Berklee "Jazz In The Classroom" info?

pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
I found volumes 3, 4 & 5 at a local thrift shop today.Can anyone shed a light on these? or just information, whichever? I guess volume 2 is really where its at cause Monty Stark played on it. Volume 4 has Gabor Szabo on it....Jazz just ain't my thang really....looking for help -peeJ

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I have vol 2.
    The line up is insane: Monty Stark, Toshiko Akiyoshi, Gabor Szabo, Joe Zawinul, Robert (Bob) James, Arif Mardin...
    These were all students, though Monty claims he was not.
    Faculty personnel is Herb Pomeroy, Charlie Mariano and Everett Longstreth.

This is 1961 or '62 and is about the students composition and ensemble playing, so any one looking for Nautalus or Stark Reality is going to be disappointed.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I see these pretty often.

Despite featuring some future luminaries, they don't go for a whole lot. I think they max out at $20 or so.

• yeah, i check them out when they pop up on ebay, & have scooped a few pretty cheap. i pretty much never see them go for over $25. there's a bunch of them too, i think at least 15-20. pretty sure they went into the late 70s, if not early 80s.

• sort of related, I have a copy of Graham Collier's "Songs For My Father" on Berklee press - totally handmade cover, and the title is "Compositional Devices"... not the most earth-shattering thing but pretty cool. Always wondered how to value it...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    I see these pretty often.

Despite featuring some future luminaries, they don't go for a whole lot. I think they max out at $20 or so.

In some areas of collecting, especially rock, early recordings by luminaries almost always command $$$ even if the quality of the work is not up to snuff.

Soul/jazz collectors are much more concerned with the quality of the work and care less about the history.
    Sometimes.
    In general.
    Seems to me.