Paul's Boutique 8 Panel Gatefold ??

GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
This book says that the first 50000 lps were pressed with an 8 panel gatefold.Is this true? Do you have one or have you seen it? Do they go for loot now?I'll buy yours if you want to sell it.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I don't know how many were pressed with 8 panel, but I have one. It's cool, but not as stellar as it sounds. PM me, the asterisk is I have to find it.
    Peace
    T.N.

• Grand Royal reissued the album on double vinyl with the double gatefold if you'd prefer it in such a form.

• This record is a pain in the ass to play out because of the goddamned gatefold...I need to just stick the records in some 12" sleeves for this. Good thing I only drag it out for weddings and parties Im hired for.

• pknypkny 549 Posts

This book says that the first 50000 lps were pressed with an 8 panel gatefold.

Is this true? Do you have one or have you seen it? Do they go for loot now?

I've never seen a non-gatefold of this, so I'd hazard a guess that they pressed up 50,000 of the gatefold when the album dropped. Has anyone ever seen a non-gatefold version of PB, OG or not?

• I also keep the record seperate and the the double gatefold is fine to decorate the wall...

• This book says that the first 50000 lps were pressed with an 8 panel gatefold.

I've never seen a non-gatefold of this, so I'd hazard a guess that they pressed up 50,000 of the gatefold when the album dropped. Has anyone ever seen a non-gatefold version of PB, OG or not?

there is also a reissue/pressing with a simple gatefold cover. Ive never seen non-gatefold copies.

• This was a great read.

I never knew that the original title for "License To Ill" was "Don't Be a Faggot"!

• This record is a pain in the ass to play out because of the goddamned gatefold...

that and the levels are mad quiet.

Beasties do this thing alot - PB first pressing was the double gatefold with 8 panels, then all the other pressings were regular single gatefold

Ill Communication had a very limited promo/initial pressing on green vinyl, and Hello Nasty had a similar initial/promo pressing on yellow vinyl.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    speaking of the beastie boys, has anyone ever seen the License to Ill promo video?
    there's a backstage party scene that is fuckin crazy. those dudes were wild!!! they were smashing up the room with full cans of beer, and doing whippits. then the girls enter the room. WHHOOO!! honey whip cream beer public enemy blasting. doin whatever they wanted to these young broads. actually pretty shocking.

• I never knew that the original title for "License To Ill" was "Don't Be a Faggot"!

You know, back in the day (20 years ago? Yikes.) when they first played "Fight For Your Right" on the radio I heard something odd one time. The song kicked in with "YEAHHHH!!! *duh-duhhhhh*" and after that guitar stab these two redneck dudes said "Don't be a faggot, man", and then the song kicked in... "KICK IT!!". I was baffled by that at the time, but later on I heard the original title was going to be "Don't Be A Faggot" so for all these years I've wondered if this was just something the local radio station did or what. Seems like it couldn't just be coincidental that they said that phrase but I've certainly never heard of any promos of the song that had that or anything.

• This was a great read.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

This book says that the first 50000 lps were pressed with an 8 panel gatefold.

there is also a reissue/pressing with a simple gatefold cover. Ive never seen non-gatefold copies.

my friend has a one-disc, normal sleeve copy. i think its from the UK but its definitely from 1989 or so.

i always meant to steal it from him, thats what good friends do right? he found it at a local music (as in instruments and dj equipment) shop alongside a bunch of UBB's.

• Grand Royal reissued the album on double vinyl with the double gatefold if you'd prefer it in such a form.

yeah theres the og capitol double-double, and in 2000 GR re-did it the same way. the capitol one can be a little $$. i have an uncut unfolded grand royal cover, its a huge piece of cardboard, been meaning to get it framed or something.

• I never knew that the original title for "License To Ill" was "Don't Be a Faggot"!

You know, back in the day (20 years ago? Yikes.) when they first played "Fight For Your Right" on the radio I heard something odd one time. The song kicked in with "YEAHHHH!!! *duh-duhhhhh*" and after that guitar stab these two redneck dudes said "Don't be a faggot, man", and then the song kicked in... "KICK IT!!". I was baffled by that at the time, but later on I heard the original title was going to be "Don't Be A Faggot" so for all these years I've wondered if this was just something the local radio station did or what. Seems like it couldn't just be coincidental that they said that phrase but I've certainly never heard of any promos of the song that had that or anything.

I have an alternate version with an extra verse but still no 'Don't be a faggot' intro.

• Who was it that posted those Paul's Boutique demos a while back? Many thanks. Those are awesome. The alternate lyrics to "Car Thief" crack me up.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ive got a 16 panel gatefold that connects and becomes real pannoramic like..............

• That's the ticket!