rep your local museum experience

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
my favorite local museum is the de Youngit's in golden gate parkit has this awesome observation towerfor overlooking golden gate parkthere's a giant Olmec headand some other awesome stuff and a really nice chicano exhibit that i wasn't allowed to take pictures ini wish we had a museum here that housed knight armor and weapons from the middle ages and/or a natural history one with crazy insects. chicago and new york are lucky

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    de young is nice.

we just saw the most amazing local show of retarded people art. It was un-fucking-real. there was a painting of (a black) van gogh with Gladys Knight that I think will forever set the bar as far as art goes, as far as I'm concerned , from now on. but I guess that was technically a gallery, not a museam.

the new ghetty fucking sucks!

• In LA there is this museum that is a trip. It's called the museum of jurassic technology. The first time I went there for a school thing, I ended up getting stoned beforehand and I think it's the only way to understand their exhibits.

-extremely small sculptures of random things (disney characters, famous people) done in the eye of a needle.

-extremely small collages done with the segments of butterfly wings

-small scale models of trailor parks

-randomly spinning bells

-long hallways with random sounds playing from hidden speakers and buttons on the wall that, if pressed, spray different smells (cinnamon, perfume, vanilla, all smell like they're wayyyyyy past being expiration dates for freshness)

-various old remedies to certain ailments

-and other stuff too, the lights are way dim throughout and I got lost about a million times.

-the second story is a russian tea house that plays old grainy black and white russian propaganda movies in a dark theatre.

If you go, you'll have about 30 serious WTF???? moments.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    In LA there is this museum that is a trip. It's called the museum of jurassic technology.

there's a great book about it. I've not been, but I might have ta when I'm in LA next month.

• It's no longer open, but Minneapolis was once home to the Museum of Questionable Medical Devices

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Portland doesn't have anything like the de Young, but we do have the Stark Vacuum Museum:
    http://www.starks.com/aboutus_thevacuummuseum.php

Worth pulling over and getting out of the car.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    In LA there is this museum that is a trip. It's called the museum of jurassic technology.

there's a great book about it. I've not been, but I might have ta when I'm in LA next month.

I used to live just around the corner from that place. Would pass it on the way to my walk to In-N-Out Burger and ponder the potential meaning of Jurassic Technology, until I finally had to go inside. Yeah, herb can be key.

The last museum I went to was the Met in NYC for the Van Gogh sketches exhibit. That was pretty great. My favorite permanent exhibit at that museum, aside from the armor mentioned above (I especially like the swords and knives, being a chef), is actually the furniture. The woodwork and craftsmanship is sublime. So is their AC on a sweltering summer day.

I haven't been to that museum in SF, but should plan to go, now that I'm an hour outside the Bay.

• de young is nice.

we just saw the most amazing local show of retarded people art. It was un-fucking-real. there was a painting of (a black) van gogh with Gladys Knight that I think will forever set the bar as far as art goes, as far as I'm concerned , from now on. but I guess that was technically a gallery, not a museam.

the new ghetty fucking sucks!

When I live in Rome I wondered into a similar type of show in the middle of a little square. It was one of the coolest art shows I have ever seen. Some really wild stuff and a lot of really proud parents and kids.

Ms Damn if you want to see armor and what not the philadelphia art museum has a nice collection, but I am sure there is something one the west coast with the same type of stuff.

I do miss the philadelphia art museum, the Virgnia Museum of Fine Art is alright, but it doesn't have the you can get lost in there vibe of the philly museum.

• P9220045.jpg [/quote">
    I love that part of the museum. It has these woodcut prints from this dude from the early 1900's. It looks like a comic book...straight up. There are like 25 or so in a row and you can't help but create a story to go along with it. I took a pic of one

a href="http://photobucket.com/]Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

• No doubt, I love those drawings. All chaotic and hectic violence.

I like the building itself.

P9220052.jpg
    P9220046.jpg
    P9220051.jpg

• ^^^AWESOME

• for 25 years

+

+

+

i miss them

now =

first fridays of each month