Done with bagsunlimited- other options for mailers

aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
I've been ordering from bagsunlimited for mailing supplies for years.it's getting too expensive and to be honest i haven't had great experience with their 45 mailers which are always slightly defective- cardboard busts/splits at the seams, etc- i've complained at least twice about it.in any case, i remember someone mentioned brasspack for supplies who seem good. but the only issue is that their smaller size lp mailers are listed as only holding 1-4 records whereas bagsunlimited's smaller size lp mailers can hold 1-6. i don't have a ton of 5-6 lp orders at a time but enough that it makes a difference in terms of that extra width in the mailer.... but i don't want to have to order the 4-10 lp mailer as i don't think i would use it all for years. I'm wondering if anyone uses brasspack and orders their lp mailers and has been able to fit more than 4 records at a time in the smaller size? Maybe they are making a conservative estimate? Or whether anyone has used their service and been satisfied with it.Or other affordable options for supplies outside of brasspack?not the most exciting post here and i know it's been discussed at length before but i'd appreciate any help.peace.

Comments

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Or other affordable options for supplies outside of brasspack?

I just put a $250 order in at Bags Unlimited! Shit...

I don't have much to offer, but I would be interested in reading more on this subject. The last time this thread came up I bookmarked this site:

http://www.sleevetown.com/

But have yet to patronize them.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I use Brasspack. Great service and unbeatable price... well there is another that can beat them, but their mailers were terrible (can't remember their name).

Plus each order comes with free microwave popcorn.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Also, I have been known to "cram" 6 records in a Brasspack mailer.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

plaese to post more information!

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    I've been able to get 5 or more lps in the Brasspack mailers (I've been very pleased with the place myself), just make sure that you reinforce the edges and all should be gravy.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

plaese to post more information!

nice cover, what is that?

• djrdjr 511 Posts

I just tried these guys, and prices were good, boxes seem OK:

www.indyboxes.net

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    I use brasspack as well and they've been dope. When getting the outer sleeves (for those who do that), I rock with Something Special and get their mailers that hold 10+....

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    uline? I can't speak about their product, but another option.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

http://www.sleevetown.com/

But have yet to patronize them.

I use them every quarter and get great service. In the past year they've started getting their 2.5 mil acrylic poly bags made in Taiwan, and the quality seems to be even better when they went through International Plastics which was based in the USA.

I highly recommend them. They run specials too, look on the left side nav for coupon codes, etc. Pretty much knocks off shipping costs.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Oops, you're asking about mailers.

www.papermart.com with the 53 cents per 12" vari depth mailer...dunno if they do 7" but I'm guessing they do.

I have since started going local and have gotten a competitive introductory deal, then 50 cents per mailer. Jeah!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    My problem is to have one place that does it all: mailers, polys, inner/outer sleeves, 7" sleeves & mailers, place cards, VPI parts... so far I fuck with Bags Unltd. because it ends up costing less getting everything from one place. Shit still costly though...

Also depends on the quantity you're ordering because a lot of these places have minimums.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    not really applicable for you Ari, but if you're in Chicago, I got the hook up on LP mailers and filler pads... just a wee bit cheaper than brasspack,and you dont have to pay for shipping if you come pick em up.

Can't do 45 mailers though

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Brasspack it good. You can definitely fit 5-6 lp's in one of their mailers.

• kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts
    For LP mailers I personally like uline.com. Shit gets here in less than 24 hours and their shipping charges are a fraction of bags unlimited. One time a box of packing tape showed up a day late and they refunded my shipping costs. However, they don't have 45 mailers, which means I get stuck ordering from bags unlimited or brass pack.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    cool thanks for the info. very helpful. this is the shit i love about this site.
    you ask a question and folks are informative and offer a variety of options.

gonna place an order through brasspack. i was mainly concerned about a smaller size mailer- but it seems like a consensus is that you can fit 5 or "cram" 6.

but one last one.

i need heavy stock green-ish coloured 45 sleeves. who carries these for cheap?

peace.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Yoh ari, go with brasspack. You can fit 5 or 6 LPs in those mailers.

I just tried a place that sold a 50 pack of LP mailers for $19-something with shipping. Pretty good deal, $.43 each I think. Brasspack was uhm, around $.50-something each? Supposedly shipped today. Will report back when they arrive.

My main issue with Bagsunlimited is they take a looooonngggg time. Brasspack and other sellers ship same day!

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts

I just tried a place that sold a 50 pack of LP mailers for $19-something with shipping. Pretty good deal, $.43 each I think.

what site was this? i think that's the cheapest i've seen yet...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I wouldn't recommend bagsunltd for most folks but I will say this:

If you're in NY state, shipping is free.

If you call before noon, your order ships the same day.

Never had a problem.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

I just tried a place that sold a 50 pack of LP mailers for $19-something with shipping. Pretty good deal, $.43 each I think.

fleabay. Username = cuttingedgepackaging.

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts
    I order my sleeves and mailers from a company called Something Special Enterprises outta PA.

I pay $70 for 1000 3mil poly sleeves (inc. postage)

LP mailers are 50 cents each plus postage (holds 2-4 LPs)

They don't have a website but you can call them for prices. Don't be suprised if the line is busy. I think they only have one phone line. Small operation but the prices are the best I've found. Here's their info:

Tel: (412) 487-2626 * Something Special Enterprises (Pittsburgh, PA) Record Sleeves, Collecting supplies, Storage & shipping boxes.

• I order my sleeves and mailers from a company called Something Special Enterprises outta PA.

I pay $70 for 1000 3mil poly sleeves (inc. postage)

LP mailers are 50 cents each plus postage (holds 2-4 LPs)

They don't have a website but you can call them for prices. Don't be suprised if the line is busy. I think they only have one phone line. Small operation but the prices are the best I've found. Here's their info:

Tel: (412) 487-2626 * Something Special Enterprises (Pittsburgh, PA) Record Sleeves, Collecting supplies, Storage & shipping boxes.

We've been dealing with them for years now, good people, good prices, solid products. Sleeves, boxes, "pizza box" heavy duty record mailers, two sizes of 45 and LP mailers, cardboard 45 sleeves, paper sleeves, they got it all. They usually advertise in Discoveries magazine, second or third page. I would never go anywhere else.

Deep beats and deep crates,
    Sonic

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

fleabay. Username = cuttingedgepackaging.

I have no complaints with them. Watch for listing errors, too. I recently won an auction where the title listed 25 45 mailers, but the description said 50 mailers. The buy-it-now price was $9.75, which was obviously for the 25. They sent me 50.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    i use bagsunlimited...they ship quick for me but maybe that's because i'm in new york. and their standard mailers hold 6 to 8 but i have ways of making them hold over 10. also, they have these 20 plus lp mailers that are great for doing lots on ebay.