen.

Right up there with Bryan Adams' "Summer Of 69".

• slushslush 691 Posts
    i got a relatively skated copy for a dollar along with release of an oath in what was formerly the kensington fish shack, but is now something else. back then it was a coffee shop bodega thing. i had a coffee and listened to ?. i dont remember it on oldie channels.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    My question is, who owns/has heard their "funk" 45 on LUV from 1972??

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    well yeah, of course the 45 is common. I'm talking about a clean copy of the full length album.

...the 45 on Cameo Parkway is common. But it was originally pressed on Pa-Go-Go (a small garage label out of Michigan). The version of 96 Tears on this pressing is longer than the later commercial release. Very hard to find ($100-$150).

-k

• I have a 45 they did as the Semicolons on Cameo. It's an instrumental called 'Beachcomber'.