IRAN...watch ya self

pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
I just caught glimpse of a CNN segment with the author of this article about US plans to attack Iran that are ongoing as we speakhttp://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/060417fa_factand this shit has got me concerned. I was glad to hear that military pfficials (who have been very loyal to the president) would consider resingning if any serious course of action was undertaken. However I was very worried to hear that clandestine military activitiy, ethnic mobilization and info/target gatheriing was already underway.The american public are`nt aware of this but the Iranian gov sure is.Simply put (putting aside doomsday scenarios), it is deeply troubling to see the White House ignoring communication with Iran (who has been reaching out to the gov) and this story only shows Washignton is more ready to air strike than it is to talk.With such an unstable head of gov in Iran this could only lead to trouble and this pisses me off because it could lead to an irrational response to pressure that may create a dramatic situation in which the US is stuck having to react instead of avoiding conflict all together.I mean if the military stoof up to the gov it could actualy gain support from the constituency. But we could have another scapegoat event in our hands if something is done to react to the US soldiers in Iran.Basically, this is an unsettling development..With israel so close.europe not ready to counterweigh..UIran having not that much support...FuckThe states constantly accelerate change in delicate and volatile situations.

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Dude, Iran would be a problem. THey got money, and a real military. Like, an air force and shit, not just dudes with carbombs.

If we go to war with iran at this point, i think its a pretty clear sign of the friggin apocalypse.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Dude, Iran would be a problem. THey got money, and a real military. Like, an air force and shit, not just dudes with carbombs.

If we go to war with iran at this point, i think its a pretty clear sign of the friggin apocalypse.

No denying this

Shit would get ugly as fuck.

Israeli forces join in. Georgia and other US allies.
    Terrorism just fucking quadrupled

Scramble for oil ressources

Ira left to fend for itself

Would be disgusting and have an even deper impact on the middle east than thiS Iraq debacle.

Why the second term guys seriously.. up to now the handling of the one big problem has gotten worse

But seriously this Iran situatio is so complex and as Iraq has proven the US could not deal with this.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I'm fairly certain there are no records in iran, so, like, whatever.

All you Americans who are worried about getting conscripted are welcome to hang with me. Frankly, i might choose the army over fredericton, but still, the offer's open.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I don't believe the Bush Administration has enough support with the public or greater government to do much more than saber-rattling.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I don't believe the Bush Administration has enough support with the public or greater government to do much more than saber-rattling.

The interview I saw today seems to indicate this (The military would not be down)

I am simpy worried about the covert shit going down now. Stirring up trouble to destabilize Iran= already a concern.
    Something happens to those US soldiers there (as esher indicated in the interview they are not even special forces..thanks rumsfeld) and we get drama (scapegoat event..lets move em in!!!!)

War or not tension added in an already volatile place. Dont forget the states are gathering info they could strike inderictly using proxy states/military and they are on the ground to provide under the radar support

Just a lot of things could go worng and i hope they do not

HOWEVER the real bottom line is that the public should be more awaare of this.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

But you're also assuming that support makes a difference, which I don't think it does. Not a whole lot, at any rate. This is why they've been pushing for even more Executive branch powers--give Bush as much unilateral control as possible. The public doesn't like it? Congress doesn't like it? Fuck 'em--they've got no way to stop it, ya know?

It is quite scary, though. This is far beyond trying to goad Saddam into war by trying to bait him into shooting at a spy plane so you can then go in front of the country and say, "Saddam shot at a spy plane--we're goin' in!" The Bush Doctrine is about justifying preemptive strikes on the basis of, "Well, they looked at as funny!" (after all, we see how low the Bush administration has set the bar for "imminent threat"), and right now, we're getting into the "you lookin' at me[/b]?" phase. Throw in a pinch of messianic complex and two cups of "always fix intelligence around my decision instead of the other way around; distort intelligence as necessary," and we could be facing some extremely scary shit. I mean, preemptive tactical nuclear strikes? Fuck...remember when the U.S. fought against[/b] nuclear apocalypse?

I think it's a really sick sort of wishful thinking to believe that the Bush Administration will dive headfirst into World War III without the backing of congress or the public... not that they don't necessarily want to, but seriously, they can't get away with it.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I think it's a really sick sort of wishful thinking to believe that the Bush Administration will dive headfirst into World War III without the backing of congress or the public... not that they don't necessarily want to, but seriously, they can't get away with it.

Hey, I don't wish for it--I wish for the exact opposite, in fact. But I have to unfortunately conclude that it is a very real possibility given Bush's past track record, tactics, and patterns. Look at Iraq for a prime example. And now he's seriously considering preemptive nuclear strikes. I find that very fucking scary.

Hey, I don't wish for it--I wish for the exact opposite, in fact. But I have to unfortunately conclude that it is a very real possibility given Bush's past track record, tactics, and patterns. Look at Iraq for a prime example. And now he's seriously considering preemptive nuclear strikes. I find that very fucking scary.

He had a war to waste with Iraq - the majority of Americans WANTED war. We still wanted to avenge September 11th and it didn't matter who Mr. Bush put in the crosshairs.

He just doesn't have that public or political capital anymore.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    The full on war thing hopefully wont go down and as johnny has pointed out and as how the report has indicated there would be a strong lack of support
    Nevertheless the simple consideration by the part of the admin is unsettling.

However the US actions now are dangerous in the sense that they have huge pcatalyst potential. Even if there is no huge war this could fuck up the situation for our century even worse than it already is.

I wish local constituency would be more concerned with intl repercussions of their gov's action and generally more aware of the foreign policy dynamics
    (taht goes for any country)

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

He had a war to waste with Iraq - the majority of Americans WANTED war. We still wanted to avenge September 11th and it didn't matter who Mr. Bush put in the crosshairs.

He just doesn't have that public or political capital anymore.

He's an lame duck anyway, what does he care if we're all dragged into another unpopular war?

• I think it's a really sick sort of wishful thinking to believe that the Bush Administration will dive headfirst into World War III without the backing of congress or the public... not that they don't necessarily want to, but seriously, they can't get away with it.

As my mother-in-law says (right before making some old-school Italian ward-off-the-bad-luck sign) 'From your mouth to God's ears...."

• And now he's seriously considering preemptive nuclear strikes.

There's not a snowball's chance in hell this will go down.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    it is deeply troubling to see the White House ignoring communication with Iran (who has been reaching out to the gov) and this story only shows Washignton is more ready to air strike than it is to talk.

I guess I don't buy that the Iranian Government has been 'reaching out' in any real way, but I do believe their President leans quite seriously to the unstable side of the street. The problem now is that our misadventure in Iraq has only served to enbolden states like Iran and militant factions in Syria and Pakistan. A direct military action on our part would no doubt be a catalyst for a serious meltdown of what remaining support we might have in the region(which is already in serious trouble). Unfortunately, Iran seems to be relishing a showdown at some point. Scary stuff.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts

Popular support would obviously be lacking to have a war with Iran, but that may not make a difference: The US wouldn't deploy any significant # of ground troops. There was a report in (I believe ) the Guardian this week saying the British home office had been told it was all but inevitable, The US would start with boat strikes at Iran's misslie defense system, then bomb the shit out of em from above. As long as there's not a serious ground war there aren't American bodies "in" Iran and public support isn't that much of an issue.

I can't recall his name off top but a highly esteemed Arab dude who got the Nobel Peace prize for Nuclear non-proliferation work last year, he went to Iran and the UN as this situation started escalating..wrote a proposal saying ' what if Iran's nuclear power facility is run and monitored by the UN and full transparency is maintained? Iran and UN said "yes". US said "no". huh?

This is a direct result of Iraq, if somebody kicked in your neighbors door, killed a few of the neighbors and was still chilling next door like business as usual, would you want to have a "deterrant"? of course. and most of the Shia majority party in Iraq is pro-Iran. US is not feeling that in the least.

The US striking Iran is not something I want to see. But listen to their statements on Iran they nearly mirror what was being said about Iraq. Lame duck or not, I think we'd be wise not to underestimate what Bush is capable of..

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    This guy with Nuclear weapons 5-10 years down the road is scary...

Maybe in a few years all my worthless Ali Akbar Khan LP's will be worth a fortune....[/b]

Tehran, Iran - Reports by NPR and AFP claim that Iran's president, Mahmud Ahmadinejad, has banned the broadcast of western music on radio and TV on public networks. He described western music as "decadent."

In comments to local press, Ahmadinejad said: "from now on TV and radio should avoid promoting western decadent music and favor national and traditional music, as well as relaxing music."

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

Tehran, Iran - Reports by NPR and AFP claim that Iran's president, Mahmud Ahmadinejad, has banned the broadcast of western music on radio and TV on public networks. He described western music as "decadent."

In comments to local press, Ahmadinejad said: "from now on TV and radio should avoid promoting western decadent music and favor national and traditional music, as well as relaxing music."

I can agree with the above. I mean, HAVE YOU HEARD this "Southern rap"??????

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

I was glad to hear that military pfficials (who have been very loyal to the president) would consider resingning if any serious course of action was undertaken. However I was very worried to hear that clandestine military activitiy, ethnic mobilization and info/target gatheriing was already underway.

Not sure if this information was disseminated in a mainstream fashion, whether or not the general public would react in a manner hostile to the administration; it's not the prospect of war that causes concern per se, but the notion of losing lives - and this doesn't take into account the degree of morbidity, which is guaranteed to be far greater than the mortality documented... Despite the somewhat delusional fantasies of Rumsfeld, you can't fight a proxy war effectively w/ artificial intelligence by way of robots/etc. - you still need to have troops on the ground, which presents the dilemma as aforementioned...

It's the Monroe Doctrine w/ few if any physical limits -
    http://www.newamericancentury.org/

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    This guy with Nuclear weapons 5-10 years down the road is scary...

Maybe in a few years all my worthless Ali Akbar Khan LP's will be worth a fortune....[/b]

I think all these dudes need to listen to a lot more relaxing music. They are acting way too stressed out.

I don't believe that there is any way in hell the US would invade at this point. Over stretched military, an unhappy republican party and a much more fearsome opponent equals a no go. Iran is four times the size of Iraq and has three times the number of people. Unlike Iraq, Iran is fiercely unified along nationalist lines. They will fight to the death, even for mullahs they despise. Trust me we ain't going near that place.

• screw you peaceniks. if the middle east doesnt step up its democracy game its gettin bombed on. its that simple.

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    I'm fairly certain there are no records in iran, so, like, whatever.

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4792137643

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    screw you peaceniks. if the middle east doesnt step up its democracy game its gettin bombed on. its that simple.

Right, cause united state's democracy is so game tight.

SMH @ morons like you.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

Anti-mullah rap is new hit in Iran
    Tue. 28 Feb 2006
    Iran Focus

Tehran, Iran, Feb. 28 ??? Rap music is rapidly becoming a popular in Iran and a new CD which mocks the Islamic Republic???s ruling ayatollahs is taking the country by storm.

The latest in the line of music making fun of Iran???s top clerics is an album made by a group called Dalu.

The artists have taken popular rap beats and replaced the lyrics with their own versions, blasting the ayatollahs iron rule, incompetence in economic affairs, and even their unfashionable attire.

Iranian youths, who make up over 70 percent of the total population, have taken a liking to rap music, and the combo of hip beats and anti-mullah lyrics have been turning into a huge hit in Iran???s urban areas.

The music is banned by Iran???s strict cultural vetting body even without the sharp lyrics for being too Western.

• TobiTobi 187 Posts

Iranian youths, who make up over 70 percent of the total population, have taken a liking to rap music, and the combo of hip beats and anti-mullah lyrics have been turning into a huge hit in Iran???s urban areas.

I think the US and EU-Countries should wait until the problem is solved by the Iranians themselves. If we consider the fact that 70% of Iran's population consists of youths it is obvious to me that this "Mullah-Regime" will die out sooner or later. The vast majority of those youths aren't militant maniacs like their president, they are average people who are interested in music, partying and living a normal life. US and Europe should try to strengthen the Iranian youth and opposition rather than thinking of military actions. Those will only lead into desaster and encourage more radicals to fight against the west. When I think back what happened after those cartoons of the prophet were published I don't want to know what will happen when the Iran is attacked...

• screw you peaceniks. if the middle east doesnt step up its democracy game its gettin bombed on. its that simple.

Right, cause united state's democracy is so game tight.

SMH @ morons like you.

who cares about democracy honestly? In the quoted post I was using democracy as a euphemism for 'fall the fuck back'. Read between the lines hippy

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    In comments to local press, Ahmadinejad said: "from now on TV and radio should avoid promoting western decadent music and favor national and traditional music, as well as relaxing music[/b]."

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    RODS FROM GOD: The rods are currently just a concept--and have been since the early 1980s--but, if the myriad technical and political hurdles to deployment could be overcome, the system could represent a tremendous leap forward in the military's ability to destroy underground, hardened facilities of the type that have allowed Iran and other rogue states to violate the Nuclear Proliferation Treaty with impunity.

HOW DO THE RODS WORK: The system would likely be comprised of tandem satellites, one serving as a communications platform, the other carrying an indeterminate number of tungsten rods, each up to 20 feet in length and 1 foot in diameter. These rods, which could be dropped on a target with as little as 15 minutes notice, would enter the Earth's atmosphere at a speed of 36,000 feet per second--about as fast as a meteor. Upon impact, the rod would be capable of producing all the effects of an earth-penetrating nuclear weapon, without any of the radioactive fallout.

No muss, no fuss.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts

I think the US and EU-Countries should wait until the problem is solved by the Iranians themselves. If we consider the fact that 70% of Iran's population consists of youths it is obvious to me that this "Mullah-Regime" will die out sooner or later. The vast majority of those youths aren't militant maniacs like their president, they are average people who are interested in music, partying and living a normal life. US and Europe should try to strengthen the Iranian youth and opposition rather than thinking of military actions. Those will only lead into desaster and encourage more radicals to fight against the west. When I think back what happened after those cartoons of the prophet were published I don't want to know what will happen when the Iran is attacked...

well said man.

it's a mess when you got a right wing fundamentalist on one side flexing with another right wing fundamentalist flexing on the other side.

just like how the majority of US citizens don't think their president best represents them, is the same for Iran right now.

all of a sudden I hear Black Sabbath's 'War Pigs' in my head.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    RODS FROM GOD: The rods are currently just a concept--and have been since the early 1980s--but, if the myriad technical and political hurdles to deployment could be overcome, the system could represent a tremendous leap forward in the military's ability to destroy underground, hardened facilities of the type that have allowed Iran and other rogue states to violate the Nuclear Proliferation Treaty with impunity.

HOW DO THE RODS WORK: The system would likely be comprised of tandem satellites, one serving as a communications platform, the other carrying an indeterminate number of tungsten rods, each up to 20 feet in length and 1 foot in diameter. These rods, which could be dropped on a target with as little as 15 minutes notice, would enter the Earth's atmosphere at a speed of 36,000 feet per second--about as fast as a meteor. Upon impact, the rod would be capable of producing all the effects of an earth-penetrating nuclear weapon, without any of the radioactive fallout.

No muss, no fuss.

Let me guess, your family owns several tungsten mines.

• do you really believe bush is a right wing fundamentalist?