Is There A Site About LA Soul/Jazz/Funk LP's?

Dabney_SoulmanDabney_Soulman 890 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
if not there needs to be.I'm not as hardcore about collecting local stuff as some of the other strutters on this board but I definitly love to find/ track down local stuff.Figuring that Los Angeles is so spread out and such an entertainment based city and with so much soul & jazz music coming through here someone somewhere would have mae a site dedicated to it.I mean if places Indiana and Ohio have sites dedicated to their soul & jazz music heritage than large cities like LA, SF, NY, NO, and Chicago should have one too

Comments

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    guess you gotta make it happen.

hook up dreamweaver, add scans, clips, stories, then add link to post in soulstrut.

you got alot? i could help out. my stuff is small potatoes compared to most locs from out here.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i had one for all of the bay. like 200+ titles but i couldnt get my picture game together. scanner broke and i think i overwhelmed $1Bin with the amount i gave him to help me. big up to yoderific for supplying the space.

if someone in the bay has a scanner and wants to put in some work... holler.

• i had one for all of the bay. like 200+ titles but i couldnt get my picture game together. scanner broke and i think i overwhelmed $1Bin with the amount i gave him to help me. big up to yoderific for supplying the space.

I'm saying it makes perfect sense for people here to make an informative and enjoyable rackord site about theri local music culture.

Lotusland[/b] Check thyne PM's

• I've been thinking of expanding my database to multiple states and consolidating a lot of material around the Internet. If I can get one Strut volunteer from each of the 50 states it could happen!

Jason
    www.indiana45s.com

• JazoistJazoist 78 Posts
    Maybe these guys would have to be more busy:

http://home.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0501d&L=rw2c-discussion&P=69

Most locals are relativating their music, that's why this stuff is obscure in the first place I suppose. Some exceptions, but it's not common to make a project out of your own local stuff.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    i had one for all of the bay. like 200+ titles but i couldnt get my picture game together. scanner broke and i think i overwhelmed $1Bin with the amount i gave him to help me. big up to yoderific for supplying the space.

I could help with the web/database aspect of it. No scanner though.

DJ Ferrari

• i had one for all of the bay. like 200+ titles but i couldnt get my picture game together. scanner broke and i think i overwhelmed $1Bin with the amount i gave him to help me. big up to yoderific for supplying the space.

I could help with the web/database aspect of it. No scanner though.

DJ Ferrari

California is pretty vast and I think lumping in the music from the bay with the music from LA wouldn't be good. That said I'm still down to make something happen. I got my rackord, my lack of knowledge on how to do record reviews and a digital camera.

Tell me when to go

Most locals are relativating their music, that's why this stuff is obscure in the first place I suppose. Some exceptions, but it's not common to make a project out of your own local stuff.

what? im sorry i dont understand what youre saying.

ivan - yeah i only need a scanner dude. my pal dave just scanned and recorded a handful of pieces. maybe in the next few weeks ill see if yoder still has the partial site up and ill put some shit together.

still need a scanner though. i guess i could just take camera shots of them? hmmm...

dab - i would never mix socal with norcal. ever. with that said ive claimed everything from fresno up to the border as bay/norcal... you should talk to mike vague (how do you spell his last name? vegh, vagh?) weve talked before about doing a california collab. hes got the vinyl and the knowledge. talk to him..

what? im sorry i dont understand what youre saying.

Awkay, well I'm not sure if I was talking to you actually.. I guess not. never mind.

Makes it about time to leave again and say 'Fuck you all'.

dude... i didnt say anything. i just didnt understand what you were saying and wanted to. i read that thing about San Diego and i know the guy they were talking about in the email, Steve Kader.

im on two pain medications and kinda high so i was just curious as to what you were writing.

for real i meant no harm or disrespect...

am i the fucking antichrist here or what? jesus...

• am i the fucking antichrist here or what? jesus...

can you shapeshift?

PS I'll see Mike Vague this weekend and talk to him about it. without a doubt he 45 knowledge and collection is unfuckwitable.

'Fuck you all'.

Mike Vague .... 45 knowledge and collection is unfuckwitable.

but will he give up the scans??

• Mike Vague .... 45 knowledge and collection is unfuckwitable.

Indeed, that's the question. Lot's o' cats cluchin' their collections like some kind of pot of gold.

Jinx: Bay Area 45s is still running.

• As many of you know, Jason P. already has the Carolinas on lock. Someone needs to finish off VA. I know alot of you out there have info on Virginia, especially that dude who puts out the Ol' VA soul CDs. I'm already covering DC and MD, and the site is nearly suitable for launch ( www.dcsoulrecordings.com )

I've been thinking of expanding my database to multiple states and consolidating a lot of material around the Internet. If I can get one Strut volunteer from each of the 50 states it could happen!

Jason
    www.indiana45s.com

Mike Vague .... 45 knowledge and collection is unfuckwitable.

Indeed, that's the question. Lot's o' cats cluchin' their collections like some kind of pot of gold.

definitely!! i just fell out.

"never, never the precious"

this (proposed) site will be all about exposing peoples "precious"

soulstrut should have like a seperate index page for the 3 sites that are actually doing this (ohio, indiana, carolina's). wouldn't be too hard and alot more people would be checking the sites, getting up on some good clean american funk knowledge. kudos to all who have done this already. even though i'm not from los angeles (or have nearly enough records from this place) i feel like it is time to do this. la's gross output is so vast and yet no site exists. with a lil help i'm sure this page will take off and eventually be smoking hot. i also want to one up the 3 existing sites by including 12" scans. if not for only just "jackie cole"- "i've got a troubleman" alone. p.s. anyone got that shit!!