Always Ending Up With Known Stuff

Ethan_LopezEthan_Lopez 6 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
When you go to a record shop, flea market, or thrift store, is it normal to find the pop, rock, and swing of the 50s-60s (the known stuff; Beatles, Sinatra, Elvis, Streisand, Martin, ect., know what I'm getting at)? Or wherever you go is filled top to bottom with funk, soul, breaks, jazz, latin, library, and all the other rare goodies? Is there ever a place you go that you find absolutely nothing?

Comments

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    ?????????????????????????????????????
    Seriously what is your question?

• Pretty much every store, flea market, and thrift store I go into is stocked with the most insane funk, soul, breaks, jazz, latin, library, and all the other rare goodies.

Maybe I'm just getting lucky though.

• When you go to a record shop, flea market, or thrift store, is it normal to find the pop, rock, and swing of the 50s-60s (the known stuff; Beatles, Sinatra, Elvis, Streisand, Martin, ect., know what I'm getting at)? Or wherever you go is filled top to bottom with funk, soul, breaks, jazz, latin, library, and all the other rare goodies? Is there ever a place you go that you find absolutely nothing?

You will get clowned here but in all seriousness. Let me save you some time.

Ethan you live in NEW BEDFORD, MASSACHUSETTS. nuff said. Cambridge has some nice shops, even the north shoah. But none of them are "filled top to button with funk, soul, breaks, jazz, latin, library." No place is these days.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Pretty much every store, flea market, and thrift store I go into is stocked with the most insane funk, soul, breaks, jazz, latin, library, and all the other rare goodies.

Same here. I mean, just this morning at Goodwill I was all like, "ughhh... not another sealed S.O.U.L. lp... Where can I go for some sweet, smooth, and sad/moody music? I'm talking about what 9th Wonder samples???"

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    it just all depends. The flea markets out where im at are aight, and i do find some raers once and a while, but like last week i went to a salvo in new jersey and i cleaned up with mad breaks and raers. All in mint condition. Its just luck, and sometimes there dry but 2 day later someone will donate or sell some raer shit.

• When you go to a record shop, flea market, or thrift store, is it normal to find the pop, rock, and swing of the 50s-60s (the known stuff; Beatles, Sinatra, Elvis, Streisand, Martin, ect., know what I'm getting at)? Or wherever you go is filled top to bottom with funk, soul, breaks, jazz, latin, library, and all the other rare goodies? Is there ever a place you go that you find absolutely nothing?

Ethan you live in NEW BEDFORD, MASSACHUSETTS. nuff said. Cambridge has some nice shops, even the north shoah. But none of them are "filled top to button with funk, soul, breaks, jazz, latin, library." No place is these days.

That's just 'cause aschrock took it all!

Hey now, I performed with my dance company in New Bedford a few months back. It's got a nice performing arts theater, and also has the Whaling Museum.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I don't know if there is such a thing as absolutely nothing. Maybe in death, but we know so little about that.

My advice would be to re-prioritize what you are looking for. You are not likely to find absolutely nothing, so why not just look for something?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Pretty much every store, flea market, and thrift store I go into is stocked with the most insane funk, soul, breaks, jazz, latin, library, and all the other rare goodies.

Same here. I mean, just this morning at Goodwill I was all like, "ughhh... not another sealed S.O.U.L. lp... Where can I go for some sweet, smooth, and sad/moody music? I'm talking about what 9th Wonder samples???"

Even crink thinks the name 9th Wonder is a punchline...

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Where can I go for some sweet, smooth, and sad/moody music? I'm talking about what 9th Wonder samples[/b] ???"
    I thought you didn't listen to rap music.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Where can I go for some sweet, smooth, and sad/moody music? I'm talking about what 9th Wonder samples[/b] ???"
    I thought you didn't listen to rap music.

Been reading the classics

the classics

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I don't like the logic of this question. You want unknown stuff, but the stuff you want is knowingly sampled by 9th wonder?

If you want unknown stuff, buy any shit that was made in your city. You buy enough terds you start to figure out what the good shit is. It's not that hard, just takes a little patience. Soon you'll be scoring mad loner phonebooth raer and making platinum albums with the diplomats off the scratchy guitar riffs and harmonica braekz.

mad loner phonebooth raer and making platinum albums with the diplomats off the scratchy guitar riffs and harmonica braekz.
    Recordkingz.com needs you!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    You are giving the Lopez family a bad name.

• Apologies for the attitudes. I know what I want to say. It's just not coming out right. I am open to other styles. I..... I don't know. I'm just trying my best here. I don't want it to come out like this.

• THE REASON YOU GIT NO RECORDS SON IS BECAUSE I BOUGHT THEM ALL.

I BUY... YOU CRY.

DEAL.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    records are like women, start to mess with the ugly ones, then the hotties get jealous and begin to jump on you.

EMBRACE JOHNNY MATHIS

• doesn't 9th wonder use compact discs to make his garbage?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    OK here???s my theory (condensed version):
    BR>While in Massachusetts in 2002 to suss out the legalities of reissuing the Stark Reality album with WGBH, DJ/digger supreme Eothen ???Egon??? Alapatt stopped at a few antique stores around the area to unearth some joints (Band X being high on his MA wantlist). In the basement of a certain antique shop in New Bedford he was crushed by a bookcase of Dean Martin, Beatles, Sinatra, Elvis, Streisand, etc. unbeknownst to the near-deaf elderly owner quietly napping on the second floor.
    BR>Trapped down there for days, madness set in and his mind fractured into split personalities; much like the Boston Strangler decades earlier. After eventually being found by the owner and cleaned up Eothen???s secondary personality ???Ethan Lopez??? became dominant. Cursed with no short term memory he rented a small 1-room apartment in New Bedford???s seedy downtown district to meek out an existence. With nothing but the local library???s internet connection to guide him he looks endlessly for 9th Wonder samples over and over again in the same shop that had trapped him before. Never learning, never remembering, and never understanding.
    The End.
    IMG SRC=http://static.flickr.com/76/182129843_49cf2e8646_m.jpg>

• all right! i just used 9th as an example, not the best. would u rather i used dilla, blaze? anyway, if i were to go to the flea market next week and i list what i found, would yous understand i'm not whining over nothing? hey maybe things will turn out for the better and i'll have something(s). i don't drive, so i can't go anywhere else. that's the reason. i'm an up-and-coming producer that doesn't want to hack off the internet for samples.

• i really don't mean to be negative and uncooperative. you gotta understand.

• That's just 'cause amir[/b] took it all!

• You are not likely to find absolutely nothing, so why not just look for something?

• all right! i just used 9th as an example, not the best. would u rather i used dilla, blaze? anyway, if i were to go to the flea market next week and i list what i found, would yous understand i'm not whining over nothing? hey maybe things will turn out for the better and i'll have something(s). i don't drive, so i can't go anywhere else. that's the reason. i'm an up-and-coming producer that doesn't want to hack off the internet for samples.

Dudes I am sorry but there is no public transport in new bedford.

Unless you are looking for ill scrimshaw samples I'd say beg for car time.

Spend some time over in the Sale Classifieds section. I'm sure you'll find some heat over there.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    When you go to a record shop, flea market, or thrift store, is it normal to find the pop, rock, and swing of the 50s-60s (the known stuff; Beatles, Sinatra, Elvis, Streisand, Martin, ect., know what I'm getting at)? Or wherever you go is filled top to bottom with funk, soul, breaks, jazz, latin, library, and all the other rare goodies? Is there ever a place you go that you find absolutely nothing?

Hey Ethan,

Actually, the "quality" of what you find depends on your purposes. If you're looking to add good-sounding music to your collection for listening purpose, rarity is not a gauge of quality, per se. Don't get me wrong, some rare LPs are great but not all of them. For production, rarity helps keep your samples "under wraps", but it isn't necessary to have only obviously good records to make nice beats. I can play you a number of busted originals that I flipped to make dope songs (see the main phrase of my song "Help Me" as an example; that original, as recorded, was corny). For beat-making, it's all in the creativity. "Real creativity means making due with what you got..." Plus, why find what other dudes have used? You should flip your own stuff and make people sweat the samples you rocked (make your own classics). So, what's available in terms of records depends largely on your goals and frame-of-reference. Good luck!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Come down to Charleston, SC. I find plenty of stuff down here.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Is there ever a place you go that you find absolutely nothing?