Lots of vinyl 3 doors down from me...

john_doejohn_doe 237 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
So I'm walking down the street to the mailbox and one of my neighbors (an elderly couple) has their garage open...I glance over and see two walls of the garage lined with boxes and boxes of records, stacked like 2-3 high. I'm reaaaaly curious about what's in there, can anyone suggest any kind of way to ask them without sounding...I don't know...like a weirdo? I felt weird enough staring into their garage as I walked past it - twice.Or is it okay to just knock on their door: "Yeah, I see you got records in your garage, was wondering if you were ever going to get rid of them..."John

Comments

• Or is it okay to just knock on their door: "Yeah, I see you got records in your garage, was wondering if you were ever going to get rid of them..."

make sure you point out that they are old

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    This could be a slightly difficult situation, but you could break the ice by knocking on their door and introducing yourself as a neighbor, and that you are trying to meet some more of the people in the neighborhood. Do the small talk thing, and then you could prodceed to say that you are really into vinyl, you dj and you are curious what kind of music they are into, etc.

Or you could go the route and steal a piece of mail from their mailbox one day and bring it back later in the evening to their house and tell them that the mailman accidentally delivered it to you... then you would do the introduction and ..." Do the small talk thing, and then you could prodceed to say that you are really into vinyl, you dj and you are curious what kind of music they are into, etc. "

woah , i think i put more thought into this than you... where do you live?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Just tell them that you'll give them a dollar for every record they have that's actually worth $25 or more.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Offer to convert some of their favorites to CDs.

• Offer to convert some of their favorites to CDs.

works for me every time

• Offer to convert some of their favorites to CDs.

That's nice...Seriously, a good idea.

Honestly, most older folks I've talked to, when they hear that I collect records can't wait to offer them. Just be honest, say you saw them, and inquire if you could take a look, and pay them a fair price. In my experience (limited with strangers, yes) they will almost pay YOU to take them.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• If the records are in the garage (as opposed to the living room) then you probably got a shot at em.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    SoI !!!

• If the records are in the garage (as opposed to the living room) then you probably got a shot at em.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Just tell them that you'll give them a dollar for every record they have that's actually worth $25 or more.

But only if they serve you ribs and hook you up with the girl down the street.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    tell them about Marcofunk.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I'd steal them. Stealing records is hiphop.

• haha...funny ass replies...

I think I'll go with this one though...(crowbar/gloves/mask/radio flyer comes in a close second though)

Just be honest, say you saw them, and inquire if you could take a look, and pay them a fair price. In my experience (limited with strangers, yes) they will almost pay YOU to take them.

Thanks, kitchenknight. Sounds like a plan, although I should have done it today - I had the day off. I'll let you know what happens.

catalist - I live right outside of Cincy, in what seems to be a retirement community (mad old folks in the neighborhood!).

Living outside of the city actually makes me feel sometimes.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    if they have tons of records like you say, doesnt that mean they are really into them? or once were? they probably know more than you think, right?

either that or they are old and stupid

• if they have tons of records like you say, doesnt that mean they are really into them? or once were? they probably know more than you think, right?

either that or they are old and stupid

yeah cuz they have been here so long it made their brain rott right? my people are old

• I'd steal them. Stealing records is hiphop.

• Just ask them. Nothing weird about that.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

I love it how you get some threads here where frantic people are telling everyone to be on the lookout for someone who stole crates from a night when they djed and everyone feels sympathy, helps them out...then when it's involving some nonsuspecting older folks lp's it's somehow ok, even justifed to straight steal from them. Fuck that. Whoever steals records from anyone, I don't care the circumstances is pretty damn low.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I love it how you get some threads here where frantic people are telling everyone to be on the lookout for someone who stole crates from a night when they djed and everyone feels sympathy, helps them out...then when it's involving some nonsuspecting older folks lp's it's somehow ok, even justifed to straight steal from them. Fuck that. Whoever steals records from anyone, I don't care the circumstances is pretty damn low.

Not only would I steal the records, I would also rape the old lady in front of her unsuspecting-pigeon-look-husband. Then, I would kill both of them and clean some records with their blood.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    AMERICAN-RECORD-COLLECTOR-PSYCHO

A novel by JLR.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Danno is the future of hip hop.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Not only would I steal the records, I would also rape the old lady in front of her unsuspecting-pigeon-look-husband. Then, I would kill both of them and clean some records with their blood.

they do have these unsolved crime tv shows in argentina too,right?

You folks clearly don't remember the "stealing records from radio stations is the thirteenth element of hiphop" threads.

• Talk to the wife, she has probably been begging him to get rid of the records for 40 years.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

You folks clearly don't remember the "stealing records from radio stations is the thirteenth element of hiphop" threads.

Wow....I want to see someone throw up that waaaaambulace graemlin when someone posts a stolen crates filled with raer thread. Now THAT would be hip hop.

• Bet the wife was a secretary for King Records for years and years and used to get two or three promo copies sent to her of each new release. Never played em just boxed em up and let them sit in the garage. Was going to give them to the church but since you asked...Sorry my alarm just went off.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    dudes, its obviously a FUCKIN JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    get a sense of humor. holy shit!

• I'd steal them. Stealing records is hiphop.

that thread gave me a headache