ABDULLAH SAMI "PEACE OF TIME" lp 1977 free jazz

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Anybody know anything about this particular private press record out of Chicago? I saw a copy on popsike that sold for $100 but it had a properly printed cover and all. This one that I found buried deep in my collection has what looks like may be a hand-written jacket. And the pic on the front cover... was cut out and glued onto the jacket. I've had this record so long that I forgot all about it, but I always wondered what the story was. Sorry I couldn't get a clear pic of the label for some reason, but this is what it looks like- I know one of y'all great collectros can tell me something about this one. Like, is this version with the homemade jacket worth more than the professionally printed one? (that's all I really care about, the monetary value... I don't even like music very much, let alone free jazz )Any help would be a boon to mankind. We are eternally in your debt.

Comments

• Hey Phil, yah I have that one. It's a late 70s indie jazz thing out of NYC. Nobody knows that much about Sami.

There are as many covers as these guys had time to paste together..... I've seen some that are a 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper pasted on the front, and some that are cut-outs like yours. Mine just has pen with the artist & title. I had a japanese dealer tell me there were two pressings, and the second pressing had a red cover, but I don't know for sure.

Offhand a bill sounds about right if it's in good shape. Maybe more on a good day, or less on a bad one. It's pretty unknown so who knows, but it's def got that look that's really popular with the "spiritual" jazz buyers.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    wow, that looks killer, how is it overall?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I remember listening to this lp at a Chicago record store in the vicinity of Midway airport - it was being 'held' for a strutter with the initials DC( "he likes that weird stuff")

the title 'African Samba' was promising, but didn't deliver.

---

• I remember listening to this lp at a Chicago record store in the vicinity of Midway airport - it was being 'held' for a strutter with the initials DC( "he likes that weird stuff")

the title 'African Samba' was promising, but didn't deliver.

Yeah it's just okay. I would never sell my copy, but this sort of thing is really my shit.

The guitar is not for everybody. It's not delicate and gorgeous jazz, nor wild & wooly freeness. A weird middle ground, and not in a good way.