Needle Advice (Non DJ Related)

CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
So I got one of these this weekend in a trade for a broken amp. I had been looking for a listening turntable for home use so I was happy to get it for a trade.All it needs is a new belt, feet, cart and head shell. I found the belt and feet on needledoctor.com and I think I have an old head shell somewhere, but I need a non dj cart because they are too heavy and drag across the record during the auto return. Can anyone recommend a cheap non dj cart? I really can't swing much more than 30 on this.I found the following online. Stanton 400 V3 Cartridge & Audio-Technica CN5625AL Cartridge has anyone ever used them?

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

• Ahh yes. The Auto Return is for the bedroom listening. Sounds like you put in a lot of work getting that TT back in action. I usually go to Record Finders (formerly Memory Lane) for all my (non-DJ) TT & needle needs. They're off of Staples Mill Road. and they do repairs too. They will definitely be able to set you up for under $30.

Ahh yes. The Auto Return is for the bedroom listening. Sounds like you put in a lot of work getting that TT back in action. I usually go to Record Finders (formerly Memory Lane) for all my (non-DJ) TT & needle needs. They're off of Staples Mill Road. and they do repairs too. They will definitely be able to set you up for under $30.

The turntable didn't need much work at all. It works fine. The belt is just old and kind of dry so I think it is fucking up the speed because the record I tested on it sounded kind of slow. As far as the feet go they sell a pack of stick on ones for $20 online, but I will hit up that shop. Where is it at on Staples mills?

Oh yeah and your show was dope on Sunday. It sounded good while I was driving around digging.

• Thanks Man! I was a bit hung-over from partying on the roof the night before. Luckily the music can make up for the poor DJing (at times). But I'm glad to know that people are hearing it.
    Memory Lane , i mean Record Finders is a great spot. Just head up Staples Mill towards Parham and turn right on Hermitage Road. Then take the first left, into that industrial warehouse park area. It's on the second or third left after that. It's kind of tricky to find the first time you go. But that's pretty much it.

Thanks Man! I was a bit hung-over from partying on the roof the night before. Luckily the music can make up for the poor DJing (at times). But I'm glad to know that people are hearing it.
    Memory Lane , i mean Record Finders is a great spot. Just head up Staples Mill towards Parham and turn right on Hermitage Road. Then take the first left, into that industrial warehouse park area. It's on the second or third left after that. It's kind of tricky to find the first time you go. But that's pretty much it.

Thanks I will check it out. I hate buying shit online so it will be nice to go to a store.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Can you make it $50? I would buy this:

Audio-Technica AT95E

# 3.5 mV output
    # Frequency response of 20-20,000 Hz
    # Channel balance within 2.0 dB
    # Channel separation >20 dB at 1kHz
    # 0.4 x 0.7 mil elliptical stylus
    # Bonded round shank stylus construction
    # 1.5-2.5g tracking force
    # Weight of 5.7g
    # Aluminum cantilever
    # Audio-Technica product spec and installation sheet included
    # Replacement stylus ATN95E

Can you make it $50? I would buy this:

Audio-Technica AT95E

# 3.5 mV output
    # Frequency response of 20-20,000 Hz
    # Channel balance within 2.0 dB
    # Channel separation >20 dB at 1kHz
    # 0.4 x 0.7 mil elliptical stylus
    # Bonded round shank stylus construction
    # 1.5-2.5g tracking force
    # Weight of 5.7g
    # Aluminum cantilever
    # Audio-Technica product spec and installation sheet included
    # Replacement stylus ATN95E

Yeah, I saw that, but I just bought a house so I need to spend very little. What would be good to get by with untill I can buy something better.

• KinoKino 17 Posts
    I may have an extra stock Marantz headshell from my 6300 if you want to trade or something. Looks like this one. http://tinyurl.com/lfeo4

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    In that case:

Shure M92E

It's a P-mount cart, but comes with a 1/2" adapter.

In that case:

Shure M92E

It's a P-mount cart, but comes with a 1/2" adapter.

Great, thanks I will probably get that one for now.

I may have an extra stock Marantz headshell from my 6300 if you want to trade or something. Looks like this one. http://tinyurl.com/lfeo4

Not sure what you might want for it. Send me a PM. If you want something in that price range I will probably just get a stock headshell for $10.