Question about record sales lists and new ipod dj

mumbosaucemumbosauce 480 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Sometimes I see people posting weekly record sales lists. They came from some website but the only one I could find is billboard and they charge along with ascap too. Is there some free site that tells you how many sales a certain artist got in the first week or just how many records an artist has sold.Also anyone seen the new ipod DJ bullshit. It looks like they might have done it correct this time. uh-oh watch everybody start bringing this badboy to the club and house parties now. Seriously if I was doing cabaret's and weddings I would get this but clubs nah.

Comments

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    well that's at least a lot cooler than the first one where you had to have two ipods to use it.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    well that's at least a lot cooler than the first one where you had to have two ipods to use it.

werd.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    Sometimes I see people posting weekly record sales lists. They came from some website but the only one I could find is billboard and they charge along with ascap too. Is there some free site that tells you how many sales a certain artist got in the first week or just how many records an artist has sold.

This is called Sound Scan. It's another Neilsen division, the same people who claim thrity million people are watching Idol.

Try not to put much stock in SS figures on smaller records as a huge percentage of indie stores don't scan. Shit, even big records aren't always tracked accurately. If you're interested in the various weightings, there's been at lest 15 articles published in the last three years. Search "Vagrant records" Sound+Scan and something should pop up.

On a related note, anyone hear about this Ne-Yo / Hawthorne Heights "battle" a few weeks back?

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts

I hope this is real and it does what they say on the site...

• Sometimes I see people posting weekly record sales lists. They came from some website but the only one I could find is billboard and they charge along with ascap too. Is there some free site that tells you how many sales a certain artist got in the first week or just how many records an artist has sold.

This is called Sound Scan. It's another Neilsen division, the same people who claim thrity million people are watching Idol.

Try not to put much stock in SS figures on smaller records as a huge percentage of indie stores don't scan. Shit, even big records aren't always tracked accurately. If you're interested in the various weightings, there's been at lest 15 articles published in the last three years. Search "Vagrant records" Sound+Scan and something should pop up.

On a related note, anyone hear about this Ne-Yo / Hawthorne Heights "battle" a few weeks back?

yeah I well aware of soundscan I meant soundscan instead of ascap. good looking though.

but I know there is a free listing somewhere. I just want to get a general idea of what is supposedly being sold. I know that a lot of small stores don't scan and that alot of majors buy back records to shoot up scan numbers.

I am pretty sure I have seen people post a link to a site on here before that looked legit with the numbers.

edit: oh and the hawthorne heights anti ne-yo joint [here at mtv.com]