DJ Shadow Hyphy?

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Hey folls, sorry if I'm late with this but I just saw a new DJ Shadow video on MTV Jams. DJ Shadow featuring Keak Da Sneak and Turf Talk. It was some straight hyphy joint. When did Shadow start doing hyphy music?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    he got another track floating around with david banner, numps, and goldie

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    You??re looking so disconnected from the Bay right now, man. Shadow is all about them slappers these days.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    You??re looking so disconnected from the Bay right now, man. Shadow is all about them slappers these days.

Shadow has NEVER been about the slaps mayne so pardon my disconnection. Shadow has always been about tracks that sound like background music from art house movie soundtracks.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts

I'm saying Chan Dog. You never got the newsletter. BTW the latest random bay song of the moment is called "Got My Vans on But They Look Like Sneakers". Sounds like some young dudes made it. Its bad but kinda good because its so bad.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    i see where this one's going...

Where would that be? Are you psychic or some shit? You roll with Dionne Warwick hommie?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I predict that this thread will be on 3 pages in about 5 minutes.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    BTW the latest random bay song of the moment is called "Got My Vans on But They Look Like Sneakers". Sounds like some young dudes made it. Its bad but kinda good because its so bad.

http://www.myspace.com/wolfpackmusik

feelin' it! (SoCal been rocking Vans for years though, lol)

Shadow has NEVER been about the slaps mayne so pardon my disconnection. Shadow has always been about tracks that sound like background music from art house movie soundtracks.

Well, that song has been around for a few months now. It was even featured on this essential Bay mixtape

The man obviously has a wider taste in music than people give him credit for.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    BTW the latest random bay song of the moment is called "Got My Vans on But They Look Like Sneakers". Sounds like some young dudes made it. Its bad but kinda good because its so bad.

There is another one that is similarily foolionic called "yadididamean" that i kinda like too. If I was 15 it would probably be the truth to me.

foolionic

I have never questioned Shadow's taste in music. I read a very serious Miami Bass interview with Shadow a few years back and that fool broke down the whole history of Miami Bass music. I know he has a serious record collection as well. I have just never been that interested in the records he produces. I'm just suprised that he is doing hyphy records.

I have never questioned Shadow's taste in music. I read a very serious Miami Bass interview with Shadow a few years back and that fool broke down the whole history of Miami Bass music. I know he has a serious record collection as well. I have just never been that interested in the records he produces. I'm just suprised that he is doing hyphy records.

It's alright, so are probably most of the people who are still waiting for an other "Entroducing".

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

ya never checked any of his mixes?

yeah, I was just about to ask. Just listened to that "Funky Skunk" mix today, some great southern sounds on it.

David Banner kills it on that new Shadow track. Fiyaaah!

I was talking about his production hommie. Never heard any "slaps" from Shadow.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    i don't like his new stuff.

bring back Endtroducing please.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    i don't like most of the stuff they play on radio lately.

bring back Tupac plaese.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    SMH @ Dj SHadow the Carpetbagger.

Entroducing > Fake Rick Rock beats.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts

Where would that be? Are you psychic or some shit? You roll with Dionne Warwick hommie?

my predictions are coming true!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Hey folls, sorry if I'm late with this but I just saw a new DJ Shadow video on MTV Jams. DJ Shadow featuring Keak Da Sneak and Turf Talk. It was some straight hyphy joint. When did Shadow start doing hyphy music?

Someone post that interview where Shadow refers to this song as "a Bay classic".

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Why is it that nobody is calling Shadow "Josh" these days?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I think he's trying to crossover.. Blazing Downtempo.. he's been there, done that. Bay's gettying a lot o hype lately and he probably wants to ride the crest and sell some records.

• no-one hates middle class white dudes trying to do hiphop more than middle class white dudes trying to do hiphop. dj shadow is a boss and the beasties are dude deluxe's. stop with the self loathing

no-one hates middle class white dudes trying to do hiphop more than middle class white dudes trying to do hiphop. dj shadow is a boss and the beasties are dude deluxe's. stop with the self loathing

Seven posts in and this alias is already growing tiresome.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Even before his blazing down-tempo days, Shadow produced for Paris. Throw in considerations of his early Solesides work which was very bass-centric (see: Send Them) as well as many of his various mixes and it shouldn't surprise anyone that Shadow is now choosing to do some hyphy tracks.

Throw in considerations of his early Solesides work which was very bass-centric (see: Send Them)

Let us not "consider" that crap.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    his crates go 60K deep, why the hate ?

his crates go 60K deep, why the hate ?

How does that relate to the music he makes? I've known plenty of people that I respect as collectors but whose music didn't do anything for me.

Not even hating. Just wondering what that has to do with anything.