DIY record rack

DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
i haven't been contributing much to this forum for while but for those who want to build their own record rack (a lot bigger than expedit) and have basic carpentary skills here is some info on how to do it...Heres one i made 6 months ago It is made out of 9mm plywood and cost me around A$200 to make (US$150) and can hold around 3000lps (I guess). The plans i have submitted here are for a slightly bigger version and I recommend 12mm structural plywood as I had to reinforce mine with pine battens at the back. Sorry for non metric countries but you should be able to work it out (12.5mm =1 inch). The rack is designed to easily diassemble and will pack flat if you have to move.The dimensions of this rack are 2.3m wide x2.4m high by 0.4m deep. It is also important to screw it into the wall behind it with a batten for safety reasons.Here we goyou will need 5 sheets of 12mm structural plywood 1200mm wide by 2400mm long (this is a standard size) When you purchase it ask them to cut it into 400mm wide 2400 long sections (3 per sheet 15 pieces). You will need 14 pieces 400mm x 2400mm for this task.here are the plans You will have to make 13mm cuts into the ply 200 mm long (half the width see plan) As all the pieces will interlock like 2 combs when assembled You can cut it yourself or find a joinery or timber worker to do it for you (they usually can be bribed with beer or marijuana) Hint: mark just 1 vertical and 1 horizontal piece and use them as a template and clamp the rest together when you cut. You will need to cut 6 horizontal pieces indentically and 7 vertical pieces indentically. 1 base piece is just to protect the floor and is a simple rectangle.When all pieces have been cut assembly is pretty easy but you may need another set of hands to help. It is important to assemble it in the room you are going to use it in . Assemble it on the ground and stand it up. The pieces will slot into each other and its strength comes for this type of join but you may want to use some pine battens at the back for reinforcing.Once assembled stand it up 2man job and nail to a stud in the wall in a few places just to be safe (mine isn't nailed to the wall)You can alter the plan to suit your wall dimensions For some of you it may be easier to just buy an expedit but where i was living there was no IKea and this rack is a lot bigger 2.3 x 2.4m compared to 1.5 x1.5m (expedit) and will hold a lot more lps and be a lot stronger. The rack I made was stained and then painted with polyurethane coating.

Comments

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    great plans man... im thinking of going the expedit route myself and i've always held out due to the shitiness of the fibre board construction and those weird ikea peg fasteners prety much guarenteeing its gonna be wack if you dissassemble it reassemble it.

this is vastly superior.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    I recently had to move from Cairns to Mullumbimby in Australia(2000km) and the rack survived diassembly and reassembly and fits together beautifully. I am not a master carpenter but was able to make it easily enough myself. If it's too hard find a skillful relative to help. I think after making this all myself doing all the cutting, next time i would mark the 2 template pieces (horizontal and vertical) and pay to have it cut as most timber yards or joinerys have the gear that could cut it all in no time. In Australia a lot of these guys working there would cut it on a friday afternoon for a slab of beer (24cans) (make sure they get the beer after doing the job.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    make sure they get the beer after doing the job.
    I can relate to this statement,people tend to want to drag out the work when they get paid up front.I like your custom made shelf design it's cool.

make sure they get the beer after doing the job.
    I can relate to this statement,people tend to want to drag out the work when they get paid up front.I like your custom made shelf design it's cool.
    I meant so they dont get pissed before they start cutting the timber out and fuck it up

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    WHOA, is that Ron Carter album autographed?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    that looks cool and all, but isnt it hard to get lp's out of the higher up shelves?

An expedit is so cheap, you can basicly throw it away if you have to move and get another one and put it together in like 30 minutes.

Id still say thats the most advisable route.

that looks cool and all, but isnt it hard to get lp's out of the higher up shelves?

An expedit is so cheap, you can basicly throw it away if you have to move and get another one and put it together in like 30 minutes.

Id still say thats the most advisable route.

And I also see The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown. Atlantic version or Track?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Where's Rap79? Doesn't he have custom bins?

I am very interested in those, particularly

Where's Rap79? Doesn't he have custom bins?

I am very interested in those, particularly

Right now, it's Bobby Byrd.

the crazy world of Arthur Brown lp is on Polydor international (Australian pressing)(not so rare) And the Ron carter lp is signed by Herbie, Ron, Billy Cobham and Hubert Laws

I have no trouble reaching the top layer of lps but I only put ornaments on the absolute top shelf.(I am 6ft 1 )
    The expedit is A$70 more expensive and holds a lot less records plus for me I get a kind of satisfaction from making my own shit.I reckon this project is for the guys who enjoy making stuff and have some skills in this area.

Here are some examples of my labour s of love

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    respect

this is a good thread

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    I recently had to move from Cairns to Mullumbimby in Australia(2000km)

hey wub wub - are there many records in Cairns? I might get there in a few months time

and where is Mullumbimby - somewhere in Western Australia ?!

the crazy world of Arthur Brown lp is on Polydor international (Australian pressing)(not so rare)

I should've asked what pressing it was as well. Here in the U.S., the Atlantic one was pressed and recalled, before it was released on the more common Track label.

And the Ron carter lp is signed by Herbie, Ron, Billy Cobham and Hubert Laws

That's great. I saw the handwriting and figured I would ask, as it didn't look like someone's personal scribbles.

I recently had to move from Cairns to Mullumbimby in Australia(2000km)

hey wub wub - are there many records in Cairns? I might get there in a few months time

and where is Mullumbimby - somewhere in Western Australia ?!

There are no no records in Cairns unless you count Kamahl, Bert Kaempert,James Last etc. I maybe found 10 decent records there last year so it's slim pickings. It is a beautiful place though. Mullumbimby is in northern NSW (15mins from Byron Bay) and is famous for it's Marijuana production more than anything plus Byron area has some great surf and as a result I will be hunting out some rare OZ psych surf soundtracks and the like

Tamam Shud

• lucerolucero 425 Posts

There are no no records in Cairns unless you count Kamahl, Bert Kaempert,James Last etc. I maybe found 10 decent records there last year so it's slim pickings.

arrghh, the australian plague strikes agian .. damn

thanks though, I'm sure you'll pull more in the byron area (I gotta get up there sometime - supposedly one of the most beautiful spots in the world people), that tamam shud is steep .. must be better than 'morning of the earth'

There is a local guy who used to have a store in town who sells on ebay and i noticed he has sold a few big ticket items (OZ psych rock rare).He advertises in the local paer looking for records and as i am new to town I was thinking of putting an ad in as well but i better do some further research on OZ psych rock. It would be interesing to know what he paid some old surfing hippy for some of those $500 lps.
    Apart from the bigger cities in Australia it is very difficult to find good funk/soul or jazz.Our dollar bin specials aren't Cti but more likely Richard Clayderman. After living in Japan for 3 years the only thing I missed was the diggin there.

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    Cosign.

The Xpedit is wack!! There I said it.

No back, too deep, hollowcore pressboard pieces of shit that don't hold many records.

Nice custom job man!

-a

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    the crazy world of Arthur Brown lp is on Polydor international (Australian pressing)(not so rare) And the Ron carter lp is signed by Herbie, Ron, Billy Cobham and Hubert Laws

I have no trouble reaching the top layer of lps but I only put ornaments on the absolute top shelf.(I am 6ft 1 )
    The expedit is A$70 more expensive and holds a lot less records plus for me I get a kind of satisfaction from making my own shit.I reckon this project is for the guys who enjoy making stuff and have some skills in this area.

Here are some examples of my labour s of love

whoah, well yeah, if you're a master carpenter and shit, then go ahead and do your own thing!

• here are the plans

I approve of this thread.

DJ Wub Wub, you do good work!

The plans for your shelf are pretty much identical to mine, except my shelves are deeper, and have rollers underneath (not that its easy to roll when fully loaded).

just though I'd share my homegrown:

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

Wow, you really are Scandinavian! That's very dope.

And much respect to WubWub, as well. Thank you for sharing that.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Excellent thread... now, if only the guy that built the combination bar/bench for his decks would post some pics...

They look sweet though as you said it would be hard to move when fully laden. Are the solid panels doors.They look cool you could design them so you can insert lps for display. I though about building mine with doors that would display lp covers so you could also tell what genre/label was behind.

I am thinking of making another small cart on rollers to have near my decks as my big rack is in another room to the decks.
    I am not a master carpenter by any means and with the drums I mainly did the sanding and coating and assembly. Though the bearing edges and snare bed are a little trickier (we had a master woodturner do the turning) check them at My drum business

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    The basic problem w/ American culture summed up in one sentence.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    This is a shelf I built before I bought my expedits. It was fun to build, but now I'm more inclined to just cop the shelving I need at Ikea instead of going the DIY route. Dimensions: 74" X 43" X 12". It's built like a tank, and I forget how much all of the materials cost, but it was quite a bit more than an expedit...or two.

• super secret lab entrance???
    pull the Endless Flight to enter...

• darendaren 28 Posts

This is the only record shelf unit I've built, but since we have people posting their work, I decided I might as well share.

The thing I was going for was making multiple units of this, since I'm just a college student who ends up moving all the time. I should paint the next one I'm making.

The great thing is the university having the facilites to actually build whatever projects I have in mind.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Nice job to WubWub (I want to live where you live) and Waffle. Here's the WaxPoetics DIY shelves that I constructed: