what kind of person were you as a kid?

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
when i was 11, i wrote a book in 6th grade about a spoiled rich girl named Mary. one night she had a tantrum at dinner and threw her escargot plate at the wall. her mom gets fed up with the spoiled brat so she sends Mary to Compton to learn about the real world???. In the real world???, Mary witnesses crack use, gang violence, lazy cops, and prostitution. she learns her lesson and donates like a billion dollars to various inner-city programs and chairities.

Comments

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Three first names is .

I'm pretty sure I was a little goober.

• I'm feelin' the Crips and Bloods on the cover. And I, too, enjoyed "lasange" as a youth.

I wish I had stuff like that saved and/or scanned. An old girlfriend of mine found a "book" she'd made in 1st grade. In it, she listed her favorite meal [I should point out that her parents were recent immigrants from Sweden]:

+ cut-up

over

Any two of those together would be disgusting, but the trifecta is so far over the top as to be mindblowing.

[In her mom's defense, she eventually adjusted to US supermarkets and became a good cook.]

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    That's very cool. It reminds me of some of the things I used to draw as a kid.

I still have a few of the things I've written in the 4th grade, and there are times when I'll sit and wonder if that 9 year old kid would be impressed or embarsssed by the future version of him. Actually, I don't think it would be about being embarrased, he'd probably say "start again so you can do it again." Wheels turning 'round and 'round, I guess.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Any two of those together would be disgusting, but the trifecta is so far over the top as to be mindblowing.

That looks like the kind of food I would eat as a kid, when there was nothing in the fridge and mom had to come up with something to feed four people.

I don't know, but hot dogs and rice is fairly common where I'm from. The spaghetti sauce... now wait a minute, that's a packet[/b] of spaghetti sauce isn't it? That would be "exotic ketchup" I guess. Might as well get the bottle of ketchup, put a bit of water in it, sprinkle some pepper and oregano in it, shake it, and pour that over. A savior until dad gives you money to ride your bike to the corner store to buy a bottle of ketchup, only because his money is going for pakalolo tomorrow.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i was bigger than all the other kids, so the bullies never picked on me and I always stood up for the little kids or the kids that they made fun of and told them to quit it because it was mean. I also had a super-8 movie camera and made all these crazy stop-action claymation cartoons when I was in 5th and 6th grade.

and you should see my 1st grade "A Thanksgiving Cook Book" written entirely in verse, "take beet, cook and eat."

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

That looks like the kind of food I would eat as a kid, when there was nothing in the fridge and mom had to come up with something to feed four people.

I don't know, but hot dogs and rice is fairly common where I'm from. The spaghetti sauce... now wait a minute, that's a packet[/b] of spaghetti sauce isn't it? That would be "exotic ketchup" I guess. Might as well get the bottle of ketchup, put a bit of water in it, sprinkle some pepper and oregano in it, shake it, and pour that over. A savior until dad gives you money to ride your bike to the corner store to buy a bottle of ketchup, only because his money is going for pakalolo tomorrow.

Don't forget about the basil.

I was a total punk and a thief when I was a kid. But that all started to change when I was caught stealing, fittingly, MC Hammer's 2 Legit 2 Quit CD. Musicland didn't prosecute and I played "Pray" on repeat.

Before that, I tried to pen a Robocop sequel, that is before the sequel hit the theaters. It was a mix between the movie and the computer game Police Quest, and spanned two chapters of single-paced purple ink pages.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I was an OK kid for the most part, but I had an unbelievably short fuse. It didn't take a whole lot to set off my temper, and when my temper got set off, I would come out swinging. Literally. For a while, I got sent two grades ahead to do reading exercises, so of course, I would get teased by the third-graders for being a brainiac dumb-dumb first-grader. Here come the little fists of fury!

As for funny things I drew, my all-time classic--which my mom still has, actually--would have to be "Life in a Tide Pool," which I drew in the fourth grade. We had been studying tide pools, obviously, and as one of the wrap-up exercises, we were supposed to draw a picture of a tide pool, including all the things we had learned about. So I drew a picture, but I drew it quickly and then became bored. So in order to kill the rest of the time allotted for drawing, I decided to spruce up my drawing a bit.

Very quickly, the tide pool in my drawing became the beaches of Normandy on D-Day (I was a total WWII freak as a kid). The tide pool's flora and fauna suddenly had to compete with paratroopers, beachstorming soldiers, B-17s laying down carpet bombing (what? boredom trumps historical accuracy), and, for some strange reason, hammerhead sharks and electric eels. It was by far the most violent, lethal tide pool ever devised. And scrawled merrily across the top of the picture was the title: "Life in a Tide Pool." It still cracks me up.

• the lady and the lil one come home the other day and the lil one tells me she got a surprise for me and hands me this.....

i got it on the wall in the lab now....

later that day she was bangin on the keys on her lil radio shack casio keyboard, singin sonngs of "how she wants to be free"----

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I guess I was an okay kid.

My 11-year-old niece on the other hand is crazy. She painted this for my sister's birthday:

• this is me at age 8 or 9 or so

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    At first I thought that was a sailboat floating in the ocean and I was impressed.

Then I realized it was a goldfish in a bag.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Nice book, A! Favorite music is

DJ Screw in a coloring book? I want to see this. Nxet level for sure.

Aaron, your niece has an amazing gift.

When I was 11 I was copying Pushead art & Image Comics things. All I did was draw back in those times. Super-introvert til the 6th grade. Hung around the 'bad' kids and didn't get along with authority figures, but still I was pretty mellow.

• DJ Screw in a coloring book? I want to see this. Nxet level for sure.

the flipside to that screw pic is one of MOP....crazy....

• I'm still a kid, I mean when I was in 6th and 7th grade I spent all my money on CD's now I buy records instead, but really not much of a difference. I did think it was cool to smoke cigarettes, and I don't think so any more. I thought doing drugs made me cool and more of an adult, I know better now. Other than that I still feel like a kid, I own a house now and I am getting married but none of that has made me feel like an adult. It probably won???t sink in until the people that I have seen as adults my whole life start to die.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I guess I was an okay kid.

My 11-year-old niece on the other hand is crazy. She painted this for my sister's birthday:

Criminy. Right now, at age 30, I couldn't paint something even half this good if my life depended on it.

• I guess I was an okay kid.

Criminy. Right now, at age 30, I couldn't paint something even half this good if my life depended on it.

The kids got skills.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I used to draw 4 legs chickens as a boy. I was urban, I guess

• when i was 11, i wrote a book in 6th grade about a spoiled rich girl named Mary. one night she had a tantrum at dinner and threw her escargot plate at the wall.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

My 11-year-old niece on the other hand is crazy. She painted this for my sister's birthday

your niece is brilliant. truly.

dcastillo, peep this

• My parents thought I was autistic. Turns out im just weird.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    when i was 11, i wrote a book in 6th grade about a spoiled rich girl named Mary. one night she had a tantrum at dinner and threw her escargot plate at the wall. her mom gets fed up with the spoiled brat so she sends Mary to Compton to learn about the real world???. In the real world???, Mary witnesses crack use, gang violence, lazy cops, and prostitution. she learns her lesson and donates like a billion dollars to various inner-city programs and chairities.

Can I send my daughter to you for Audamn Summer Camp??? when she's old enough?

Seriously.

• Can I send my daughter to you for Audamn Summer Camp??? when she's old enough?

Seriously.

Dear Daddy-O,

Summer Camp is great! Today we learned to blow smoke rings. It was so cool! Next week, we're learning about tattoos in Crafts Class.

Gotta go--it's Hitchcock night!

Love,
    E

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    My father unearthed some of my old writings recently, all done between third and fifth grade. Here's transcript of a dream I had when I was eight:

We had a map of the town. We started out by seeing the hammer room. I wished for four leaf clovers that really gave good luck. they appeerd in the bowl in front of me. I took half gave the rest to Brandon. We saw a breakfast place. they had cereal and pop. I took rasin Bran and root beer. I saw that there was no place to sit. I couldn't find Brandon eather. I went to look for him. I saw some seats at a different part of the place. I sat down and went back to tell the other people. I got another root beer, forgetting I had one. my dad came and said get red of this water. he started to pour it out whe I said "stop thats my root beer I forgot!" He stoped and we left. I found Brandon out side waiting for me. my famliy left, me and Brandon set of for another place. we passed the camras. we went to the bed. then the white queen of cereals came and said Join us the cereal people. I yelled oh no cereal people and we both ran. we got past the hammer room and there they were again on the ice bridge. we ran back to the bed. I gave my four leaf clovers to Brandon so he could put them in a little pink glass jar. went over to the field, the Battle was ready.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Re: what kind of person were you as a kid?

I fit snug between That Kid Creeps Me Out and Least Likely to Live to 18.

Unlike my peers, my honors weren't helpful in college enrollment, but I was the only kid in my town to have 1) set the school on fire, 2) taken a dump on a teacher's desk, and 3) dropped acid through 80% of the school year.

(Hide your lunch money)

• Can I send my daughter to you for Audamn Summer Camp??? when she's old enough?

Seriously.

Dear Daddy-O,

Summer Camp is great! Today we learned to blow smoke rings. It was so cool! Next week, we're learning about tattoos in Crafts Class.

Gotta go--have to practice my Vincent Price impression[/b]

Love,
    E

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    namond from the wire really reminds me of my middle school years minus the corner job

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

My 11-year-old niece on the other hand is crazy. She painted this for my sister's birthday

your niece is brilliant. truly.

dcastillo, peep this

wow.

this will solve our bare refridgerator dilema.

• DJRELAXDJRELAX 452 Posts
    My father unearthed some of my old writings recently, all done between third and fifth grade. Here's transcript of a dream I had when I was eight:

We had a map of the town. We started out by seeing the hammer room. I wished for four leaf clovers that really gave good luck. they appeerd in the bowl in front of me. I took half gave the rest to Brandon. We saw a breakfast place. they had cereal and pop. I took rasin Bran and root beer. I saw that there was no place to sit. I couldn't find Brandon eather. I went to look for him. I saw some seats at a different part of the place. I sat down and went back to tell the other people. I got another root beer, forgetting I had one. my dad came and said get red of this water. he started to pour it out whe I said "stop thats my root beer I forgot!" He stoped and we left. I found Brandon out side waiting for me. my famliy left, me and Brandon set of for another place. we passed the camras. we went to the bed . then the white queen of cereals came and said Join us the cereal people. I yelled oh no cereal people and we both ran. we got past the hammer room and there they were again on the ice bridge. we ran back to the bed. I gave my four leaf clovers to Brandon so he could put them in a little pink glass jar. went over to the field, the Battle was ready.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Unlike my peers, my honors weren't helpful in college enrollment, but I was the only kid in my town to have 1) set the school on fire, 2) taken a dump on a teacher's desk, and 3) dropped acid through 80% of the school year.

I peed on my friend's Mom's car when she wouldn't let him come out to play. That's kind of the same right?

I also itemized and took written inventory of my Halloween Candy so that my Dad wouldn't steal any

When my parent's wouldn't let me have a cap gun @ five, I went out into the garage and made one.

I told my family physician that I wanted money and power somewhere around the age of 7. My parents started curtailing how much TV I watched.

I cheated in the Cubscout Pinewood derby and won. You guys are the first to know.

I sneezed in 5th grade and the snot flew three desks ahead of me and landed on Jennifer Ahlstrom's desk, my secret crush. The snot was still attached at the other end to my noze. I then became "snot boy" for the rest of the year.

I used to listen to the radio for hours and wait for one song so that I could tape it. I felt that I was "beating" the system by not having to buy it. I was especially happy when the DJ didn't talk over it. I seem to remember really fiending for Kool Moe Dees "Go See the Doctor".

PS Bambouche, you're my favorite psychopath right about now (next to my wife, of course ).