Dewey Redman R.I.P.

SonicReducerSonicReducer 421 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/news.php?id=10988 Dewey Redman, an Enduring Original, 1931-2006Posted: 2006-09-03 Dewey Redman once described himself as a ???survivor.??? He survived criticism of the ???free??? music he played with Ornette Coleman in the late 60s, well before the jazz public was ready for the unusual harmonies of what was then known as ???avant garde.??? He survived prostate cancer (diagnosed in the late 1990s), coming back to perform and record in the 21st century, playing into his 70s and outliving, outplaying many of his early cohorts. And he survived a fair amount of oversight, these days known more as the father of saxophonist Joshua Redman--despite his years as a singular artist with a very different style than his offspring. Dewey passed away on September 2nd at age 75 following a massive stroke. Probably his music will finally receive the level of recognition it always deserved. Growing up in the 1930s in Ft. Worth, Texas, Dewey heard Duke Ellington on his parents' records. He also traces his musical inclinations to a man he later realized was most likely his uncle, the great bandleader Don Redman, whom he never met. At first he sought trumpet lessons, ???because it had three keys. I figured I could work that out.??? However, he was discouraged when the school music teacher told him ???your lips are too big.??? Instead, Dewey started out on clarinet in a church band at 13 and later played in his high school marching band with another young musician named Ornette Coleman. He was largely self taught, having ???learned by trial and error and watching other saxophone players do what I do and asking them questions. That's the best lessons in the world.??? Redman played alto and tenor in his college jazz band at Prairie View A & M, finally settling on the tenor. After a stint in the Army and years of teaching music while gigging on weekends, he moved to California in 1959, working with Pharoah Sanders and Wes Montgomery around the Bay Area; he moved to New York in the late 60s where he became a part of the avant garde scene with old pal Ornette Coleman. In addition to his work with Coleman, he displayed a talent for adapting to a wide range of styles, playing with Old and New Dreams (Don Cherry, Charlie Haden and Ed Blackwell), Pat Metheny, Keith Jarrett, Carla Bley, and Haden's Liberation Orchestra, and leading his own ensembles. ???I like to play it all-styles as far as I can, because in my band we are playing the so-called avant-garde, a little be-bop, ballads, blues. I also play the musette... it comes from the Middle East. I try to do a variety of styles, because one style bores me.??? Redman was a more popular performer in Europe than in the U.S., noting that ???I especially like to play in Europe, because the appreciation for jazz is much greater than it is in America outside of New York, New Orleans and Chicago. America is not as great for me as Europe.??? Free or bop and everything in-between, Dewey released more than a dozen recordings under his own name, and twice recorded with son Joshua on Coincides and African Venus. Last spring, Redman celebrated his 75th as part of the SF Jazz season (directed by son Joshua) in San Francisco, performing with a quartet anchored by Twin Cities' giants Gordon Johnson (bass) and Phil Hey (drums), with Frank Kimbrough on keys. He reconnected with Johnson and Hey at the Twin Cities' Hot Summer Jazz Festival in June. Noted Phil Hey, ???He was a great artist and a very cool guy. I never met anyone who loved music more.??? Dewey Redman was one of the last of the great ???Texas Tenors,??? but perhaps more than any other, had a sound that defied classification, a style that was free yet melodic, beyond mainstream yet always accessible. It was a sound that, like Dewey himself, endured despite the ever-changing norms of the jazz audience. ???What I reach for first when I play is sound. Technique maybe, but there is technique in sound???--Dewey Redman

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    R.I.P.

Another great one has left us.

LOOK FOR THE BLACK STAR!

1966! So way ahead.

So many great records! Never saw him live.

Lately, I've been into the stuff he did with Ornette. As much as I love the Atlantic stuff and Don Cherry, I love these two saxes sound up against the Coltrane rhythm section.

I think people sleep on Dewey's stuff with Old and New Dreams and Kieth Jarrett.

wah wah

• NO... shit.... For all the BYG players who were over-recorded, he was one who was probably under-recorded. I always liked his style.

• Look for the black star is heavy shit. I'm a gonna put that on now.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    R.I.P.

• R.I.P.

Sad news, ear of the behearer is a favorite.