Bataan - Afrofilipino: Appreciation Post (LPR)

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
I realize this is serious "late pass" material, andI freely admit I passed over this LP a few times over the years "because it isn't 'Subway Joe' or on Fania" or whatever - but who cares? After listening to this LP two times a day, every day, since buying it lastweekend, I have to give it up and make what I'm sure will be a true chirper of an appreciation post. Yes, the 1st side, "East Coast," is definitely dope, with some nice ass-shakers and the sweet instro of Gil Scott Heron's "The Bottle" - but for me it'sall about the flip, the "West Coast" side - I findthis 3-song suite to be an absolute masterpiece.The warm fender rhodes, the steady, sure percussion -Joe's singing and the lyrical content, the use of minor keys...this "common" album may be my favorite find so far of 2006 -and I should have recognized this years ago.Does "Bataan II" stand up to this? Can I get some love for this LP from the Strut?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yeah man, it's a great LP. Bataan II isn't going to stand up to it; it's arguably the last solidly good LP Bataan made before "Call My Name."

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    can someone confirm the pronounciation of his name?

is it ba-tawn? like a baton that relay races use?

or is it bah-ta-ahn? the filipino way of saying the double A?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    can someone confirm the pronounciation of his name?

is it ba-tawn? like a baton that relay races use?

or is it bah-ta-ahn? the filipino way of saying the double A?

Technically, I think "bah-ta-ahn" would be more accurate but Joe himself goes by the "ba-tawn" pronounciation.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Being from Boston, I always pronounced it "Bah-tan"

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    ...late pass.
    this record takes time to unveil itself. at first listen it was $7 latin section material. couple of years later and wiser, this record sounds much better. still didn't keep it, but i listened to it for about 4 hours straight. now i'm ready to keep the next copy i see.

i had this exact same feeling about Ray Baretto "la cuna"

• reskresk 391 Posts
    great inexpensive record.

the west coast side is always a great listen. that version of ordinary guy is rediculous

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    ...late pass.
    this record takes time to unveil itself. at first listen it was $7 latin section material. couple of years later and wiser, this record sounds much better. still didn't keep it, but i listened to it for about 4 hours straight. now i'm ready to keep the next copy i see.

i had this exact same feeling about Ray Baretto "la cuna"

maybe i'll give it another listen. As "Joe Bataan sings..." and "Salsoul" have gotten more play.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    the cover of "the bottle" on this album stays in ze permanent party dj crate.

"la cuna" is my favourite cti

• P-Love has been killing this one since I have known him. It kinda started for us as a joke record... but it became a standard bomb-joint status record for the homies in Montreal.