Four Tops appreciation post

Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
people everytime will pick the Temptations over their labelmate.........but I absolutely love their outputs in the 70's .when they were backed by the l.a. regulars and produced by Dennis Lambert and Brian Potter..and their line - up has been unchanged for so long, compared to the average vocal band........thinkin how high was the standard for boy-bands ,back then.......

Comments

• Options
    Still Water is my jam.

K.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    "Aint' No Woman"[/b] is my jam.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Bernadette just kills me everytime I hear it. Simply amazing.

This reminds me I gotta buy more by them.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Levi Stubbs is the King Of The Pussy Beggars (after Tyrone Davis).

After they left Motown, they did do some great stuff for the folks at ABC/Dunhill. My fave is "Seven Lonely Nights," which is as catchy as the Hong Kong flu. And "Keeper Of The Castle" had some NASTY wah-wah guitar.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Their Live LP was one of the first records I bought when I got into all this. A pretty damn decent start.

- J

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    but I absolutely love their outputs in the 70's .when they were backed by the l.a. regulars and produced by Dennis Lambert and Brian Potter..

i've said on here before how much i enjoy those 70's four tops records...appreciation is due

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Bernadette

Absolutely unfadeable. Back when I was in single digits, "Bernadette" was the very first song I heard that gave me what they call "the shock of recognition": It made me realize that there existed a fiery, end-of-the-world type of love, and at the same time made me realize that I was six years old and still thought girls were gross and thus there was no earthly reason why I should even have known what the fuck I was listening to--but still, there it was. That long second of silence in the middle--right before he cries "Bernadette!" like he's been shot--holds vast continents. Like those exhausting dreams where I'm reading a book as I'm writing it, listening made me race ahead of myself even as I lagged a half-step behind, simultaneously exhilarated and scared shitless that a day might come that I would feel as strongly as the singer of this song. Probably the only reason that Third Guitar 45 didn't turn my hair into snakes is because I heard "Bernadette" first.

So, yeah--I appreciate.

That Little Shop Of Horrors movie was my shit, too. Levi Stubbs played the plant.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Their Live LP was one of the first records I bought when I got into all this. A pretty damn decent start.

Which one? (I can think of two off the top of my head, LIVE! from the sixties and LIVE & IN CONCERT from the seventies...)

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    but I absolutely love their outputs in the 70's .when they were backed by the l.a. regulars and produced by Dennis Lambert and Brian Potter..

i've said on here before how much i enjoy those 70's four tops records...appreciation is due

"are you man enough" from the "Shaft in Africa" OST is absolutely amazing.....Stubb was really great and IM QUITE IMPRESSED he never left to try a somewhat solo career, cause he was obviously talented......

• 'Shake Me Wake Me" and "Something About You" are my shit...