NEW WAVE/PUNK FONK?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Besides Cameo and Rick James, can y'all name some FUNK bands that dipped into this short lived "sub-style"?I wouldnt put Fishbone in there cause I wouldnt classify them as a FUNK band. Correct me if I'm wrong.Add On -

Comments

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    OMG red hot chili peppers to thread.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Infectious Grooves!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Not really a "funk" band, but a funky LP from a band that came from the L.A. punk scene, The Red Hot Chili Peppers "Freaky Styley." This LP was produced by George Clinton and recorded in Detroit. This was their second LP with the original members. Dope horn section and signiture Clinton vocal arragements on many of the tracks. By far the best album by the Chili Peppers.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I'd prefer a "straight out" Funk Bands that dabbles then returns to pure funk. Cats had to be influenced by Rick James' stuff. Those funkpunk fusion bands im on the fence about. Feel free to correct me.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    maybe:

Dazz Band
    ConFunkShun
    Ozone

Seems like a lot of the larger funk bands of that era incorporated just a little bit of Rock/New Wave in the early 80s.

SG

maybe:

Dazz Band
    ConFunkShun
    Ozone

Seems like a lot of the larger funk bands of that era incorporated just a little bit of Rock/New Wave in the early 80s.

SG

Bill Summers/Summers Heat maybe?

maybe:

Dazz Band
    ConFunkShun
    Ozone

SG

Bill Summers/Summers Heat maybe?

Yeh, I remember reading on some website on this very topic mentioning that "Seventeen" LP as an example.

SG

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    What about bands like ESG and A CERTAIN RATIO? Do these bands fall into this category? I always thought they were superfunky, yet punk enough...

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

Pure heat.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    will play this tonight

What's the word and what year is this shit.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

Too lazy to dig it out but I think this is early-mid 80's. If you dont' know Warp 9, check it out. This is some ill electro funk.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    http://www.discogs.com/artist/Warp+9

Really dope electro funk group. "Nunk" came out in 81.

"Light Years Away" was their biggest jam.

Electro heads stand up!

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Warp+9

Really dope electro funk group. "Nunk" came out in 81.

"Light Years Away" was their biggest jam.

Electro heads stand up!

Electro is that shit no doubt but I wouldnt place it next to..........

What does early Nona Hendryx sound like? I only own the joint w/ Transformation?
    Laswell/Material shit?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Here you go Batmon....

Warp 9 - "Light years away"

[

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    What does early Nona Hendryx sound like? I only own the joint w/ Transformation?
    Laswell/Material shit?

this particular album here (from 1977) isn't punk or new wave sounding at all, but it is rock. matter of fact, considering her image as a maverick, this elpee actually sounds rather mainstream.

now as far as new wavish funk, don't bypass those three albums that rockwell did for motown (yes, the same guy that did "somebody's watching me").

theres another good punk-funk lp on motown...the self-titled album by kagny & the dirty rats

That's cool but that really referencing Hip Hop moreso than DYI dirty musician driven stuff.

• What's the word and what year is this shit.

Here you go Batmon....

Warp 9 - "Light years away" MP3

[url=http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti

after reading this post i dug out the 12 inch for that song and put it on, the b-side has a nice instrumental dub of it that's all drums/percussion by Jellybean

Anyone ever hear the Sylvers BIZARRE lp? Isnt this new wave R&B? I imagine its somethin like Shalamar's later efforts.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Anyone ever hear the Sylvers BIZARRE lp? Isnt this new wave R&B? I imagine its somethin like Shalamar's later efforts.

Quite a few Solar acts seemed to dabble in this style in the early 80's - Collage's "Get In Touch" album definitely has a couple of joints with that new wave R&B/punk funk sound, and I think Midnight Star & Klymaxx may have had a crack at it as well. I don't recall any of them being particularly successful, though, either commercially or artistically.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts

Being very slowly pulling this down via the magic of slsk. So can't comment on any other acts besides Defunkt.

Defunkt have been a fave of mine for ages. Everything up to and including "Crisis" is listenable for me. But the early stuff like "Make Them Dance", "Razor's Edge" and "In The Good Times" is my schit. I think you can get all of these on the "Avoid The Funk" anthology. Kim Clarke's bass playing is

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Cosine on "A Certain Ratio". That is some cold stuff.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    http://www.roctober.com/roctober/blackpunk4.html

...look under "Soul Music & the Forgotten New Wave Era"

Quite a few Solar acts seemed to dabble in this style in the early 80's - Collage's "Get In Touch" album definitely has a couple of joints with that new wave R&B/punk funk sound, and I think Midnight Star & Klymaxx may have had a crack at it as well. I don't recall any of them being particularly successful, though, either commercially or artistically.

Also see Windjammer (on MCA) , whose II and III albums feature a healthy portion of New Wave Funk Rock, much to their detriment IMO.

SG

There's no surefire explanation as to why this era ended, any more than why it began. The period came and went, with only the mega-talents surviving the wreckage. But maybe it's time to consider if that wreckage is ripe for scavenging. Just like Soul's occasional flirtations with Latin music, the punk-funk era produced equal amounts trash & treasure (sometimes within the same song). (JP)

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

There's no surefire explanation as to why this era ended, any more than why it began. The period came and went, with only the mega-talents surviving the wreckage. But maybe it's time to consider if that wreckage is ripe for scavenging. Just like Soul's occasional flirtations with Latin music, the punk-funk era produced equal amounts trash & treasure (sometimes within the same song). (JP)

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    ACR ARE THE TRUTH!!!