Day(s) in the Life of B-Boys (Girls)-Nostalgia

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Hey Y'all,My last post in the "Al Green" thread made me think about those days in my life of a b-boy. These memories come from around 1988-1989. I'd get of out school (college) for the week, then b-line over to my man Jack M's crib (dancer and barber in the Born Supreme Productions [BSP]crew). He'd tighten up my high-top (Nefertiti) while we blast my latest tape full of beats. We'd discuss our plans for the weekend. After the cut, we'd jet out to Scotchman's to grab some Ole' Golds (40oz) and White Owls. Then, we'd sit around blastin' beats, demos, or hip-hop of the day (e.g., "Take a Look Around", "Long Live the Kane", etc.). Then, members of the crew would start poppin' in like Jack's brother Jermaine (cat with the fat sacks and hypeman), Keith (MC of BSP), Don (the DJ), Will (the enforcer; one-punch knockout power when the beef started), Boo (RIP; cool cat that hung with us), Larry (Rhythmatrix on the beat from another group around the way), and so on. Everybody would come through with brews, then we'd drank, smoke out, and bust rhymes. Later in the night, we'd jet off to the 401 Club and get our party on, and meet some chicks. Then, on the way home, we'd stop by the all night Hardee's to take care of the munchies, game on more chicks, and occasionally stomp out heads of cats that started shit. Sometimes, we'd hook up with chicks at Hardee's and take 'em back to Jack & Jermaine's pad to do "that". Those were some wild times.Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Now that's what I call high quality reminiscing. Makes those of us who were born in the 80s regret it.

occasionally stomp out heads of cats that started shit.

Need I say it...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo,

There aren't any old-school, b-boy heads up in here? Where you at, Phill Most Chill and my other OG's? I know you have some stories. How did y'all get down?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Yo,

There aren't any old-school, b-boy heads up in here? Where you at, Phill Most Chill and my other OG's? I know you have some stories. How did y'all get down?

I'm too dam old to remember, homeboy.

All them dam old school pics I posted awhile back tell my story better than any of my words can. You need to post up some of your late 80's flicks with the high top fade and biker shorts, Stacks!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Circa 1983-86

Ironing my fat-laces, carrying White Shoe Polish for my Shell-Toes/etc.

Seeing doubles of the multi-colored Frisco Disco 12" on some truntables.

Goin to Franz Sigal Park to check the local One Light Bulb Jam.

When the new Yankee Stadium is now located there used to be a running track - every summer the Dreads would play soccer in the day and then set up massive speakers.

Goin to the Ghetto Amusement park behind the old stadium and seein Walter Berry in some custom made Louis Vuitton Bally's.

The WBLS van playin at the Concourse Village Anniv jam. Doctor Ice shows up and freestyles for the kids. Roxanne's Little Sister performs her single.DooDoo.

My hood goin over to battle the Dirt Masters in their courtyard. The crew finnaly let my boy on the mic who help swing the battle to our advantage.

Troopin w/ Sam (who had the big ass Box) thru nearby hoods and having volume battles.

Up in the Sweet Spot Arcade/Bodega/Numbers spot and rockin pinball and video.

Winning Beatbox battles in my hood.

"Hey Light-Skinned!!!"

First w/ the High flat-top in my hood - cats were jockin. I went to Astor Place Hair Joint w/ my girlfriend (86). Shit was not the fade steez. Str8 Flat-Top.

Getting convinced to get a Shag(85) by Robynn an older school-mate.

Local Grafitti Competition - Tag wars and shit. Opening a Blue Master and adding Silver Ink creating a swirl steez that dudes envied.

The first cat in my Fifth Grade Class to cop some British Walkers - the shoe.
    Not the sneaker bullshit that came out in the later 80's. The shoe was some real street shit. I begged my moms for a pair. I was never a spoiled kid but my mom hooked my cred up. (79/80).

Watchin my boy cut up "LL Cool Jay Is Hard As Hell....", "LL Cool Jay....",
    "LL...LL....LL...LL...LL....LL....." OHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-DIP!!!!
    Dude called me upstairs - "Yo D, Check this shit out!"

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts

ha, i remember standing on a shaky bus on Fordham Road in 1984 and barely stepping on a guys toe. his friends go "ohhhhhhh!" as i scuffed his new shocking white kicks. he starts steaming and not to get all white flight on you, but i'm f*cking 8 and wondering what's coming next. ended up he whipped out the toothbrush and the polish.

i tell people that story today -- they think it's not true and i took it from Do the Right Thing. wonder if it was you on that bus.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

ha, i remember standing on a shaky bus on Fordham Road in 1984 and barely stepping on a guys toe. his friends go "ohhhhhhh!" as i scuffed his new shocking white kicks. he starts steaming and not to get all white flight on you, but i'm f*cking 8 and wondering what's coming next. ended up he whipped out the toothbrush and the polish.

i tell people that story today -- they think it's not true and i took it from Do the Right Thing. wonder if it was you on that bus.

haha..

I woulda you and yo parents!!!!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I think I'm too young to reminisce anything really.. But I do miss fulltime dancing.

Going to the airport and being hype just by seeing all that CARPET!

Linking up with 30 dudes to battle in the mall.
    Getting carried away by mall security.

Flirting with every girl at every house party.
    Getting into big fistfights at house partys.

One time we went to a dancing event at a church and then it turned out to be an actual sermon at church and they were just lying about the dancing event to convert us heathen bboys.

$15 Walmart shoes.

Getting angry at DJ's who would hide the names of the songs they were playing.

- spidey