La Murga de Panama?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
I admit ignorance - until Matthew Africa put this on last night at my farewwell gig, I had never heard Colon/Lavoe's "La Murga" in its entirety before. I'm a little confused: which album(s) is this song on?

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I can't remember the title, but it's originally on a Christmas LP. You can also find it on a greatest hits LP.

I love that song. (It was sampled on one of the Lyricist Lounge cuts. I think it was the KRS/Zach De La Rocha song.)

Herm

P.S. What ever happened to Zach De La Rocha?!

• O, glad you liked it. You need or want an mp3?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Mongo,

Great set last night - I really enjoyed it.

I have an MP3 of it, thanks. Just trying to track down the O.G. since I'm still wed to vinyl. Despite the 70 crates of it I have to unpack this week

(damn, maybe you're right about this serato shit)

O, glad you liked it. You need or want an mp3?

I know the question wasn't directed towards me, but I'd like an mp3 if you have it handy. It would save me the trouble of ripping it myself.

Thanks!

Herm

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    By the way M****** - I had never really listened to "Water Get No Enemy" from end to end until last night. I'm obsessed with it now. It's amazing how some songs just slip past you until you hear it in a different context and then it sounds like the greatest fucking thing ever.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i just found that christmas fania lp and i think the panama is on it..amazing song..also check out hector s version with tito puente

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Alli esta

La Murga

"porque no habia mujeres, ni que tomar..."

• I had never really listened to "Water Get No Enemy" from end to end until last night. I'm obsessed with it now. It's amazing how some songs just slip past you until you hear it in a different context and then it sounds likeyou realize[/b] that it's greatest fucking thing ever.

• ZuffNomedZuffNomed 42 Posts
    It's on both Asalto & "Willie".

• O, glad you liked it. You need or want an mp3?

I know the question wasn't directed towards me, but I'd like an mp3 if you have it handy. It would save me the trouble of ripping it myself.

Thanks!

Herm

No problem. Enjoy.

O, glad you liked it. You need or want an mp3?

Thanks!

Herm

No problem. Enjoy.

Thanks!!!

• ZuffNomedZuffNomed 42 Posts

I love that song. (It was sampled on one of the Lyricist Lounge cuts. I think it was the KRS/Zach De La Rocha song.)

I wanna say they used the Cal Tjader version, not Willie's.
    (been a while since I heard it)

peace.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    la murga and water get no enemy are two of my favorite songs period. i almost equate the two in my mind. definitely something about horns like that does it for me. s.o.u.l peace of mind type horns. almost made me want to buy a trombone last month at a flea market

most puerto ricans i know recognized la murga instantly when i do my low budget rahzel impersonation of the horn riff

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    tripledouble said:

most puerto ricans i know recognized la murga instantly when i do my low budget rahzel impersonation of the horn riff

hood barrio classique

I remember I bought some ratchet ass "Greatest Salsa Hits" cassette at a Harlem tape stall when I first got here in '95, that was on it along with stuff like "El Cantante" "El Dia De Mi Suerte" and "Calle Luna, Calle Sol"... All super old head jams. Now that I think about it, seems like dude just had a couple of Hector Lavoe records to make the tape.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    La Voz!
    and dont forget la Lupe!
    i feel like i knew about them before i even heard their music
    theyre like puerto rican patron saints

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Reynaldo said:

aha, that is Juancho Vargas under there with some violins over the top.

http://www.divshare.com/download/17397887-a64

PS: Divshare needs to go off and die already.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I'd love to see a list of all the covers of this track, which I'm guessing is in the hundreds!