You stupid record dealer.

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Had a great night DJing w/ Cowbwoy, DigDug & Dave Tompkins last night. Unfortunately allergies & too much beer kept me in bed until 12pm today so I didn't make it out to the flea market until about 1:30pm, by which time the sun had risen the temperature to the mid-80s. Overall the flea was a bust until I came across a dealer with some decent LPs for $3 and a box of 45s which yielded a couple of nice northern tunes. Unfortunately dude had left the 45 box in the sun before I got there, and half of the singles were warped beyond repair. Apparently he thought that his souvenir beer mirrors would benefit more from his shaded canopy than the vinyl. What an idiot.Anyway, he let me have a couple of the warped 45s for free, one of which was a WLP of Geraldine Hunt's "I Let Myself Go" on Katron, which had almost no scratches and would have played great if it didn't have several horrible warps. Naturally, the only online mention I could find of this 45 was a northern collector selling it for 75 Euros and even Manship didn't have a copy for sale. Fuck.All I can say (other than "Get up earlier next time Marco") isYOU STUPID RECORD DEALER. I know you have similar stupid record dealer stories. Tell them.

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Man I've tried to tell folks at the flea market not to leave the wax in the sun and they don't give a fuuuuuuck

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

it would just make me mad to have those warped 45s in my possession. why did you take them? won't it drive you crazy that you have these records which would be nice to have if they weren't completely fucked up? i avoid warped records like the plague , it drives me crazy.

but yeah, it seems pretty obvious that you shouldn't be leaving shit in the sun, especially when it's stuff that you're trying to get money for.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Get up earlier, Marco.

You rock for taking the time to whine about this online though. People also underestimate what a few minutes to a few hours can do to records in a car/van/truck with no AC.

SHADY TRUNK =

• mojoworkinmojoworkin 283 Posts
    There's a record 'de-warper' that most upscale audio shops now have.

I saw one in 'Applause Audio' here in Toronto just the other day. The shit does exist, and it does work. It heats the record to 200 degress for two hours, then cools it for 2 hours.

It's $1,500 or some shit, but the dude will demo it for you, and I know of at least one other dude in town that will de-warp shit for $5.

You're free to PM me about the dude's services, but it depends if you wanted to send em all the way to Toronto.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

This seems to occur at every flea market I go to.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    There's a record 'de-warper' that most upscale audio shops now have.

I saw one in 'Applause Audio' here in Toronto just the other day. The shit does exist, and it does work. It heats the record to 200 degress for two hours, then cools it for 2 hours.

It's $1,500 or some shit, but the dude will demo it for you, and I know of at least one other dude in town that will de-warp shit for $5.

You're free to PM me about the dude's services, but it depends if you wanted to send em all the way to Toronto.

I don't think there are any 'upscale audio shops' in this state