6-plus inches in a box of records

JRootJRoot 861 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
I have placed all of my twelve-inch records into packing boxes, the likes of which were formerly improved upon by the Dean of Castlevania during his beat with the box making boys. Upon reaching the last box, which houses Soul from Vandross to Zapp, all of country, and some other random layarounds, I find that I've got about 6.5 inches of spare space in the box. What can I put into this space? What can't I put into this space?Soulstrut, I need you now and I know you know.CDs?Books?Magazines?JRoot

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I have placed all of my twelve-inch records into packing boxes, the likes of which were formerly improved upon by the Dean of Castlevania during his beat with the box making boys. Upon reaching the last box, which houses Soul from Vandross to Zapp, all of country, and some other random layarounds, I find that I've got about 6.5 inches of spare space in the box.

What can I put into this space? What can't I put into this space?

Soulstrut, I need you now and I know you know.

CDs?
    Books?
    Magazines?
    JRoot

throw pillow

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Soul from Vandross to Zapp

Isn't that a Ricky Vincent book?

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    throw pillow

This might work, but I'm not sure if our plush throws will squeeze down that small.

Free packing tip: Do NOT use throw pillows to separate your large terra cotta pots. Even though you've taken out the gorgeous greenery, cleaned and dried those pots, they still have moisture INSIDE them, which your throw pillows will wick up like Jinx does to sweet soul bay area 45s. If they are there for more than 24 hours, you will have a set of moldy throw pillows. File under experiences not to repeat from the last move.

Throw pillow back,
    JRoot

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

BOOIIIIIINNNGGG!

bermp-chick-a-bermp...

Owww!

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

Actually, it's the fourth quarter of the year-long course he teaches on sample spotting. He should turn it into a book though.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I have placed all of my twelve-inch records into packing boxes, the likes of which were formerly improved upon by the Dean of Castlevania during his beat with the box making boys. Upon reaching the last box, which houses Soul from Vandross to Zapp, all of country, and some other random layarounds, I find that I've got about 6.5 inches of spare space in the box.

What can I put into this space? What can't I put into this space?

Soulstrut, I need you now and I know you know.

CDs?
    Books?
    Magazines?
    JRoot

i had a similar situation when i moved last. i put a few layers of cardboard against the end records as bookends, and then put random stuff like books and small boxes in the remaining area. if you're worried about heat at all, i suggest putting something against those end records to keep them straight.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    well, you want the weight of the box to be evenly distributed, so I would have something equally, or almost as equally heavy as 6.5" of records.

some options:

1) throw in a 45 box
    2) books, books, more books. preferably oversized art books.
    3) Four 3" wide 3-ring binders, alternating and a TV guide.
    3) go purchase a ton of records

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    go purchase a ton of records

The universal solvent.

Actually, I'm dumping a bunch of LPs (Lenny Dee? The Association? How did this shit come into my posession?) if you need ballast.

• I used to throw my 'black books' in there (artsy fool) to bridge the gapp.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    well, you want the weight of the box to be evenly distributed, so I would have something equally, or almost as equally heavy as 6.5" of records.

This is that scientifick box beating tricknology. The solution I employed, informed by these suggestions, was to divide the records into two halves and leave the gap in the middle of the box. Into this gap went surplus paper sleeves (25-50) on either end of the records to add a little protection, a record sized photo album, and my stack of Ego Trip, Life Sucks Die, Big Daddy, and Grand Slam back issues which are housed in a hard case (it's like a little file cabinet for magazines). On top of the back issues (they didn't go the whole way up) went surplus plastic LP sleeves and a few smaller books that weren't but could have been made to measure.

Throw pillows are saved for future moving needs. Or pillow fights with pop tarts.

Thanks,
    JRoot

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    bridge the gapp.

Oh shit!

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Is this issue really worthy of a post on SoulStrut?

In the time it took you to type out a question asking how to fill the space, you could have filled the space with random shit, drank a 40 and got laid.