HEAT....Wild funk in DC, Pics from last night

NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
So last night's festivites were somewhat rediculous. Quite a few strutters were involved including Neville C, DJ Pi & Beattactics. Anyways, see for yourself. Good times!Pure autism. There once was a story of a man named Latin.Obsession.Wasted. Crowd feeling it.Bar feeling it. Cultured & damn fine ladies enjoying Third Guitar in style. Ultra Annoying Suicide Girl with total lack of personality. She handed me a napkin with her website address, and I would've thrown it away except there was no trashcan nearby. She eventually materialized in the DJ booth. Uhh.Still in the way. How she got up there, I'm not totally sure, but I think it may have been my fault. I hit my head tripping over her once.And I leave you with this message of wisdom....

Comments

• Great night. Nice pics. Thanks for letting me sit in. Best two song set ever!

PS. I thought that woman in the DJ booth was your roadie!

• i thought d.c was the "chocolate city" ? where is the chocolate?

• it was sprinkled in there last night but unfortunately you don't get as many brothers as you should on the funk nights. the ones that come enjoy though.

• Ah! i see, regardless it looks like a good time was had by all.

• where and when was it? I'll represent for kville next time

• It's always the second Thursday of the month @ Cafe Saint Ex, which is at the corner of 14th and T in NW DC. Here's the weblink: http://www.saint-ex.com/gate54.html

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Just for the record...

I'm not autistic.

If any strutters are in the area and can make it...please come out! There's always an abundance of good music and fine ladies. (and NiteKrawler's suicide girls!)

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    i thought d.c was the "chocolate city" ? where is the chocolate?

DC is like the twist cone

mixed crowds, really mixed crowds.... almost always total happenstance. So you generally get one sprinkled with the other or vice versa.

There is very much a "is it a black club/is it a white club" vibe that goes on in DC, at the very least subliminally. I have seen large groups of black club-goers come down the steps at Saint-Ex only to turn on their heels and bolt when they encounter the dancefloor.

• I have seen large groups of black club-goers come down the steps at Saint-Ex only to turn on their heels and bolt when they encounter the dancefloor.

I think the dancefloor/setup down there turns a lot of people off - black/white whatever. When that place fills up it is damn near impossible to dance.

but, the cone analogy is pretty spot on (unfortunately).

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I have seen large groups of black club-goers come down the steps at Saint-Ex only to turn on their heels and bolt when they encounter the dancefloor.

I think the dancefloor/setup down there turns a lot of people off - black/white whatever. When that place fills up it is damn near impossible to dance.

but, the cone analogy is pretty spot on (unfortunately).

The dancefloor is tight, but the fact remains that it is really tough to cultivate an audience that isn't overwhelmingly one demographic, but actually anywhere near representative of the city population. I am not trying to find fault, just venting frustration. Shit, it's the same when I throw a private party at my house....it's not like people CAN'T mingle, it's just that it seems forever lopsided. When I went to the Rub in Brooklyn a couple years back, it opened my eyes big time to the fact that people enjoy a diverse crowd when it's the last thing on their minds and simply a reality. Unfortunately, DC seems to keep that seperation at the frontal lobe at all times.

I also think at places like Wonderland and Saint-Ex it's the casual nature that throws some folks off, too. Like people are expecting to see people looking flash and wearing their best weekend duds, and they find out it's 'come as you are'. I think that turns off the people who expect 'the CLUB'....it's not just a black/white thing. Managing expectations on all fronts seems to be an impossible task.

All that political/sociological BS aside, congrats to Nitekrawler on a great turnout and if my out-of-town friends would have called before midnight, you woulda seen me there too!

• i've never gotten as many requests from anywhere else like I have from spinning at saint-ex. sure the parties are fun and crowded, but damn, after a while having people request the same ol shit i.e madonna, prince, snoop time after time wears a dude out.

anyone who's spun there knows exactly what i'm talking about.

keep up that hustle k. glad to see that party going off.

easy.