Neneh Cherry is Don Cherry's daughter?

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
the video for Buffalo Stance came on VH-1 Classics and my hommie is all "that's don cherry's daughter." i guess it's not that surprising but it kinda is to me.uh, i kinda like that buffalo stance song

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    oh shit

Buffalo Stance > Symphony For Improvisers??

My world is shaken

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    And, isn't Eagle Eye Cherry (of one-hit wonder "Save Tonight," fame) her brother/his son?

Where's the graemlin for "Fact too worthless to google?"

• her brother is is this dude

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Yes. Wikipedia told me that he is indeed her brother/his son.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    buffalo stance

Cherry red v. Chicken Yellow

SAVE TONIGHT

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    ...but Ava Cherry is no relation

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    i thought she was his stepdaughter, not actually blood related?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Trivia

Half-sister of singer Eagle Eye Cherry.

Step-daughter of jazz musician Don Cherry.

Was a few months pregnant with her first child when she performed in the "Buffalo Stance" video. Performed her "Blowing Kisses In The Wind" video with that first child and pregnant, again.

She is 1/2 black & 1/2 Swedish ----HUH?[/b]

Half-sister of Titiyo Jah

Speaks Swedish fluently.

Her biological father is Ahmadu Jah, a jazz musician from Sierra Leone

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

I heard a rumor back in the day that she got lyme disease and croaked. I think it was one of those weird KMEL started rumors.

Does anyone (bay related) remember when KMEL would spead crazy ass bullshit stories. I remember once they said that C Murder and Mystical were killed in a car wreck. Also they once said that Chris Tucker had AIDS and shot himself in the head.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

"huh" what?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Trivia

Half-sister of singer Eagle Eye Cherry.

Step-daughter of jazz musician Don Cherry.

Was a few months pregnant with her first child when she performed in the "Buffalo Stance" video. Performed her "Blowing Kisses In The Wind" video with that first child and pregnant, again.

Half-sister of Titiyo Jah

Speaks Swedish fluently.

Her biological father is Ahmadu Jah, a jazz musician from Sierra Leone

she sounds a lot more interesting then her music

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

"huh" what?

Just that I don't seem to understand. Is black now a country? Or is Swedish a race?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

"huh" what?

Just that I don't seem to understand. Is black now a country? Or is Swedish a race?

If that was a quote from some website I'd say their description of her origins is a bit suspect. But yes, she is Don Cherry's stepdaughter with a Swedish connection. Her father Ahmadu Jarr came to Sweden in the late 60s and his percussion playing is featured on many Swedish jazz records. Neneh's sister Titiyo is a fairly well-known singer in Scandinavia as well.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    neneh was also in a later incarnation of the Slits too.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

new age steppers.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    The family resemblence is striking

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    what the hell ever happened to neneh cherry anyways? she in the retirement home with rae dawn chong and shari belafonte?

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    what the hell ever happened to neneh cherry anyways? she in the retirement home with rae dawn chong and shari belafonte?

let's not forget Cre Summer, Ambersunshower, and Lisa Bonet.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

What kind of a little kufi dude are you?

None of those artists were on her level--not even the one that inspired Paycheck's album.

• Both Neneh and Eagle-Eye seems to be a bit hysterical. I was at the same opening
    as they were a couple of years ago (an Anton Corbijn exhibition) and they were
    really uptight. Later that night, a band with 16- and 17 year olds were playing
    when Neneh and Eagle-Eye went straight up to the stage after two songs, asked for
    the acoustic guitar. The band left and Eagle-Eye played "Save tonight" and some
    other songs with Neneh on backing vocals. Pretty much everyone looked like

By the way, Neneh did a rap-comeback in swedish a while ago. I heard it on
    air once but they will probably never play it again, straight up dirty sex lyrics

peace

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

What kind of a little kufi dude are you?

None of those artists were on her level--not even the one that inspired Paycheck's album.

how dare you !

they are like the "matthew", "luke", and "john" of Kufi-fetishists the world over.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    It got a little hot & heavy up in the 70s swedish commune.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

new age steppers.

yes AND the new age steppers

• When I was in Ethiopia somebody I talked to said that one of the musicians that was famous before the revolution has a daughter in sweden which supposedly is a pretty wellknown singer. I didnt recognise her name though.

I think it was one of the Meteku brothers but Im not 100% sure about that.

Anybody knows about that?

Dress

• crashcoursecrashcourse 214 Posts

new age steppers.

yes AND the new age steppers
    also rip rig and panic and float up cp

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Neneh is reppin' the New Age Steppers' affinity for off-key singers on:

some 18-19 years old.

She also sings duet with Matt Johnson on "Slow Train To Dawn" from:

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

A few years ago the word was that she had a house somewhere in spain and was basically chilling. She came a long way and was also part of the Wild Bunch Soundsystem aka Massive Attack, or at least affiliated with them (any Bristol heads on here can confirm?). I think she still lives of the radio royalties and sales money, which shouldn't have been too bad. Dunno nothing about a rapcomeback in Swedish though...

on a side note: Dj Mushroom, ex-Massive Attack, played both in "Buffalo Stance" and "Manchild" Videos...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

A few years ago the word was that she had a house somewhere in spain and was basically chilling. She came a long way and was also part of the Wild Bunch Soundsystem aka Massive Attack, or at least affiliated with them (any Bristol heads on here can confirm?). I think she still lives of the radio royalties and sales money, which shouldn't have been too bad. Dunno nothing about a rapcomeback in Swedish though...

on a side note: Dj Mushroom, ex-Massive Attack, played both in "Buffalo Stance" and "Manchild" Videos...

Yeah she was part of the wild bunch back in the day and also sings backing vocals on The Big Wheel on Massive Attack's Blue Lines (It's not her fault it's the only shit song on the album). Raw Like Sushi is mainly produced by Mushroom and Bomb The Bass and I've still got a soft spot for it. Manchild is a classic in my provate mind garden and tracks like Here I Come are enjoyable enough.

Remember seeing her perform Buffalo Stance on Top of The Pops dressed in lycra cycling shorts while heavily pregnant.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Geoff Barrow (aka Portishead producer) produced "Somedays" offa the album with "Trout" on it.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

It's possible to be black and swedish, ya know... Neneh was interviewed in a magazine where she said "Talk like sex" was a revelation for her or something like that. Right on.