Project Blowed 10th Anniversary Tour - ATX edition

ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Showed up to Emo's Thursday night with Ellay Khule and Pterradacto on stage as Hip Hop Kclan. Apparently we missed previous sets by Customer Service and Otherwize. Anyway Khule was on fire with his accelerated patterns as usual. Can't wait to hear Califormula. In the meantime I'll keep bumping that sick, sick, sick Hip Hop Kclan track off of the PB 10th Anniversary album.Busdriver was on next. Perfect chance to go socialize.Then Medusa came on with her standard interactive set. Somehow over the years I never realized how much of a lesbian she is. I mean, I always knew...but damned if she hasn't turned into a full-fledged bull dyke. Her girlfriend was hot as hell though, I gotta give her that. And Dr. EZ is categorically incredible on the decks.OK, here's what y'all might find especially interesting. Chillin Villain Empire was up next minus Ngafsh. Ridd, Wrecc, and Tray held it down, but their sound was hella shitty. Yes, I said it. I was kinda sad for them...until the next day when I got a chance to listen to their new album titled Villainism. Holy smokes, it's fiya that even some of y'all couldn't avoid liking even if you left your hometown for NYC over 5 years ago. Seriously, plaese to peep.Oh yeah, at this point in the show I looked around and realized that it's not hard-as-fuck-black-g's nor cracker-ass-emo-dorks who are primarily into the Blowed...it's definitely young-horny-cutesy-girls. They were grinding all over each other during CVE's set like their was no tomorrow. My 33-year-old-fatherly self almost felt wrong just for witnessing some of what I saw. Then again I didn't really look away. Abstract Rude came on next, who I seemed to forget was even on the bill. What a wonderful surprise as he summarizes his decade-long career doing classics such as "Slow Lights" and "LA Styles Back" with ominous precision. I have no idea why he gets treated like some sort of a joke by folls on this site. If you grew up on the early-to-mid-70's soul/funk/reggae/jazz of Curtis Mayfield/War/Bob Marley/Gil Scott-Heron steez and you like rap, I simply don't understand the disconnect.Aceyalone came on next as the headliner, but after 2 songs we had to leave to go pick up our 2-month-old daughter from my wife's sister's in Round Rock. Heard the next day that there was a grand finale freestyle session to close the event with local Tee Double joining the Blowed massive. Also heard that Tee was talking about starting some sort of Project Blowed spin-off weekly here in Austin. I keep going back and forth in my mind on whether or not that's a good idea. When I spoke to Acey though he was going on about the Blowed in LA still going strong, how in 5-6 years he still expects it to be flourishing with even newer generations of artists carrying the torch. Hate it or love it...

Comments

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    who treats Ab Rude like a joke? I don't remember anyone clowning him specifically.

I think he's got one of the most Charismatic voices in hip hop. P.A.I.N.T. is probably one of my favorite albums out of the Blowed camp.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    "Slow Lights" and "LA Styles Back"

Nice. "LA Thynk Tanyk" is good, but I think "Mood Pieces" is still the nicest.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    who treats Ab Rude like a joke? I don't remember anyone clowning him specifically.

I think he's got one of the most Charismatic voices in hip hop. P.A.I.N.T. is probably one of my favorite albums out of the Blowed camp.

I caught all sorts of flak for listing PAINT among my top10 rap albums since 2000.

And that's like a no-brainer to me. A Coat of Paint is my ish.

I caught all sorts of flak for listing PAINT among my top10 rap albums since 2000.

And that's like a no-brainer to me. A Coat of Paint is my ish.

oh hell yeah...that's the cut. I musta missed the top 10 list thing.

One of my illest LA hip hop moments was a couple years ago at the Basement Barnyard Boogie, I was djing in between sets and like 2Mex, Xolo, Busdriva, and Eyedea were on the roster for the night, but Acey and Ab were there by surprise and they did Frisbee live...all that was missing was Slug and LMNO who I could have cared less since they were the weakest on that track anyways. Anyways, getting to see that from the stage was pretty fuckin cool. Then J-Live did his thing which was dope and then Living Legends got up and ROCKED shit...spraying the crowd with silly string. I think there's a DVD coming out with all that footage.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    P.A.I.N.T. is probably one of my favorite albums out of the Blowed camp.

Boo.

"LA Thynk Tanyk" is good, but I think "Mood Pieces" is still the nicest.

Yay!

One of my illest LA hip hop moments was a couple years ago at the Basement Barnyard Boogie, I was djing in between sets and like 2Mex, Xolo, Busdriva, and Eyedea were on the roster for the night, but Acey and Ab were there by surprise and they did Frisbee live...all that was missing was Slug and LMNO who I could have cared less since they were the weakest on that track anyways. Anyways, getting to see that from the stage was pretty fuckin cool. Then J-Live did his thing which was dope and then Living Legends got up and ROCKED shit...spraying the crowd with silly string. I think there's a DVD coming out with all that footage.

Looks like somebody broke the Daze pi??ata. Let's all scramble for the names!

haha...you're a fool fool. Get off the internet and serenade me on my cell phone again. Mister falsetto.

My top 10 favorite Blowed albums of all-time:

10. P.E.A.C.E. - Southern Fry'd Chicken - Not so much because it's such a perfectly constructed album but moreso because I had been waiting for like 8 years for new solo PEACE material...and most tracks found him merging his West Coast gangstaisms with Southern bounce and psuedo-drum-n-bass heat.

9. Abstract Tribe Unique - Underground Fossils - Used to bump the hell out of this tape on my Walkman repeated listen after repeated listen. It's definitely raw but effective as well.

8. CVE - Unclassified - Recorded back when crazy-ass Chu was still a big part of the Afterlife scene. Time for the Diplo crowd to finally dicover Party on da Way. And oh yeah, "it ain't even manly not to have a plan B".

7. CVE - Declassified - This would rank higher if I considered it as the cassette that Ridd and Fish recorded for me one night when we were playing chess at CVShack back in 98. Most of the tracks from that tape wound up on Declassified. A photo I took of Ridd and Khule made it on its cover. Includes and incredible stretch of FishnChips, Hip Hop Wedding Tune, Full Metal Jacket, and Innocent Suspects.

6. ATU - South Central Thynk Tank - Fat Jack and Ab make such a perfect pair. Tell me Just Like Akira ain't on some transcendental shit.

5. Volume10 - Hip Hopera - My wife and I have been finding ourselves quoting songs from this album to our baby. Whereas I've been telling her "push, push, baby, push...now breathe" when she's gassy, my wife just this morning was serenading her with the slight variation of "you sho is hype and you're just my type".

4. Project Blowed - OG cassette version - Summer of 94 was a blast. Only thing I'll say beyond that for now is that I'm determined to one day resurrect Section 8's Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood as a cult-classic-club-banger.

3. Freestyle Fellowship - Inner City Griots - The Fellowship's true finest moment. Hot Potato is still very much a certified b-boy anthem down here in Texas. Parkbench People is by far the best jazz-rap ever recorded. And Six Tray out gangstas any gangsta.

2. CVE - Portrait of a Serial Chiller - This is CV's classic beat compilation. So trance-inducing that it makes you think that yes indeed, Dr. Dre really is a pussy.

1. Eastside Badstads - Biggest of the Baddest - Insanely fast LA gangsta spit put to the beats of Portrait of a Serial Chiller. This is what folks need to hear to truly understand where the Blowed is coming from...which is out of gangsta rap traditions into completely new dimensions.

Honorable Mentions:

Freestyle Fellowship - To Whom It May Concern

ATU - Mood Pieces

Aceyalone - All Balls Don't Bounce

The Nonce - World Ultimate

Ellay Khule - Kclas-sixxx

CVE - Kaos Coup de Ta

OD - Beneath the Surface

Haiku de'Tat

Fat Jack - Cater to the DJ

Phoenix Orion - Zimulated Experiencez

Abstract Rude - PAINT

Ngafsh - Kill em All

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    My top 10 favorite Blowed albums of all-time:

10. P.E.A.C.E. - Southern Fry'd Chicken - Not so much because it's such a perfectly constructed album but moreso because I had been waiting for like 8 years for new solo PEACE material...and most tracks found him merging his West Coast gangstaisms with Southern bounce and psuedo-drum-n-bass heat.

9. Abstract Tribe Unique - Underground Fossils - Used to bump the hell out of this tape on my Walkman repeated listen after repeated listen. It's definitely raw but effective as well.

8. CVE - Unclassified - Recorded back when crazy-ass Chu was still a big part of the Afterlife scene. Time for the Diplo crowd to finally dicover Party on da Way. And oh yeah, "it ain't even manly not to have a plan B".

7. CVE - Declassified - This would rank higher if I considered it as the cassette that Ridd and Fish recorded for me one night when we were playing chess at CVShack back in 98. Most of the tracks from that tape wound up on Declassified. A photo I took of Ridd and Khule made it on its cover. Includes and incredible stretch of FishnChips, Hip Hop Wedding Tune, Full Metal Jacket, and Innocent Suspects.

6. ATU - South Central Thynk Tank - Fat Jack and Ab make such a perfect pair. Tell me Just Like Akira ain't on some transcendental shit.

5. Volume10 - Hip Hopera - My wife and I have been finding ourselves quoting songs from this album to our baby. Whereas I've been telling her "push, push, baby, push...now breathe" when she's gassy, my wife just this morning was serenading her with the slight variation of "you sho is hype and you're just my type".

4. Project Blowed - OG cassette version - Summer of 94 was a blast. Only thing I'll say beyond that for now is that I'm determined to one day resurrect Section 8's Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood as a cult-classic-club-banger.

3. Freestyle Fellowship - Inner City Griots - The Fellowship's true finest moment. Hot Potato is still very much a certified b-boy anthem down here in Texas. Parkbench People is by far the best jazz-rap ever recorded. And Six Tray out gangstas any gangsta.

2. CVE - Portrait of a Serial Chiller - This is CV's classic beat compilation. So trance-inducing that it makes you think that yes indeed, Dr. Dre really is a pussy.

1. Eastside Badstads - Biggest of the Baddest - Insanely fast LA gangsta spit put to the beats of Portrait of a Serial Chiller. This is what folks need to hear to truly understand where the Blowed is coming from...which is out of gangsta rap traditions into completely new dimensions.

Honorable Mentions:
    Freestyle Fellowship - To Whom It May Concern
    ATU - Mood Pieces
    Aceyalone - All Balls Don't Bounce
    The Nonce - World Ultimate
    Ellay Khule - Kclas-sixxx
    CVE - Kaos Coup de Ta
    OD - Beneath the Surface
    Haiku de'Tat
    Fat Jack - Cater to the DJ
    Phoenix Orion - Zimulated Experiencez
    Abstract Rude - PAINT
    Ngafsh - Kill em All

I KEED! Some of those albums I liked a lot i.e. the old ATU joints, definetly the Nonce, Aceyalone's first 2 Albums, the fellowship, OMD "Exitos y mas exitos"...

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    That's a pretty nice list Archaic. No A Book of Human Language though? I think that it's easily up there.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    Oh yeah, Volume 10's Hip Hopera is one of my favorites as well, but I never got around to listening to his second album. What's that like?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Who framed the A-Team?

Who framed the A-Team?

the first 12" off that has to be one of the worst recorded singles in the history of project blowed.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Then Medusa came on with her standard interactive set. Somehow over the years I never realized how much of a lesbian she is. I mean, I always knew...but damned if she hasn't turned into a full-fledged bull dyke.

You disappoint me, R.

Heard the next day that there was a grand finale freestyle session to close the event with local Tee Double joining the Blowed massive. Also heard that Tee was talking about starting some sort of Project Blowed spin-off weekly here in Austin. I keep going back and forth in my mind on whether or not that's a good idea.

I support Tee's hustle and the fact that he's been doing his thing in Austin for about 15 years now. I wish him all the best.

That's a pretty nice list Archaic. No A Book of Human Language though? I think that it's easily up there.

Guidelines is one of Acey's best songs ever, but I never really listened to Book of Human Language much as a full album.

And I never heard Volume10's 2nd album beyond his attempts to rehash Pistolgrip Pump.

Who framed the A-Team?

the first 12" off that has to be one of the worst recorded singles in the history of project blowed.

True.

Oh yeah, Volume 10's Hip Hopera is one of my favorites as well, but I never got around to listening to his second album. What's that like?

it's not that great...I have it around here somewhere, but I never listen to it. He's got one track on there about bangers in LA the chorus is like "rip ridas, damu ridas"...that one's ok but the rest of it is mehhh. I'll have to dig it out and listen again.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    what's the deal with the interview/documentary on the dvd that was included with the new blowed anv. cd? it sounds like the microphone was placed in the other room.

not mad at the "mic check" video though.

reach 2-3-4 &
    stretch 2-3-4

show you how we flip these stlyes in
    the 95-6-7-8 &

the dope-ity dope shit.