What else do you use as part of your DJ setup?

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
I'm looking to further pimp out my DJ setup. Maybe some better cartridges and a EFX-500. What else is recommended? I know so little about music technology it ain't funny. A Microwave isn't in the cards though.

Comments

• efx 500 us pretty dope and adds a different dimension to your mixing. not to mention it's a hell of a lot cleaner to echo out and drop in to way different tempos.

needles are important. if you arent djing on needles you really like right now, i'd say you'd really enjoy needles that suit you well, whether they track really well for scratching or are excellent sounding... a needle upgrade is a good investment.
    personally i use the shure m447s. they suite me and are not as expensive as ortofons. but if i had a few hundred dollars that i didnt need and lready had everything else... i would probably buy the ortofon OM night clubs.

a way to super pimp your setup would probably be a new mixer... if i had all the cash in the world i'd really like to pick up a pioneer 909. on the more realistic end of the sspectrum i'd probably pick up a rane 56. or an empath. empaths are pretty nice.

super nice headphones are probably another good dj treat. id really like to pick up those sennheiser hd 25s.

i think those are probably at the top of my dj wish list.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    For awhile the Rane 56 was my dream mixer but I just don't like the feel of the crossfader. The Pio 909 is a sweet deal because you get everything in the EFX-500 + touch screen controls + another FX loop, and some really dope faders.

I've seen a lot of DJs use samplers as part of their set, just for simple things like vocal samples, that annoying horn noise, etc. Then there's the whole Ableton Live element of things, which is some ish right there.

For carts I don't have much experience with Ortofon, but I love my 447s so much I'm not sure I could ever change.

There are some really dope headphones you should check out too if you need an upgrade there, called the Ultrasone HFI-550s (or DJ1 Pro). When you play out, they give you a great impression of what your audience hears, because they work like speakers. Compared to the Sony 7506s that most everyone seems to use, they give you less detail, but are more comfortable, and it matters more what your audience hears than what you hear.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    i have an old boss spring reverb that adds so much warmth to everthing i put it thru. i got no effects loops in my mixer though which is total

ive wanted to add this too just to get real stoner on people

i guess i might be better getting a 4 channel mixer for all this... would be fly as f*ck

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    That space echo right there is THE SHIT. My friend has studio C at Fantasy Studios in Berkeley, and they've got 4 reverb rooms that you can patch into. It's ridiculous tight.

• It's ridiculous tight.