B.Cause Matthew Africa: SOUL BOULDERS Completed!

peacefulrotationpeacefulrotation 3,481 Posts
edited December 2015 in Announcements
I posted a little 13 minute unfinished soul mix a while back...a mix that probably would not have been completed if not for some encouraging folks on here. Matthew Africa in particular, asking me "either finish that mix homie, or step aside and let me get on.." I guess a little of both of those requests were met, and dude ended up rolling through the crib with some incredible soul records that eventually became the 1st half of this mix. (I believe my son oversaw much of our project while driving his trucks all over the room and records) Overall the music here is all slow, funky, soulful and sometimes psychedelic but has additionally a similar but indefinable quality...'haunting' is the closest term I can conjure. This mix is primarily built on 45's but there are a few lp cuts thrown in for good measure. So the homie Asprin has hooked it again with a gritty smoked stone design, & now we have a product I think you will dig thoroughly! I took the order in today and am happy to say we are now accepting pre-orders for these babies. Comes in a nice overwrapped jewel case, and is a tad over 73 minutes in length.

Thanks again, soulstrut peoples...couldn't do it without y'all.
TAGGED:

Comments

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Damn... that looks dope (as I pull my Symphonic Four 45 out of the 'use in next mix' pile )

I'll pick one up next time I'm in the shop.

DJ Ferrari

• YOOO! Was this that mix that you where playing on Saturday at GM!!!?!??

DUDE

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    HHHHAAAAYYYYLLLLE YES!!!! Can't wait to hear this! PEOPLES ARE SMASHING 2006 TO PIECES!!!

• I look forward to the pleasure of paying for my copy.

You should try to get this into Entertainment...um...Monthly.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    water color

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Preordered!

Clear out your PM box, I'm gonna be sending daily didjagettityet? emails.

• Options
    Love Misunderstood is

K in Canada.

• PAID!
    i'm in the mixing down process for my new one
    i will send you a copy when its done

• awesome, thanks all y'all for the pre-orders and good werds!

After this tax headache is finished I will arrange some bites for preview.

• there heeeeeeerrrrrreeeeeee!

I'm printing postage for all the pre-orders as I type this.

Sincerely, thanks to all who have pre-ordered in good faith.

All others, these are now available for instant stoned soul coppage.

• UnDos3UnDos3 81 Posts
    I haven't noticed any copies of this at Amoeba. release date?

• I haven't noticed any copies of this at Amoeba. release date?

The CD is available now at Groove Merchant. It should be at the Berkeley Amoeba tomorrow and the SFC Amoeba within the week. Thanks for checking for it!

• +

=

• You've got cash!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    For real, for real, I cannot wait to get this.

• good schitt y'all...

Will, thanks for your encouragement from the get, BTW.

Drewn, you should be gettin' that thang any minute now...pre-orders shipped Sat/Sun.

pre-orders shipped Sat/Sun.

makin' waves in the mixtape game

// perspective camera<br />camera {<br />  location  <0.5, 0.5, -1.0><br />  look_at   <0.5, 0.5,  0.0><br />  right     x*image_width/image_height<br />  translate <-0.5, -0.5, 0.5><br />  rotate	<70, 0, 0><br />  translate <0.5, 0.5, -0.5><br />}<br /><br />// set a color of the background<br />background { color rgb <0.2, .1, .1> } <br /><br /><br />// create a regular point light source<br />light_source {<br />  0*x                  // light's position (translated below)<br />  color rgb <1,1,1>    // light's color<br />  translate <-20, 40, -20><br />}<br /><br />// create a box that extends between the 2 specified points<br />box {<br />  < 0,  0, 0>  // one corner position <X1 Y1 Z1><br />  < 1,  1,  1>  // other corner position <X2 Y2 Z2><br />  pigment {<br />  	image_map {<br />  		jpeg "boulders.jpg"<br />  	}<br />  }<br />  finish {<br />  	ambient 1<br />  }<br />  no_shadow<br />  translate <-0.5, -0.5, 0.5><br />  rotate	<70, 0, 0><br />  rotate    <0, 0, 180><br />  translate <0.5, 0.5, -0.5><br />}<br /><br />plane {<br />  y, 0.5<br />  pigment { color rgb <0,0,0> }<br />  finish {reflection 1}<br />  // texture component<br />  normal {<br />    ripples .6 frequency 2 phase 1-clock <br />    translate <0, 0, 0><br />    scale 0.02       // any transformations<br />  }<br />  translate <0.5, 0, -0.5><br /><br />} 

• Wow, this is really good, everyone should cop this one. Good work guys!!

• ps thank you TOM.

Got mine on Tuesday. Needless to say, it's been on constant (peaceful) rotation. Dang, I think I need to make a constant rotation graem.

PS--if anyone wants to make the ripple effect on their favorite jpg, the above code works in POVRAY 3.6

• Got mine on Tuesday. Needless to say, it's been on constant (peaceful) rotation. Dang, I think I need to make a constant rotation graem.

Thanks, homie! Glad you're enjoying it.

I was also juiced to learn that BJ over at B-Sides named Soul Boulders "BJ's SUPERfantasticGO!USA!numberoneELVIS pick of the week." Go Brigidope!

• pknypkny 549 Posts

You've got cash!

• UPDATE:

Those who want to cop some rocks can now do so at Groove Merchant (SF), Amoeba (Berkeley and, I think, SF), Rasputin's (Berkeley and, perhaps, elsewhere) and B-Sides Records (Berkeley).

For those who don't leave the house, you can get your fix via paypal-age to [email]matthewafrica@hotmail.com[/email] or [Email]djbcause@sbcglobal.net.[/Email] $10 gets you the CD in the US,
    Canada $11, Europe/UK $14, down under/japan $15. Soon we hope to have the CD available elsewhere online, too.

The board's been relatively quiet on the CD (hmmm... maybe a little TOO quiet), but the feedback I've received from those who have hollered has been outstanding. I quoth the big homie, O-Dub, from his www.soul-sides.com post: "As for Soul Boulders, it's a new mix-CD of 'slow, funky soul burners' put together by a tag team of two of my favorite Bay Area DJs: Matthew Africa and B. Cause. Between the two of them, they have crates so deep you could drown in them (and believe me, I'd want to). Seriously, the selections on here are so damn good, I'm already started to plot ways to cop a few of the titles for my own stash."

Flavor for the non-believers.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Matt - I don't know how to explain the board's silence but I haven't even heard the damn thing yet and people are telling me it changed their life. Going to pick up stock for the shop when I'm in the Bay next week and I am eagerly anticipating having my face melted off.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Soul Boulders cost me $38.

That's how much gas I used crawling around on a cool Arizona night with the CD on repeat, thick Syrup Soul slowly oozing from the Infinity's in the door panel.

I swear I saw a rattlesnake slither in the sugar puddles I left behind, shedding it's skin and rebirthing with a new rhythm in its' writhing.

Thank you, P. Ro and M. Africa.

Herm

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    Matt - I don't know how to explain the board's silence but I haven't even heard the damn thing yet and people are telling me it changed their life. Going to pick up stock for the shop when I'm in the Bay next week and I am eagerly anticipating having my face melted off.

This cd is really that blap. Been bumping it real tough. Its unusual to hear a cd with so many raers that is actually dope musically.

• you guys rule. Herm, did you get the blow up doll in the box too?

Wizzle, you replay any of those joints yet? If so I wanna hurr it.

• Soul Boulders cost me $38.

That's how much gas I used crawling around on a cool Arizona night with the CD on repeat, thick Syrup Soul slowly oozing from the Infinity's in the door panel.

I swear I saw a rattlesnake slither in the sugar puddles I left behind, shedding it's skin and rebirthing with a new rhythm in its' writhing.

Herm

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Beautiful stuff. A wonderful collaboration. It's perfect for right now.

And I could listen to Josh scratch all day. So smooth. Slumpsided-like.

[derail]
    Is the Erma Franklin "I'm Just Not Ready For Love" that appears on the mix Shout 234 w/ "The Right To Cry" on the flip? I have Shout 230 w/ "Open Up Your Soul" on the flip and I always assumed the two 45s were the same version with different tunes on the flip, but the one on Soul Boulders has background vocals that don't appear on Shout 230.

That's a favorite tune of mine. The Ikettes do it as well, not as stunning vocally, but the track is great.

Baby you know I dig you
    And I dig you inside out
    But when it comes to loving
    Should be sure beyond all doubt

[/derail]