The Coup: Funk 12"

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Quick question: is the remix that's on this 12" that much different from the album version? Here I was, thinking I had every Coup 12" from that era but nope - I never picked up "Funk" and I wonder if it's because I thought I didn't need it.What's truly blowing my mind is that the album version uses the bassline from The Overton Berry Trio's "Jesus Chrsit Superstar."

Comments

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    You definitely need this 12". As dope as the album version is (and I flipped when I heard the original bassline on your "Groove Thang" mix), I prefer the remix. Wish I could place the sample! Big Mello used the same groove on the classic "Macks Drive 'Lacs" a year earlier.

Here's a decent-quality mp3:

The Coup - Funk (Remix)

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    You definitely need this 12". As dope as the album version is (and I flipped when I heard the original bassline on your "Groove Thang" mix), I prefer the remix. Wish I could place the sample! Big Mello used the same groove on the classic "Macks Drive 'Lacs" a year earlier.

Here's a decent-quality mp3:

The Coup - Funk (Remix)

Thanks! Very big of ya.

Oliver

• You definitely need this 12". As dope as the album version is (and I flipped when I heard the original bassline on your "Groove Thang" mix), I prefer the remix. Wish I could place the sample! Big Mello used the same groove on the classic "Macks Drive 'Lacs" a year earlier.

I believe the Coup sampled the Overton Berry riff from one of the volumes of Bulldog Breaks made by Dan Prothero. They were circulating pretty widely in the early 90s.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    It's Quincy Jones (Mr Suckers)