Fuck schools - Boy, 13, hangs himself

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Don't know why it took a year for this to be news.http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/artic...food/article.doBoy, 13, hangs himself after bullies pelt him with food[/b]A Schoolboy hanged himself using his favourite football team scarf after complaining that he was being persecuted on the bus ride home from lessons.Paul Moran, 13, would sometimes arrive in tears, his hair and clothes covered with food and drink thrown by other pupils, his mother said yesterday.On one occasion his beloved Liverpool FC bag was ripped and on another he was even thrown down stairs, Carole Moran added.Finally, after speaking about suicide to friends, the "sensitive and caring" teenager's mother found him suspended from his metal bunk bed with his Liverpool scarf, facing a poster of his favourite team.In a further tragedy, a girl from the same school, Jenny Sykes, also 13, hanged herself eight months later after apparently becoming depressed over his death.Detectives investigating the schoolgirl's death took away her computer after fears that she visited suicide chatrooms before killing herself.Yesterday an inquest into Paul's death in Blackpool, Lancashire, heard that his mother had complained three times to staff at Lytham St Annes High School that he was being bullied.Mrs Moran, 45, told the hearing: "One day he came home covered in eggs and flour and crying his eyes out. He could not understand why he was being picked on and kept saying 'Why me, why me?'."They even tore his Liverpool football bag which upset him. The school bus stop was right outside our house but often he would get off a few stops earlier to avoid more trouble."One day he was pushed out of his seat on the top deck and thrown down the stairs, and on another his boots were thrown off the bus, she said.He started avoiding the upper deck after his earring was ripped out but could still hear bullies shouting abuse at him from upstairs, and on one occasion a girl spat at him and shoved a banana in his face.She added that his older brother Steven, 23, had offered to speak to the bullies, but Paul feared that would only make things worse.On November 27 last year, a Sunday, just hours after he had been looking at a Christmas catalogue with his mother, his six-year-old sister, Courtney, found him hanging in his room.She fetched their mother who dialled 999 but paramedics were unable to save him.Following his death, police took 23 statements from other children at the school and discovered he had spoken to friends about suicide.But although they found some evidence of bullying, there was nothing that would justify criminal action.At yesterday's hearing, school headteacher Phillip Wood said teachers had investigated allegations that Paul had been covered in food but found he was not the only one because there had been a "food fight" on the bus.He added: "I do not think it was aimed at Paul uniquely. The problem is that what is high spirits to some children can appear to be bullying to others."The school had a strict anti-bullying policy which had been updated since Paul's death, he added.Coroner Anne Hind said Paul may have been worried because the prospect of going back to school the following morning was looming.However she recorded an open verdict, saying: "It could have been an accident, it could have been a cry for help, or it could have been a successful suicide, but Paul left no note and we will never know."Jenny Sykes, who is not thought to have been close friends with Paul but who was apparently deeply moved by his death, was found hanged at her home on July 12.Police said they did not find any evidence she had visited suicide chatrooms. An inquest into her death is expected to be heard next year.

Comments

• yeah if there were no more schools then no one would ever get picked on!

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    damnit, america is so full of violence, makes me si.....wait, what? this happened where?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    yeah if there were no more schools then no one would ever get picked on!

Well, actually, if everyone were home schooled, then yeah, bullying would decline significantly.

You disagree?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    man, there was bullying when i went to school but nothing remotely this bad. you would actually have to do something to get fucked with this much

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    When they say "suicide chat rooms" they mean
    like Samaritan shit, right? Not people hanging
    out chatting about how cool it would be to kill themselves...right??

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    no, there are indeed chat rooms where people talk about suicide and how cool it would be and all that garbage

• I'm not sure if it's the same in America...but UK kids seem to get cheekier by the year...shit that even 5 years ago would have been a no go is being done by kids from age 10 and up. Just check for the "happy slapping" craze that started as an example, as well as seagulling (you don't wanna know). Kids seem to get braver/cockier as time gets on, and with less respect for those around them, not all kids obviously, but enough for it to be a problem...

• stuff like this really bums me out...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    damnit, america is so full of violence, makes me si.....wait, what? this happened where?

www.breakingnews.ie

German school shooter 'a loner', says prosecutor
    20/11/2006 - 17:23:51

A former student armed with guns and bombs stormed a high school in north-western Germany today, injuring 25 people before he was found dead, police said.

The 18-year-old went into the Geschwister Scholl school in Emsdetten, near the Dutch border and fired several shots, officials said.

Three students aged 12 to 15, a female teacher and the head caretaker suffered gunshot wounds. Several of the injuries were serious, but none life-threatening.

Another 20 people were hurt by the smoke, most of them police officers. The school was quickly cleared and the students taken to safety.

The assailant was found dead during a police search of the school, officers said. His name has not been released.

The incident brought back memories of a shooting rampage in the eastern German city of Erfurt in 2002, when a former pupil killed himself and 16 others, most of them teachers.

The suspect in today's shooting spree had indicated his plans on an internet site that carried pictures of him in military-style uniform and brandishing what appeared to be a submachine gun, and left a farewell note that "indicates something of his motive," state prosecutor Wolfgang Schweer said.

He also said the man had been due to go trial tomorrow for weapons offences after being caught with a loaded pistol several months earlier.

"He seems to have been frustrated by a lack of meaning in his life," Schweer said at a news conference.

"We have no reason to think he had contact with any extremist groups. It appears that he was a loner who decided on his own to do this."

Witnesses said the masked gunman parked his car nearby and opened fire as soon as he entered the school yard, wounding several people and sending students running in all directions.

The first patrol car arrived at the scene six minutes after a distress call from a school secretary, prompting the attacker to withdraw to the second floor, said Hans Volkmann, a senior police officer.

Heavily armed police officers searched the building room by room, evacuating four more terrified students. They found the assailant lying dead in a smoke-filled room.

Volkmann said officers could see two sawed-off guns lying near his body and a knife strapped to his leg. Several home-made pipe bombs also were lying nearby and the man appeared to be carrying other explosive devices on his body.

Volkmann said the man's face was "unrecognisable" because of serious injuries but that it wasn't clear if he had shot himself or was killed by one of the bombs. Police fired no shots, he said.

"He is still lying there because he's wired up," Volkmann said. "Experts are still trying to defuse those devices."

Students at the school said the assailant was an aggressive and aloof individual who played violent computer games[/b] and had said he wanted to join the army.

Katja Weber, a 17-year-old student at the school, said he always wore a black hat and coat.

"He was an absolute loner," Weber told reporters outside the school. "Guns were his hobby."

-----------------------

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    You know why these kids are acting a fool?
    They're not getting their ass whupped no more.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    "He was an absolute loner," Weber told reporters outside the school. "Guns were his hobby."

See: this is bullshit. There must be some MLA form to writing "bullied child murders self, others" articles. Hello: please have some class & taste, journalists, before closing an article like this - interviewing a kid that probably only knew the deceased from appearance - and painting a human being as an easy-fit stereotype. I think that most newsfolks and the reading public like to have and supply nice, pat answers to tough existential issues that bear no such pleasantries or silver linings. This only insulates the problem.

I have no sympathy for bullies. I was bullied every day of my Middle School life and a good deal of High School as well. I'd like to say that I'm stronger for the experience, but it's something that's scarred me. I'm not too big of a man to admit this. I never had it as bad as Paul - an earring ripped out! - but I still remember the names, shoves, and public humiliations. Jesus Christ; I've never been able to comprehend pure cruelty towards other human beings.

And this is one of the reasons why the problem persists - It's-not-our-fault public admin PR trash like this:

"I do not think it was aimed at Paul uniquely. The problem is that what is high spirits to some children can appear to be bullying to others."

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    stuff like this really bums me out...
    that really made me sad. I hate when shit like this happens, especially when he was crying out for help. On a somewhat related story, a dude i knew of, i never chilled with him personally but we saw each over out once and a while. Dudes got a little boy and he was young, like 21. He had a dope problem and tried to beat it and was doing good for a while until this chick broke up with him. He got real fucked up and got back into dope and even thru his myspace he would leave these strange morbid comments on his page and to his friends. Dude killed himself about a month later. Now i don't know what happened, or who tried to help him or whatever, im not judging anyone, but he was giving out cries of help. and still he offed himself. I heard about it then saw the myspace and just felt real sorry for this dude. He wanted to get better and get his life straight, but he just wasn't strong enough. I mean you cant blame his friends or whatever for not being there, cause i do not know that deep into the story and how can you really blame someone for that shit, but i just would like to think if one of my friends came to me that fucked up and rock bottom that i could help them or get them the help they need. but you never know. shits crazy. back to the topic, this little dudes world was destroyed by some future prisoners and gas station attendants. Some punk motherfuckers that most likely will amount to nothing. Dont get my wrong i was no saint, ive bullied some kids when i was a youngin, but I was never taking bananas and shoving them into kids faces and ripping up there bags and shit. Thats fucked up and those kids need a good beating by some parental figures. I just feel bad for the little dude cause he told mad people he was getting harassed and no one really helped him. He was just terrorized daily and had to live a short and miserable existence. That shit aint right. If i were that dudes older brother i would fucking whoop everyone on the buses ass then ask questions later. daily. and take there lunch money and flush there heads in the toilet on a regular basis till they are 30.

i went from sad to pissed.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    man, there was bullying when i went to school but nothing remotely this bad. you would actually have to do something to get fucked with this much

Yeah, f'real. School kids are gonna pick on each other, and there's really not a lot you can do to stop it, but ripping out earrings and shit? That's way beyond the typical bully bullshit.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Of course not, but I'm willing to bet that if those bullies had more say in what they got to do all day, they wouldn't have as much time or inclination to pick on other kids.

Of course not, but I'm willing to bet that if those bullies had more say in what they got to do all day, they wouldn't have as much time or inclination to pick on other kids.

Sometimes you need to just tell children they can't do something because it's wrong. Not try to distract them from doing it. This isn't like grillz. This is borderline, if not actual, abuse and harassment. I think it's disgusting to allow children to treat each other like this when adults would lose their jobs and even be thrown in jail for pulling the same shit.

Some would argue it builds character but looking the other way all the time can also make a kid feel worthless. When you're an adult there's so many options to deal with a situation like this. When you're a child that doesn't have the support of adults you have no options except to run away. You're utterly helpless. I think adults tend to forget the total lack of control they had over their lives of a child.

• I haven??t been bullied really myself but my girlfriend was and also my ex-girlfriend and boy I tell you they have deep scars ten years after it happened.

World is fucked, I??m thinking of working at a school with children aged 12-15 just because of these things, trying to make a change

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    "We have no reason to think he had contact with any extremist groups. It appears that he was a loner who decided on his own to do this."

what an idiot. i doubt anything will change in germany. politicians and lawyers are idiots over here. especially politicians. uneducated, naive people.
    it were neither the computer games, nor the weapons. his fellow students and his teachers had the main impact... but they'd never admit that.

i was never really someone that got into fights. but i told my fellow students to stop harassing others. and i was the only one at my school doing that...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I haven??t been bullied really myself but my girlfriend was and also my ex-girlfriend and boy I tell you they have deep scars ten years after it happened.

i think the scars will stay for your whole life. they will start to smooth out a bit, but they will never disappear. you can learn to deal with them, but basically those scars are permanent.

schools should teach ethics to their students.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    i think the scares will stay for your whole life. they will start to smooth out a bit, but they will never disappear. you can learn to deal with them, but basically those scars are permanent.

Basically, with so few adults in schools, it's like saying to a hundred 13-15 year olds "Here, go make your own society for most of the day". I just don't know what I would do if this happened to my future kids - say "don't worry, it'll go away in three years"?.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Parents should also raise their kids properly.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Parents should also raise their kids properly.

yes. more time for parents with their kids at home!!!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    if there is one thing in this world that makes me so sad/angry/frustrated, it is bullying. I just cant take it when i see bullying in any form.

i was hospitalised for 2 weeks when i was 13 after standing up to a school bully, him and his brother took turns holding my arms behind my back while his boys broke 3 ribs, cracked my jaw and pretty much worked me over good. i was unconcious for a few days and suffered a huge asthma attack in the process so it was touch and go for a while.

years later, i was a very differant person, and i ended up working security in a shitkicker bar and one of the guys came in one night, i would like to say i was man enough to just scare him a bit and then resolve my personal demons by being the bigger guy, but i cant. I cracked his face into a toilet and gave him the beating of his life.

Was that the right thing to do?

No- violence begets violence and all i did was continue the cycle.

Did it make me feel better?

im typing this with a grin on my face.

as a parent, the thought of having my little guy come home from school in tears from being bullied is almost as bad as the thought of a letter from his school saying he is the bully.

what do you do?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    You know why these kids are acting a fool?
    They're not getting their ass whupped no more.

This deserves a cosign from everyone who posts on this thread - you can't enforce how the parents do or don't discipline their kids at home, so school should, for the benefit of society, be the one place where they are guaranteed an ass-whuppin' to teach them some respect. Kids have NO FUCKING FEAR OF CONSEQUENCES ANYMORE, 'cos they live in a world without them; from their own personal experiences to the example set by society - ie debt from the individual level to national, even global (environment is being overdrawn), debt is the modern way of life, and role models whether parents or politicians need to show more willingness to face up to responsibilities, admissions of failure or acceptance of criticism.

If I was growing up now, I'd look around me and think "what the fuck, I can do what I like as everybody else is".

• i told my fellow students to stop harassing others. and i was the only one at my school doing that...

Same here.

I was bullied myself, no cracked ribs or anything, but I would be met at school every day by 3 or 4 different dudes telling me to go hang myself, call me a fag, push me down stairs and what not. I was tempted to end it myself, but didn't. Wisest decision of my life.

Kids can be the most heartless, vicious beings on Earth.

- J

• I'm not sure if it's the same in America...but UK kids seem to get cheekier by the year...shit that even 5 years ago would have been a no go is being done by kids from age 10 and up. Just check for the "happy slapping" craze that started as an example, as well as seagulling (you don't wanna know). Kids seem to get braver/cockier as time gets on, and with less respect for those around them, not all kids obviously, but enough for it to be a problem...

a friend told me about this "happy slapping" shit, can you please explain it, is it groups of kids that just go up to individual people on the street and start lightly slapping them all up? whats the deal?

• Nah, it's more aggressive than that... kids get out their phones and wait for a stranger to walk past and then they film it as one of their friends slaps them as hard as possible in the face. They don't discriminate and will happily do it old ladies and men, women, children, anyone... there's lots of footage on the internet of these attacks, and kids send them to each others phones to show off. This has led to some trying to impress others by doing more extreme stuff, one group set fire to a guy sleeping in a bus shelter and pissed on him, i think he died from that. One group on a council estate (the UK's equivalent of the projects...) that my auntie lives on found some guy, started an arguement with him and came back later in the night to get him, they beat him up with golf clubs, baseball bats, and stole his phone and used it to film the guy being beaten to death before sending the footage to his relatives, fucking sickos. So as you can see, it escalates pretty quickly...

• magpiemagpie 160 Posts
    kids hanging themselves due to bullying happens all the time in japan...
    in the past couple of weeks, 2 students have hung themselves, and one of
    the students' principal hung himself out of "shame" for the incident...

i cant believe shit gets that bad...but i guess i dont really "know"

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Sometimes you need to just tell children they can't do something because it's wrong. Not try to distract them from doing it.

That isn't what I said. Bullying and similar forms of violence do not materialize out of thin air. Alleviating the oppressive environments experienced by children is not a distraction. It's a salve.

Sometimes you need to just tell children they can't do something because it's wrong. Not try to distract them from doing it.

That isn't what I said. Bullying and similar forms of violence do not materialize out of thin air. Alleviating the oppressive environments experienced by children is not a distraction. It's a salve.

OMG... so OREGONIAN right now!

Seriously I'm with Mike. This ain't about school it's about parenting.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    lord of the flies

home schooling please

i saw rape,torture,theft.,arson,vandilism,all kinds of violence by the second grade
    then murder,death ,drugs,gang warfare and teachers being stabbed by jr high
    then i quit going