Sample snitching - Fishscale

ChequeDaEditChequeDaEdit 135 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
http://xxlmag.com/online/?p=739Posting the original samples to two uncleared tracks seems quite wack for Hip hop journalist to do. Then what is even wacker is to print "Ask O-dub" above it, like if he's trying pass on the responsibility of leaking the sample sources.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Concrete shoes.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    http://xxlmag.com/online/?p=739

Posting the original samples to two uncleared tracks seems quite wack for Hip hop journalist to do. Then what is even wacker is to print "Ask O-dub" above it, like if he's trying pass on the responsibility of leaking the sample sources.

That's some weak shit. How does this guy know they haven't been cleared? Album sleeves/CD booklets don't always tell the whole story. It'd be unusual for a sample to be cleared without a credit, but it wouldn't be unheard of. For instance, they might have signed off on the deal too late for the artwork, which would be a little careless, granted, but still...

• I have also heard that sometimes a sampling artist will pay more to not have the sample listed in their liner notes. Has anyone else heard of that???

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Uh,

"this guy" is Elliot Wilson. Aka Editor in Chief of XXL Magazine. Not some random blogger who's only reading off a liner notes list.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Uh,

"this guy" is Elliot Wilson. Aka Editor in Chief of XXL Magazine. Not some random blogger who's only reading off a liner notes list.

...but this is the bizarro world of SoulStrut!

Uh,

...but this is the bizarro world of SoulStrut!

True zat!

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Any reason how or why they assume not everything was cleared?

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    MF Doom sampled MF Doom

"This guy" is diggin deep.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Haha, Wilson is a herb...

Now post your resume or you're soft.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I feel a coming on...

• Uh,

I was fully aware that Elliot Wilson wrote that piece and I am also of his current occupation, thanks for stating the obvious.

Secondly I personally felt it was wrong for mr. Wilson to post up the uncleared samples; as for the other cleared samples I could careless if he posted them or not. I am not trying to take away the responsibility of the artist to clear their samples (i believe that the original artists should be acknowledged and rightfully compensated) but I feel that uncleared sample sources should be not mentioned in any publication so avoid any legal problems for the sampling artist. I personally just want to enjoy my sample-based tunes for many years to comes.

Just imagine if the Donuts samples sources were publicized and J Dilla's estate had to deal with the pains of legal action.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    He doesn't even name the artists/songtitles of these supposedly 'uncleared' tracks as far I can tell

Just imagine if the Donuts samples sources were publicized and J Dilla's estate had to deal with the pains of legal action.

I'm under the impression that Stones Throw are still considered 'little fish' and don't need to clear anything...

I'm under the impression that Stones Throw are still considered 'little fish' and don't need to clear anything...

The loom rather large in the minds of some members of our little community...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

i'm just guessing, but maybe they weighed the risks of not clearing all the songs (for a load of money) against being called out on a song or two and opted for the latter.

i'm not sure i'm even wording this correctly, i hope i'm making sense

• He doesn't even name the artists/songtitles of these supposedly 'uncleared' tracks as far I can tell

I'll you give that he doesn't mention the song/artist names. But having the audio available helps a person get closer to finding out the source.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

I think they clear alot of their stuff; I know that they don't look kindly to people sampling their material without clearance. PBW's mom had a record & I believe there were some issues when a board member wanted to sample that for the breakbeatraer comp.

A strong resume does not make you exempt from herbish behaviour...

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Concrete shoes.

im with HarveyCanal on this one.

jesus. look what i just wrote.

A strong resume does not make you exempt from herbish behaviour...

You're looking soft. Like you're made of cake with poptart frosting on top.

Now post that resume.

Now post that resume.

Be quiet, ponce.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Now post that resume.

Be quiet, ponce.

It has just been tooken there.

I think they clear alot of their stuff; I know that they don't look kindly to people sampling their material without clearance. PBW's mom had a record & I believe there were some issues when a board member wanted to sample that for the breakbeatraer comp.

Are you trying to tell me everything on that comp was cleared?

I find that difficult to believe...

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

I doubt it, but I think there was a song that wasn't going to be included because of ST's rep for going after people who sample their music.

• I think they clear alot of their stuff; I know that they don't look kindly to people sampling their material without clearance. PBW's mom had a record & I believe there were some issues when a board member wanted to sample that for the breakbeatraer comp.

I doubt it, but I think there was a song that wasn't going to be included because of ST's rep for going after people who sample their music.

rumor has it that ST liked the track and didn't ask for anything.

Uh,

I was fully aware that Elliot Wilson wrote that piece and I am also of his current occupation, thanks for stating the obvious.

Secondly I personally felt it was wrong for mr. Wilson to post up the uncleared samples

Why? He didn't name anything though he did post the two songs in question. I'm not understanding your objection, especially if you don't care if he posted what had been cleared.

And do you not think that artists who get their shit sampled don't have the right to actually, you know, earn off that?

Please to refer your self-righteous self to the Monty Starks/Black Eyed Peas thread (provided, Ghost does not have Will's pockets).

Also, Moss seems to indicate that the track he did for the album was, in fact, cleared.

And do you not think that artists who get their shit sampled don't have the right to actually, you know, earn off that?

*gasp*

We are confronted with two opposing hustles and must determine which one to knock! The input of an expert such as Reynaldo is required.

*gasp*

We are confronted with two opposing hustles and must determine which one to knock! The input of an expert such as Reynaldo is required.

It's all relative. If it's Monty being sampled, people will rise up and defend his right to earn. Some Canadian metric album? The attitude = fuck 'em.

*gasp*

It's all relative. If it's Monty being sampled, people will rise up and defend his right to earn. Some Canadian metric album? The attitude = fuck 'em.

Pretty much. I would add only that whether or not people like the artist doing the sampling has a lot to do with it. If it's Black Eyed Peas? Sic the lawyers on 'em.