*WEEKDAY FINDS*--Peruvian report

pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
These country appreciation posts got me thinking about my time in PeruThis summer i returned to peru for the third time to work with the kids at the "taller" (Peruvian NGO shantytown community center) and had a special mission to assure the links between our partner NGO and a group of medschool students from my universityWork wise things went great...the med group coupled with peruvian doctors ran a child health clinic treating the youngest of our kindergarden kids and performing family medicineOrganizing all that and being the "agento de aglace" was pretty hard work...no sleep in sight..however partying with old friends, amazing concerts (this one pianist was combinig salsa patterns with classical bass keys in a latin jazz freakout) and incredibly good and cheap food made up for it ceviche (freshest raw fish salad salivatingly good) Anticuchos (Cow Heart bbq grills) working with the kids as always remained the best part I loved seing the renovations to the center Jader the music teacher we hired last year was working wonders with the kids Showing them how to build their own zamponia and teaching them andean music He threw a concert with the cahoncito percussion kids and they were straight We had a chance to take the kids out of the bario for a 3 day beach campout Campfire style I was living in a empty appt this dude and his friend were artisan friends of our (parcheros) that were straight up reggae heads (i went to a garage/reggae conert in their barrio and it was crazy)pay attention to those purple cubes we are sitting on they were part of a crazy adventure where the soulstrut community litterally saved my life...**************************************************PERO QUE TAL CON LOS DISCOS, concha su madre!!!!************************************************** oh yes indeed i did get some digging done some of you may remember my first peru post talking about my salsero friend who took me to a dig spot...well ireturned there and scored big...their was a lot of dusty as boxes to check through and i went through a lot with some really helpful dealers i love peru and negotitating purchases, and got great deals cause i was buying truckloads of stuff, i randomnly found amazing stuff in the middle of a lot of mierda and the condition was great..there was this more uptight dealer..but i did not minf paying a little more for the quality of stuff i gotBrazilian Chico Buarque and Joao are simply beautiful which was to be expected that bossa title that did not look like much is surprisingly solid bossa with a great orchestra...i am loving the Maysa recording and that augosthinho has that same music hall recording vibe to it great samba comps, jair live performance (such a great voice/presence), bebeto discoey stuff, Dona Xepa= som livre sdtrk to a soap opera, brazil beat = percussion record Fania/Salsa Orchestra HarlowThat tribute to Arsenio rodriguez continued my streak of finding special Fania vinyllast year it was this year it was Willie Colon Jhonny y Celia Fania Justo Betancourt is great pura salsa, i was really surpirsed by the upper one, Pete Conde (the middle al green esque guy) has some amazingly produced boleros and a hilarious title to boot (Ese negro si es sabroso), fania tribute is solid and strong orchestra instrumentals and the three flutes is coolVarious That psychedelic gran combo is on red vynil and the first track to the orange oscar de leon . The isamel rivera on Tico is another amazing album found for cheapLike these All in great condition.. ive been playing viva tirado in my smoke breaks and dreaming of the other manolo gas i left behind (puta madre!)Group salsa Hector Lavoe/Ray Baretto/Joe Arroyo Both Barettos are great the one with the drawn cover surprised me in a great way.. cant go wrong with arroyo even the later stuffSalsa comps Various Afro cuban jazz niceness, bongo percussion with good horns, that johnny ventura has a merengue track...instrumental merengue... i didnt even know there was more to merengue than the stuff on the radio...i now understand the origins of that speedy rythm (ill post that track mas tarde)In peru i had a chance to learn a lot about the criollo culture (afroperuvian) this festejo record came highly recommended and was amazing Really happy to pick these up (so cheap... so clean) The Antonio prieto is great jazz with nice vocalsTalking about jazz i was surprised at the american jazz i picked up and funk/soul like this i
s always nice I even had some waxidermy esque oddball finds oldschool breakbeats, italian pianist, Hyman classic, savage terd and japanese video disc for my wallWhen i picked up that Latin Love machine..a guy eating a sandwhich looking through crates of boleros came up to me and started chatting...he told me he had a friend who wanted to get rid of a collection and gave me his cellphone number...This was the beggining of an event that was going to bring the strut community in my life..it was only aftewards that i made the connections (its all in the threads!)you see i wrote a little post after my day of digging and as you can see the Non PMed mehe said to look out for a record so i thought maybe this dude could have itIwas alone at the appt having trouble packing my records (traveling backpacks arent great for carrying records) and i packed a ghetto duffel bag full of records..i took the knife to those purple styromousse cubes and used it for padding...i was finishing up my little package when someone rang at the door...It was record guy...I opened up la puerta and then he just stormed in pushing me to the ground... I was on the floor and took a quick snap shot of him... I was being robbed for sure..he immediately left out the front door..I thought maybe i had been involved in a rape/kidnapping attempt...but then i checked the snap shot and i Understood... it all maked sensethe non PM, that face...that graemlin...I had found the grail of SS grails...something a man asks ponders on profoundly in the states and another man inadvertably discovers in the other hemispherean african originated cultural blend resulting in a special record related artifact this was what i saw the famous afreaka mask grail along with a cahon as my non rr finds.... bidding for this will begin shortlyno seriously i had an amazing time in peru and thank you for reading this whole thing all the way throughclick on the following pics to learn more about my project or to look at some other nice pics buenas noches

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS[/b]

PS Did you find that shiz?

• Awesome post, thanks for sharing all those flicks!

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I had no idea that Sababadaba released a record, but Afreaka Mask man is holding it. NICE!

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    That EL Sabor de Nacho record is a great find. The track "Sanson Batalla" is real ill and falls under the category of "I'm the toughest dude in the hood" songs. Nacho shouts out all barrios of San Juan, so close to home.
    Looks like you had a great trip! Your work and dedication to those kids is highly admirable!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Great pics--thanks for sharing, and respect for the work that you are doing.

• Great pics--thanks for sharing, and respect for the work that you are doing.

Co-firma.

I work for Peru's largest (and according to some, sole?) corporation. We have scholarship and educational grant programs for underprivileged girls and women throughout Latin America. Maybe you should holler at my higher-ups--they might be able to work with your organization? Feel free to PM me.

Oh, and that ceviche pic is taking me back! With a cold Cusque??a, porfa.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Great pics--thanks for sharing, and respect for the work that you are doing.

Co-firma.

I work for Peru's largest (and according to some, sole?) corporation. We have scholarship and educational grant programs for underprivileged girls and women throughout Latin America. Maybe you should holler at my higher-ups--they might be able to work with your organization? Feel free to PM me.

Oh, and that ceviche pic is taking me back! With a cold Cusque??a, porfa.

Wow, a great look

Ill definetly be in touch
    I love how destiny has a way of working and i want a cebivhe ahorita

• some reissue cops that arrived today...

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    A big for that post.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    wow
    karma works quickly,and you are a real intrepid traveler
    good work,noice records,you deserve them and the mask
    rey can suck ebay fumes

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    not even touching pcmr's stuff, but figured this was the closest thread and deserved a bump...

$1 each
    LP's[/b]

L.T.D. - Love To The World

Don Thompson - Fanny Brown (Hi Thes!)

45's[/b]

The Chubukos - House of the Rising Funk

Lou Rawls - You've Made Me So Very Happy

Stevie Wonder - Hey Love ($3)

James Brown - Bring It Up ($4)