Post Austin Post

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Got in a few hours ago......had a blast as usual...getting tougher to make major scores but that's true everywhere these days....one big find was a Starcrost for $20.00 by a west coast dealer.....great S.A. LP by Utopia for $20.00(pre-show) by legendary N.O. collector S*o*t Loopden......Got to meet a few top notch folks from SS including basketball maven and straight up good guy GenePontecorvo, Pointman and LePoohPooh(sic?)from San Antone who had the sickest records at the show.....all three are real dudes.Dinner and Hotel each night were a blast...Saturday night quite a few strutters showed up with each one taking a turn playing some amazing vinyl....the ones that really stood out for me were Aleit playing a D.C. gospel LP that sounded like it was from The Church Of Gil-Scott Heron......DJCoolhands threw down a few killers with an uptempo gospel funk tune that closed with what sounded like James Brown with his pants on fire.....Tuneup blew minds and melted faces with an incredible NYC Latin LP that had everyone in the rooms jaw on the ground, regardless of what their music of choice was(Metal. Psych, Soul, Funk, Jazz), NRich knocked us over with a two-sided psych monster and CoffinJoe made skin crawl with a Public Service Announcement disc with a cut of Sharon Tate promoting the NRA!!!!. Tons of great stuff played but those are the one's I'll remember 5 months from now.First photo is a shot of the Record Store score in Ohio that Austin big-wig Doug Hanners was in on......also on display were lots of posters and promo items pre-1970 from the same store.......rest of the shots are various displays around the show.......I'll post more including some Strut shots if y'all are interested.

Comments

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    psych

What was the Relatively Clean Rivers going for?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    psych

What was the Relatively Clean Rivers going for?

I'm pretty sure it was $600.00

• did people bring cut out pictures and have large scale race debates?

One day I will find that Earl Carter in a thrift shop for 0.95

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I'm less interested in finding out what records were pulled than I am what food was eaten and enjoyed.

Record-wise, I did alright:

Bought a bunch of stuff from Carlos for cheap. A couple from Mandrill, a couple from Harvey Mandel, a Nat Adderley, etc.

Found a brand new copy of the album Gregory D and Mannie Fresh did back in '89.

Treated myself with a clean copy of Lou Donaldson's Pretty Things.

I don't know. I didn't grab anything all that spectacular, but I filled all sorts of holes in my collection with commons to semi-raers.

Eating-wise over the course of the weekend I had:

Beef brisket and banana bread pudding at Ruby's
    Roast beef po-boy and peach cobbler at Gene's
    Migas and plantains at Elsi's
    Daily stops at Casey's New Orleans Sno-Balls

NGOK blew up an ACLU benefit at the Victory Grill Saturday night along with Bavu Blakes, Element7d, and Global.

But the coup of the weekend was definitely:

My wife hooked up a Juneteenth weekend/Saturday afternoon NGOK-along-with-the-Reagan-Soul-Raiders set to be performed in Gene's parking lot!!!!!! !!!!!!

• iconicon 86 Posts
    The ARC is a great place to pick up disco goodies because noone in this part of the country cares about it, so I came away with:

foster jackson group - feel the spirit ($6 sealed)
    universal energy - disco energy ($3)

The rest at still reasonable prices:
    sypher - got to be right
    king david - stoop down baby (sealed)
    max berlin - elle et moi
    shades of love - come inside
    first class - don't listen to your friends
    master jay and master dee - tsob
    willie wood - woody's rap

Traded a Nick Drake LP for Xingu.

Aleit and dude next to him had some of the best picks, nice guys.

Guy selling store stock 45's that kept sneaking puffs from his cigarette had his boxes labeled soul/funk/belgian and white gospel.

Worst look goes to the guy who approached the dude looking through the disco crate at my booth, interupted him, and said "Hey, we're selling disco records down at my booth on special." You may think that since my girl was working my booth that those weak sales tactics were going to pass, but you need to take that shit somewhere else. You know who you are if you're reading this saying, "Huh I wonder if he's talking about me."

did people bring cut out pictures and have large scale race debates?

No debates and no lizard people sightings.

Friday and Saturday dinners were a blast with good food and good company including strutters CoolChris, CoffinJoe, Tuneup, Glockose and Aleit along with W*ll of Showandtellmusic.com fame, Sc*tt and St*ve from N.O., my daughter who actually enjoys hanging with record geeks and many, many Margaritas.

The Mexican Seafood in the spot attached to the Show in the Flea Market was so necessary with their oversized shrimp cocktails being

Hoovers Friday - Boudin as an apetizer, Baked ham with Jezebel sauce, jalapeno spinach and home made mac & cheese.

Polvo Saturday - Choriquezo and Espaditas as starters.....Carne Guisada as the main and many pitchers of dark/light Cazadores Tequila Margaritas.

Newcastle appeared to be the beverage of choice at the Hotel and the "bubble machine" was in full effect.

Some more photos....unfortunately not all of them came out well and quite a few strutters are missing from the gallery.

Well known Texas Music historian Pete B from Houston with a couple of Thrift Store finds

T*m with NRA promo LP with the creepy Sharon Tate PSA spot

Tuneup with mind melting Latin LP!!!

Dallas legend David Foreman

Some early room action

Couple of the better finds of the show....Sc*tt with killer Utopia LP

Don't show, don't tell

Double D*ves Austin/Houston connection

Psych maven and nice guy M*ke S*do from L.A.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    tuneup = spiccoli ?!?

Didn't realize that Aaron had a strut handle. Interesting...

Dude on the left, even when he gets handed cash, maintains such a someone-just-stole-my-bike disposition. And he's from Austin? May the spring season bring out his inner smile.

Dude on the left, digs deeper and unearths more great and varied sounds than just about anyone I've ever run into...[/b]

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Dude on the left, even when he gets handed cash, maintains such a someone-just-stole-my-bike disposition. And he's from Austin? May the spring season bring out his inner smile.

it's his poker face, bra.
    you don't even know.

• It was an awesome and exhausting weekend. Met a lot of SSers, top-notch cats all of them. Scored a ton of records, most on the cheap, but I'm easy to please in that regard. Can't wait for the Fall.

Rockadelic Rich is one of the nicest guys ever. Thanks for the kind words bro. It was cool hangin and talkin records. Like I said, wish I had a mix tape of the stuff y'all were playing. Amazing.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    tuneup = spiccoli ?!?

I personally find this extremely funny...

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Nope that's not Cozy Powell....

That's Bob from the Philly area....real nice guy with some killer LP's.

All of the Strutters that I met and hung out with like Aa*on, A*i, Ch*is, Ti*, Da*e(s), N*th*n and Bri*an are just down to earth folks who are laid back, never seem to obsess over vinyl and are more than willing to share info and tunes.

Hopefully some of them will relate their experiences and more of you will be motivated to come down to the Austin Show before it's a thing of the past.

The only asshole was me when I asked DJCoolhands to take off a Disco/Gospel/Rap record he was playing because one of the sounds eminating from it was piercing my brain.

Otherwise everyone was into listening to everything from Metal to Gospel to Incredibly Strange Real People Insanity to Hard Core Funk.

And make no mistake, when it's all said and done CoolChris is the man.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Dude on the left, digs deeper and unearths more great and varied sounds than just about anyone I've ever run into...[/b]

D**e is good people! Thanks to his hospitality and patience I found my personal grail One Sheet

Can't tell you how much I have loved that movie since I first saw it back in the mid-80's.

I got to meet Jan Micheal-Vincent roughly 12 years ago. He was drunk and singing with Soul Hat at the Back Room in Austin.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I had a good time all around over the weekend. Busting into the hotel room psych party with crew was fun.

Best part for me was probably the sunday night trades with lady fingers aka coolhands.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    but the question remainz... do you actually like that First Gear record?

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    but the question remainz... do you actually like that First Gear record?

It's in the outbin like a mofo.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

Nope that's not Cozy Powell....

That's Bob from allentown[/b] ....real nice guy with some killer LP's.

All of the Strutters that I met and hung out with like Aa*on, A*i, Ch*is, Ti*, Da*e(s), N*th*n and Bri*an are just down to earth folks who are laid back, never seem to obsess over vinyl and are more than willing to share info and tunes.

Hopefully some of them will relate their experiences and more of you will be motivated to come down to the Austin Show before it's a thing of the past.

The only asshole was me when I asked DJCoolhands to take off a Disco/Gospel/Rap record he was playing because one of the sounds eminating from it was piercing my brain.

Otherwise everyone was into listening to everything from Metal to Gospel to Incredibly Strange Real People Insanity to Hard Core Funk.

And make no mistake, when it's all said and done CoolChris is the man.

rockadelic & fam, gulf coast collectros = most fun record show ever !!!!

thanks a million

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    no rockadelic photos???
    i'm picturing a big football coach looking dude with lambchops

no rockadelic photos???
    i'm picturing a big football coach looking dude with lambchops

I think CoffinJoe might post a few.....Rockadelic = Big guy 6:3/260 with 2 feet of blond hair and no sideburns to speak of......ugly too.

aleit crosses the line of collectro to show dealer

david begins the official hazing of new dealer

money on crates, sure sign of offical dealerdom

tsl steve can't believe the contents of these crates, then realizes their aleit's

strutter roll call

2 hobos in 1 photo

new dealers find it hard to party & work

someone's wife is very happy with all the dunza brought home

hardest digging strutter ?

toronto-columbus posse

best deal in the room, who found the $1,000 surprise ?

souldrop sez a blanket over crates shouldn't impede the dig

taco monroe is ready for action

milwaukee's finest

other mad suspects

charlotte's loss will be daytona's gain ?

goldmine crew tries to find a clue

most likely to grab & ruff up a teenager who didn't steal anything, BAN

2 of 3 florence rockers & infamous chris pete in white t

"english" guy from mobile nyc 7" collectrros keep talking about

dallas david & the 45 vacum cleaner

stuttgart crew breaks into a sweat over allman bro raers

dude reminds me of the evil clown in spawn

famous screenwriter/director record dealer

young japanese digger strategy session/smoke break

brooklyntexicanhotlanta & westcoastswede & l.a. garage45 diggers

45 fools, including bob minor, who kept coming over to david & me
    asking how the "colored" part of town is
    wtf?

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    the show was a lot of fun, mainly seeing old friends and meeting new faces.
    I should have a pictoral rundown soon.

Did well 45 wise grabbing many longtime wants and some unexpected finds, thanks to some luck and to a Houstonian 45 collector. Also picked up a nice cache of funky jazz lps.
    Got a contact high from some of Tuneups scores, dude cleaned up. Finally met up with Ironfeet, very nice fellow and not a pushup in sight!

The funk night at Red's Scoot Inn was great, a lot of big time collectors were on hand with a 45 trade happening mid night remniscent of a soul all nighter. Got some great pictures and met up with a lot of cool folks that night including Andy from Milwaulkee (can't remember your name on here). hobo_d and local Austinite G*be saved the day by fixing some audio technicalities early in the show.
    Saw Taco Monrerog who had some great rekkids and 1/2 of Rehash at the show, glad they made it out.

The hotel listening party was great fun with many different sounds brought to the table.
    Aleit had some fantastic records to play. Sc*tt completely blew my mind with his recent finds, which I won't soon forget, my face is still partially melted. The 'elders' brought the pyschish sounds back in check later in the night with some fantastic records with Rockadelic bringing out some heavy artillery. All in all a great night for music. There were some folks I didn't get to formally introduce myself to that showed up a little later.

Got about 4 hours of sleep a night, but it was worth it.

fastest trip home ever, less than 30 hours door to door

my show finds/trades

road finds

party room stuff

always open a sealed record,
    there could be a version of "papa's got a brand new bag"
    or some scray shit

some kind of synchonisity of messed up records story behind this

more from the show

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts