"The Wire" update (NRR)

Rix22Rix22 67 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
For those who missed season 3 of "The Wire" or would like to re-up, HBO is re-airing season 3 on Sunday nights. Episode 1 aired last night. Barksdale is

Comments

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    When will this be out on DVD?

I saw it on a torrent site but could never get it to start.
    Anyone have it in digi form???

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

Question of the year dude!

Wifey and I watched season 1 & 2 on DVD but don't have HBO. Now we're jonesing so bad for our WIRE fix, I bought OZ season 1 & 2 (for me) and ENTOURAGE season 1 (for both of us) just to have something to watch in the interim.

• DustbusterDustbuster 278 Posts
    HBO's got a murderers row on Sunday. "The Wire," "Deadwood," "Entourage," and "Lucky Louie" (though Lucky Louie wasn't all that funny).

What keeps me excited is 24 straight weeks of The Wire. I haven't seen season three, so it's gonna be a good TV summer.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

faux rillz very kindly let me know that it is due out this summer

Season Three - August 8

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Season Three - August 8

Nice I was trying to figure this out FOREVAR.

There was NOTHING on the HBO website about the Season 3 release date. Whatupwtihthat?

• head034head034 24 Posts
    Been waiting for The 3rd season DVD forever!!! HBO is pretty wack when it comes to releaseing DVDs! It takes years for them to release..verses other DVD series(FOX...) release every 6 to 9 monthes.

Season Three - August 8

Nice I was trying to figure this out FOREVAR.

There was NOTHING on the HBO website about the Season 3 release date. Whatupwtihthat?

It's in the Store Section

• chrischris 287 Posts
    i had all of season 3 on my harddrive recently from torrents, but deleted it for the space.
    when does season 4 even start? (not that i have cable )
    i believe i heard it's going to focus on the baltimore school system (and marlo, presumably).

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    i had all of season 3 on my harddrive recently from torrents, but deleted it for the space.
    when does season 4 even start?

I would guess that the idea is to have the Season 3 DVD release coincide with the start of the new season.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Post deleted by DocMcCoy

i believe i heard it's going to focus on the baltimore school system (and marlo, presumably).

season three give aways!

AK!!

please to warn non-cable households of spoilers!

knowing my favourite hunk is killed off is bad enough!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    man, i dont even remember what happened last season since its been so long

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

season three give aways!

AK!!

Shit, sorry! Season 3 is not long over in the UK, and I know that we didn't get the first season over here until the third was almost over in the US, so I just assumed that most US people would have been up on the outcome by now. My mistake.

season three give aways!

AK!!

Shit, sorry! Season 3 is not long over in the UK, and I know that we didn't get the first season over here until the third was almost over in the US, so I just assumed that most US people would have been up on the outcome by now. My mistake.

lol - it's cool. i stopped myself from reading the whole thing!

i'm in Canada and i don't have cable, so i'm at the mercy of the DVD releases.
    i came to the series late and had the luxury of the second season DVDs being released within a month of finishing the first season DVDs. having to wait over a year for the third season to come out has been so aggravating.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Yes it's going to be about the school system. The writer was an ex-cop and ex-school teacher. I'm not sure it's going to include Marlo, but it's going to include the guy who was an ex-soldier who opened up the boxing gym in Season 3 I read.

• Rix22Rix22 67 Posts

Yes it's going to be about the school system. The writer was an ex-cop and ex-school teacher. I'm not sure it's going to include Marlo, but it's going to include the guy who was an ex-soldier who opened up the boxing gym in Season 3 I read.

Cutty

Wifey and I watched season 1 & 2 on DVD

Girlfriend and I did the same thing recently. I'd never seen most of Season 2 so it was mostly all knew to me. For some reason, I just wasn't expecting much seeing as how they switched the setting to the docks, but it was just as good, if not downright depressing with the ending. As a public school teacher I am definitely excited about Season 4 and how they portray education in America.

Here's a little blurb by the creator Ed Burns on Season 4 from an interview on HBO's website:

ED BURNS
    We take the kids from the first episode, where you see them as children and less as adults. And then, as you move through the season, we bring the problems in. We have four distinct personalities that we're following. They're as consistent on the street as in the classroom.

Sometimes we think of schools and prisons as being removed from society, places where the street doesn't enter in. But that's not the case. The school is porous. If there's a problem in the neighborhood, there's a problem in the school. A wannabe thug is a wannbe thug in the classroom. >>

And it looks like I'm wrong, they ARE going to include Marlo.

ED BURNS
    Well, it's not about education as you're thinking about education. Everybody is going to get educated. It's just a question of where. Some people get educated in the classroom, some people get educated in a boxing gym; some people get educated on a corner.

So we have adult characters who are the magnets of where you get educated. Marlo is a huge magnet. Cutty and Colvin are trying a different approach.

When kids are connected through interest, that's where the process begins. So a kid might be disruptive in class, but when someone is showing them how to load a gun, they're riveted. That's how I see education.>>

Here's the link for the whole interview:

http://www.hbo.com/thewire/interviews/ed_burns.shtml

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Not to kill your hope motown, but I have a feeling season 4 is going to deal with not so much the school system, but the education system as a whole. Like Cutty starting a youth club and something following Carcetti and the type of ideals he grew up with. Also one of Marlo's soldiers, Snoop, is supposed to have a bigger role next season. Seems like I've been waiting for season 4 forever.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Read this:

It'll give you some crazy insight into The Wire and Baltimore and the drug trade there.

Read this:

It'll give you some crazy insight into Baltimore and the murder rate there.

Then see all 7 seasons of this:

It'll give you some crazy insight into Baltimore and what the creators of THE WIRE and THE CORNER were doing before they started those shows.

For real: HOMICIDE: LIFE ON THE STREET > THE WIRE

Gotta disagree respectfully my man - I tried watching Homicide and while I thought it was pretty cool for a police procedural, in the end, it just didn't sustain my interest in the way "The Wire" does.

That said, "Homicide" was written by the same folks who wrote "The Corner." I haven't read the former though but I plan to track that sucker down since I enjoyed "The Corner" so much.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Homicide writers = Wire writers, too, for the most part.

Homicide was great, I used to watch that shit every friday. But you have to realize that it was constrained by the significant limitations of network TV where HBO has no such constraints. The Wire wins, but its not really a fair contest.

Gotta disagree respectfully my man - I tried watching Homicide and while I thought it was pretty cool for a police procedural, in the end, it just didn't sustain my interest in the way "The Wire" does.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that point - I find the characters & situations in HOMICIDE a lot more interesting and less Hollywood than THE WIRE. But no harm, no foul - I think THE WIRE is great too.

That said, "Homicide" was written by the same folks who wrote "The Corner." I haven't read the former though but I plan to track that sucker down since I enjoyed "The Corner" so much.

Yeah check it out - I didn't read THE CORNER, but HOMICIDE was a good book as I recall. It's been about 10 years since I read it though.

Homicide writers = Wire writers, too, for the most part.

Homicide was great, I used to watch that shit every friday. But you have to realize that it was constrained by the significant limitations of network TV where HBO has no such constraints. The Wire wins, but its not really a fair contest.

I understand that but at the end of the day, I just wasn't that into "Homicide" even though I could appreciate it.

See "classics that not everyone has to actually like but can agree are still good" thread

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    The Homicide book is definitely great btw - the amazing chapter where he writes about the detectives in the middle of a sweltering summer with a record # of murders set to the soundtrack of "It Takes 2" is incredible. And

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

We'll have to agree to disagree on that point - I find the characters & situations in HOMICIDE a lot more interesting and less Hollywood than THE WIRE. But no harm, no foul - I think THE WIRE is great too.

Yeah check it out - I didn't read THE CORNER, but HOMICIDE was a good book as I recall. It's been about 10 years since I read it though.

either way David Simon = the truth.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts

The Corner is dope. Haven't read the book, but caught the mini series recently. Besides it being one of the most moving pieces of television I have ever seen, the acting (and directing) was also some of the finest. Also I'm a sucker for documentary style videography.

If you think the Wire was 'hollywood' please to check out the Corner. The Wire was one of the best televisions scripts in recent history in my opinion. It seems people have discredited it (not fingering anyone on SS), simply because it was written for a television series, and works so well in 1 hour slots.

I just got done reading this and highly recommend it. I read somewhere that this was a little bit of inspiration for the corner, not sure how other than they both deal with the inner city. Now all I need to do is track down the movie featuring Oprah.

peace
    RObz

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

The Corner is dope. Haven't read the book, but caught the mini series recently. Besides it being one of the most moving pieces of television I have ever seen, the acting (and directing) was also some of the finest. Also I'm a sucker for documentary style videography.

If you think the Wire was 'hollywood' please to check out the Corner. The Wire was one of the best televisions scripts in recent history in my opinion. It seems people have discredited it (not fingering anyone on SS), simply because it was written for a television series, and works so well in 1 hour slots.

Having first read the book, I had some reservations about the miniseries version of The Corner, but you're right that it is really well done.

It's also kind of like watching The Wire (the Remix), since Burns and Simon first met a lot of the local actors that they used in The Wire while filming The Corner, and the two shows have at least a dozen cast members in common.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts

Having first read the book, I had some reservations about the miniseries version of The Corner, but you're right that it is really well done.

It's also kind of like watching The Wire (the Remix), since Burns and Simon first met a lot of the local actors that they used in The Wire while filming The Corner, and the two shows have at least a dozen cast members in common.

Agreed. The most interesting thing for me though is the way they took a good piece of documentary work and turned it into a TV series. Simon has often expressed how frustrated he was working on the TV version of Homocide because of prime time tv's restrictions. Seeing the crew breaking a lot of television ideals to put together an intelligent show that people actually want to watch is really the high point for me. They've proved their writing abilities imo. And of course the use of non actors adds to the director's credit.

Like I said, I saw the Wire before the Corner. Marla Daniels as Bunchy took a while to get used to. Although the remix analogy is fine, I prefer to think of my time spent watching the Corner more as the Wire sample spotting.