someone please help me w/ these RUSSIAN JAZZ LP'S

anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
here i am trying to research these MEAOANR (CCCP) russian jazz LP's. they sound good and look valuable but do not have a WORD OF ENGLISH on them.fuckin a doode.i am even using a russian alaphebet translation off the internet to try to figure this shit.i am getting nowhere.these things cant be unknown!how do you guys deal with this stuff?ap

Comments

• stop_33stop_33 365 Posts
    pray to the ghost of rasputin while swigging back some vodka...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    send them over to me for inspection!

a lot of these russian records are unknown, atleast by the international digging community, because no one can read them. and dates and years don't mean a thing, i have a lot of 80s russian stuff that sounds . even all the way up to 89.

perhaps hold on to them for now, probly won't get too much for them. but there is a big interest in eastern european records now, and i think a lot of these records will become a lot more valuable in the near future.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Please send Ensemble Melodica LPS to NYC. Dankash??n. Nostrovia!

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    got pics ?

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    The label is "Melodiya". The USSR was always 10 years behind on every music trend because it took that long for culture to penetrate the iron curtain. This is why you can buy LP's from the 80's and they still have tons of fuzz and shit.

AP, if you post a picture, I can get them translated. I work for a Professor who is Russian and he has translated other things for me.

The only problem is that there are usually a few different ways to spell things.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Russian Jazz is a must.

Labyrinth - Georgi Garanian (Melodiya Ensemble)
    the first 4 Melodiya Ensemble LPs are great
    Arsenals first LP is good
    Orchestra Zerman (he's a Czech guy, I believe)

I can't read all the other names. But I like Russian Jazz. Good music.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

The only problem is that there are usually a few different ways to spell things.

true!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    it will also be difficult to sort out the different releases of each record. maybe you should contact a russian seller. i know a russian guy from st. petersburg that sells a lot of vinyl. he has contacts to us sellers and some business related contact too. i paid my money to a us address (his partner in the us). but i don't know how reliable that guy really is.

translating each letter should be easy. Kinda like the Hebrew signs. Each Rusian character can be directly translated to regular character. maybe there are instructions online (google).

• BlackmarksBlackmarks 155 Posts
    post pictures and i can translate the names of the artists and titles at least.