Any NHL fans here?... Stanley Cup Playoffs anyone?

fountain16fountain16 93 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
my Blues here had the worst record in the league, but alas we were rewarded with the 1st overall pick in the upcoming late June draft. I have, however been checking out some of the playoff games on the OLN network and there have beeen some really sweet over time games so far. The Edmonton/ Detroit series is going to be a bowser.

Comments

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    My wife usually gets home from Carolina Hurricanes games around 10pm. Tonight she didn't get in until 11:30pm because we lost in overtime.

• I saw that..Micheal Ryder in OT.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    My Flames are gonna go the distance this time...watch out!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'm a huge hockey/NHL fan.
    In fact, I just got home from playing hockey,
    which I do every Monday night year round - and the
    twiddle stick that goes to the head after skating
    is by far the best of the week

OLN is a technical and aesthetic nightmare,
    but they have games every night throughout
    the playoffs, and I'm liking it. Last Friday
    night were the best games I've seen, both OT
    nailbiters. Seen a couple blowouts that were
    hard to pay attention to, but I don't picture myself
    leaving the house too many nights for the next month

I am completely neutral in the playoffs this year
    because my hometown team was almost as much of a
    disaster as yours, if not more so, the "let's trade
    this year's top scorer and league MVP" Boston Bruins.
    I just want Ottawa and Montreal to lose and I'll be happy.
    Habs are taking it to the Canes tho!
    I think people are sleeping on Buffalo, who could
    end up in the Finals, and nobody in the West is looking
    like world-beaters in the postseason so far. Imagine
    the Sabres winning it all with a bunch of "nobodies."

Many people on here are hockey fans (lots of canooks!)
    but it doesn't get discussed too much. I had an "It's NHL
    season" thread way back in October, but don't think the
    game was mentioned again until this week.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    it's the hiphop angle on this board, that's partially why hockey doesn't get discussed much. Folks think only corny mungie cake hosers w/ mullets are into hockey. If people bothered to watch, they'll see how it's a graceful game filled w/ speed and excitement. As usual, the uglyness grabs the headlines and folks are reminded of the fighting and incidents such as Bertuzzi/Moore.

I'm from toronto so I'm a die hard leafs fan as we've talked aboot in the past. I really feel for you on that Thornton trade though, it could end up as being the worst trade of this decade. Harry Sinden is an asshat, and as long as he's around Boston ain't going nowhere. I doubt he'll go anywhere until he croaks to be honest. Then again, I have to put up w/ Leafs management which might just be more dysfunctional than yours. Let's not even get into why Pat Quinn was fired.....

Buffalo is definitely a sleeper team, super fast, and 4 very balanced lines. I went down to Buffalo to see them trounce my Leafs twice this year. Afinoganov, Briere, Connelly all have ridiculous one one one skill.

Carolina is done up imo, especially losing a heartbreaker tonight. Relinquishing a 3-0 lead only to send it into overtime w/ a min and a half left, then to lose in double OT? Now they have two games on the road in Montreal, which has the biggest capcacity arena in the league so you know the place iwll be thundering. It's a wrap.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I don't have a television, so I haven't seen a single game this season. But I'll still refuse to speak to Canonical if the Wings don't beat the Oilers.

Although, I'm cat-sitting for Mr. Delmont while he's vacationing in SE Asia and he has digital cable. Who knows? Maybe the button to order the playoff package will accidentally get pushed when the cat steps on the remote...

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

I think people are sleeping on Buffalo, who could
    end up in the Finals, and nobody in the West is looking
    like world-beaters in the postseason so far. Imagine
    the Sabres winning it all with a bunch of "nobodies."

Sabres fan here, upstate NY. I dont follow it closely but they had a killer season this year, it was hard to miss around these parts. Im hopeful they do well, but to be realistic, theres an unfortunate built in 'buffalo choke/bad luck factor' that comes into play whenever a buffalo (anything) gets near the top. So while my fingers are crossed, Ill just be happy if they make it past the first round. After a season like this one they deserve at least a division title.

• buffalo is my favorite team in the east. my moniker fountain16 is in homage to Sabres great Pat LaFontaine, number 16.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    still recovering from the flyers game. I did like how Ken Hitchcock told Buffalo's coach to fuck off!!!!! My Flyers are on the ropes...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    still recovering from the flyers game. I did like how Ken Hitchcock told Buffalo's coach to fuck off!!!!! My Flyers are on the ropes...

They are missing the old captai and the sabres are on fire

SoulOnIce why the mtl hate..just the rivalry..you took it to us last time now its our time to shine...

buffalo is my favorite team in the east. my moniker fountain16 is in homage to Sabres great Pat LaFontaine, number 16.

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!

let's go flyers !

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    LET GO DETROIT!

I was at the second game against Edmonton this past Sunday and it was disappointing to see them give up two quick goals when it was apparent that the Wings were just trying to get out of the period. They play tonight @ 10 in Edmonton and you can bet I'll be watchin it was a Molson in hand.

It amazes me how much hockey is on TV lately. Here in Michigan we get Fox Sports Detroit which will show the Wings' games. CBC will show sometimes 2 games a day of Canadian teams. (Go HABS!) And of all channels...OLN (Outdoor Living Network) shows 2 games a night lately and bonus coverage. Its outta hand, especially with NBA playoffs and MLB going on.

• buffalo is my favorite team in the east. my moniker fountain16 is in homage to Sabres great Pat LaFontaine, number 16.

let's go flyers !

the Flyers did play like idiots last night. If they had just played hockey instead of running around cheap shotting and taking revenge penalties for the Brian Cambell hit in game 1 they might have evened the series out. Derian Hatcher is like the Xavier McDaniel of hockey, a P.O.S goon.

SoulOnIce why the mtl hate..just the rivalry..you took it to us last time now its our time to shine...

well, first of all - the hate is born of the rivalry...and
    divers like Ribiero and Zednik etc etc ... but I'm confused
    about how we "took it to you last time??" Last time the Bruins
    were in the playoffs, they were top seed in the east, had a
    3-1 series lead over the 8th place Habs, and LOST THE SERIES.

And you ask, "why the hate?"

PS
    I have always liked Kovalev.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

Carolina has not been the same since Erik Cole went down. They also got old with Weight & Recchi. Montreal is pretty thin on the blue line after Souray & Markov & they have a bunch of floaters for forwards. Whoever stinks less in this series will win. I'll take Montreal only because Huet is not consistantly awful and that will be the difference.

buffalo is my favorite team in the east. my moniker fountain16 is in homage to Sabres great Pat LaFontaine, number 16.

let's go flyers !

the Flyers did play like idiots last night. If they had just played hockey instead of running around cheap shotting and taking revenge penalties for the Brian Cambell hit in game 1 they might have evened the series out. Derian Hatcher is like the Xavier McDaniel of hockey, a P.O.S goon.

They just got there ass beat. If you are going to hit a guy make it a legal hit so you won't get a penalty.

• Montreal is pretty thin on the blue line after Souray & Markov & they have a bunch of floaters for forwards.

Watch how you talk about my Canadians. We shall beat Carolina 4-2 in series.

I'll take Montreal only because Huet is not consistantly awful and that will be the difference.

Huet is

Watch how you talk about my Canadians

Such a big fan you can't even spell the team's name

...and what is it with you Habs fans and the wallpaper-sized
    jpegs? You wonder why people root against you

• debardebar 215 Posts
    Brodeur - no Stevens, no Neidermeyer, no Daneyko, still a brick wall

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    No beef here soulonice i thought you guys had beaten us. Zednick flops..whatever i do agree ribeiro has arognace issues.

I think we all agree on kovalev

I am just down for underdogs like the Oilers...always play hard and fun to watch in the playoffs and now they are looking like they have a chance

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

I am just down for underdogs like the Oilers...always play hard and fun to watch in the playoffs and now they are looking like they have a chance

The Oil have always been my team. I went to edmonton to see that heritage classic just to see wayne in Oiler sliks again. I think they've gotten lucky against the wings, tho. We'll see how things go.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

The Oil have always been my team. I went to edmonton to see that heritage classic just to see wayne in Oiler sliks again. I think they've gotten lucky against the wings, tho. We'll see how things go.

Remeber the anson carter days..all scruffy hard hittin..oilers stretching series out.. I wanna see them make it this time

They're lucky like we (canadiens) are lucky but that is what playoff hockey is all about
    game 3 tonight
    go habs go!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    the crowd in Edmonton went deathly quiet when Williams supposedly scored in the first OT. You could hear a pin drop in Rexall Place.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    video replay
    for once

Oilers (and Wild) have been my favorite non-Bruins teams for
    years...scrappy, fast skating teams with more heart than skill
    are the ones I always back. I fell asleep during OT last night
    but the sound of the ruckus when the Oilers scored woke me up
    and I was happy they won but bummed out I missed all the drama.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    the crowd in Edmonton went deathly quiet when Williams supposedly scored in the first OT. You could hear a pin drop in Rexall Place.

My place was going crazy! It was like some magic trick where the puck just showed up in the net. What a terrible loss for the Wings. What pisses me off about the Wings is that they refuse to play a dump and chase system. Instead, one man tries to skate past 5 guys lined up on the blue line playing the trap. That or they try to make some short pass right before they step over the blue line and everyone goes offsides. I say dump and chase, take your chances with the goalie getting the puck, and muck it out in the corners.

Lets see how the Habs do tonight...coming into Montreal as the underdogs in their series with a 2-0 lead.

Pistons play tonight too! But thats another thread

Lets go FLYERS ! Do it for Kate Smith

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Oilers (and Wild) have been my favorite non-Bruins teams for
    years...scrappy, fast skating teams with more heart than skill
    are the ones I always back. I fell asleep during OT last night
    but the sound of the ruckus when the Oilers scored woke me up
    and I was happy they won but bummed out I missed all the drama.

I feel you on the Wild been lovin em since day one. One day they will get theirs

gaborik and manny are the shit

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    An OG Meters - S/T LP* says the Wings will pull it together tonight for a win. Any takers?

*VG Condition

P.S. Can a moderator resize or get rid of those Habs images? Enormous jpegs are obnoxious.